Here's a Poser for you.......

This is a discussion on Here's a Poser for you....... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a "shorty" Shotgun. Double barrel, 12GA. The barrel is 12" long and the stock (Handgrip) is 12" long. YES I have BATFE paperwork ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Here's a Poser for you.......

I have a "shorty" Shotgun. Double barrel, 12GA. The barrel is 12" long and the stock (Handgrip) is 12" long. YES I have BATFE paperwork for this item. I have a holster ala James Caan in the movie "El Dorado".

Here's the question....

If I am wearing this rig under a long coat, does my concealed license cover it?

I have a concealed "handgun" permit (Va. issue). The gun can be fired with one hand using 1" shells.

If you know for SURE, please advise.

Id hate to be in an SD shooting with it and be the man in front of the jury with the prosecutor telling everybody you went roaming around with a shotgun under your coat.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Lolololololol
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Is this 1895 ??
    Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    If you are living your life worried about being a victim all the time and not enjoying life to the fullest, you are already a victim...
    -You don't know what you don't see-

1*

NRA Member

Come on, folks....I asked in good faith.
    I'm serious about this.

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Just from a tactical standpoint you have a twoshot weapon, so you're carring a giant Derringer, I would rethink this.
    Also check your local laws, not sure in your state but in Florida Shotguns are specifically not allowed for Concealed Carry.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    Having lived in Virginia all my life I have to say this is quite a question. I'm not a lawyer but personally I would doubt the VA CHP would cover it. The reason is that the handgun is normally designed to be used in one hand. The shotgun (cut down or not) is normally a two handed firearm. I wouldn't carry it concealed until I talked to a lawyer who is well versed in VA gunlaws. It is an intrigueing subject I must admit. I'd like to know a definative answer to it as well.

Shotgun

I am not a lawyer. I carry a Tarus Judge sometimes. That is legal with a shotgun round (410). Bond makes a derringer with a shot gun round (410). You can carry with both of those. I guess anyone can make an issue about anything some one may carry. I would recommend to only carry with Buck Shot or a slug.

for your cc permit to cover it i would think that it would have to be classified as "handgun" under your states laws. i don't see how it would be any different than using a Taurus Judge with 410 shells or using shot shells in a standard hand gun. however i would not personally use any of the above because of the increased risk of harming a bystander with the bb spread, and because of the tendency of prosecutors to try and get a conviction because people use ammo that is designed to be more deadly, like hand loaded ammo. so while it would be awesome, and even if it was legal, i personally wouldn't do it.
    "My weapon has never hurt anyone. It never will. If someone dies by my hand, it is my fault. The weapon is blameless." - Mikhail Kalashnikov

Sic Nos Sic Sacra Tuemur- family motto, translation: Thus We Guard Our Sacred Rights

Quote Originally Posted by TerriLi View Post
    Just from a tactical standpoint you have a twoshot weapon, so you're carring a giant Derringer, I would rethink this.
    Also check your local laws, not sure in your state but in Florida Shotguns are specifically not allowed for Concealed Carry.
    but from a tactical stand point ur carrying a shot gun... id think that a BG who would chance rushing a hang gun would think twice about a a 12 ga
    "My weapon has never hurt anyone. It never will. If someone dies by my hand, it is my fault. The weapon is blameless." - Mikhail Kalashnikov

Sic Nos Sic Sacra Tuemur- family motto, translation: Thus We Guard Our Sacred Rights

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zsnake View Post
    Come on, folks....I asked in good faith.
    I'm serious about this.
    Seriously, would you want a DA telling the jury you were dressed up like a 'movie cowboy' just waiting for someone to shoot....

Whether it's legal or not, it would not be a smart thing to do....
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Based on VA legislation defining "handgun", I do not believe that your weapon as described would qualify. I wouldn't want to take a chance (or spend the money on a lawyer) to defend it. Carry a Taurus Judge, which does qualify as a handgun and fired 410 shotgun rounds (as well as 45 lc)
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

GM
    WOW … I am jealous now! Congrats to the Super-Shorty. Please post some pics asap. I do not have a clue if your CHP covers it or not; just a wild shoot, why do you not call the circuit court of the county or city there you live or the state police and ask about it?
    Although some websites advertise the Super-Shorty like a CC firearm I should not trust that information at all; or any information from the Internet for that matter.
    Did you get the Mossberg or the Remington model?
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Quote Originally Posted by GUDWyo View Post
    for your cc permit to cover it i would think that it would have to be classified as "handgun" under your states laws. i don't see how it would be any different than using a Taurus Judge with 410 shells or using shot shells in a standard hand gun. however i would not personally use any of the above because of the increased risk of harming a bystander with the bb spread, and because of the tendency of prosecutors to try and get a conviction because people use ammo that is designed to be more deadly, like hand loaded ammo. so while it would be awesome, and even if it was legal, i personally wouldn't do it.
    The Judge is legal because it has a rifled barrel and can shoot a 45LC. To the OP, i am merely speculating but i would have to say it would be illegal to conceal carry, but legal to own and "open" carry with the proper paperwork.
    Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    If you are living your life worried about being a victim all the time and not enjoying life to the fullest, you are already a victim...
    -You don't know what you don't see-

1*

NRA Member

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    Id hate to be in an SD shooting with it and be the man in front of the jury with the prosecutor telling everybody you went roaming around with a shotgun under your coat.
    I should hate even more to be involved in a SD shooting when I am the one standing in the FRONT of the Super-Shorty
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links