Scared at Costco

Scared at Costco

This is a discussion on Scared at Costco within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Today my family (Wife, her mother and her step-father) went to Costco for our weekly shelf stocking and to take advantage of their free samples. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scared at Costco

Scared at Costco

Today my family (Wife, her mother and her step-father) went to Costco for our weekly shelf stocking and to take advantage of their free samples.

When we were through eating our hot dogs we made the long trek out to the parking lot to find our vehicle when suddenly an older man with a long straggly white beard starting hollering "Hey!, Hey YOU!" looking right at us. He was making a point to come in our direction from my immediate 12 o'clock. He quickened his pace toward us and kept yelling. At about 20 feet, away, ( I was in condition orange quickly elevating to red) when my Step Father-in-law yelled back "Hey I know you!" It was an old friend. Thank goodness.

They talked for a while, I was putting the purchases in the car, and we left. A little while later I told my step father-in-law that situation made me uneasy. They all joked about me blowing away a long time friend of the family in the parking lot of Costco. I didn't find it funny in the slightest, but I did breath a sigh of relief that nothing major happened.

It really didn't cross my mind to go for my gun, it did and it didn't. Let me explain what my thought process was in the short time this happened. "Who's yelling and why? oh there he is, what does he want? Is he a threat to me or my family? yes but no weapon, what does he want? should I step in front of everyone real quick and try to intercept him before he gets to someone else? If I suspect a weapon, I'm going for it. (my hand went back to the 3:30 position), Oh Thank God, Hes a friend." All that happened within something like 7 seconds.

Just thought I would share that little story that happened. Something exciting that doesnt happen everyday.

Cool

To me, it sounds like a bit of paronoia. Sounds like the man did nothing agressive other than approaching your direction. It happens often.

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    I would say that it's a good thing your family is comfortable with your instincts and not freaking out that you were hypersensetive. Way to keep your head, and stay safe.
    Walk softly ...

All's well that ends well. Chalk it up as experience and you're awareness and reaction will improve.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Thumbs up Re;

Quote Originally Posted by hdawson View Post
    To me, it sounds like a bit of paronoia. Sounds like the man did nothing agressive other than approaching your direction. It happens often.
    to me, it sounds like being prepared... good SA...
    Glock 19 in a Crossbreed supertuck EDC

Ruger LCP W/ CT "the go anywhere gun" EDC

"ALWAYS carry!NEVERtell!" Thumper

Any one I don't know that is trying that hard to close the gap gets my full undivided attention and there is a certain point where I will stop them from approaching any closer

One can never be to cautious...always have a plan.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    "When we were through eating our hot dogs we made the long trek out to the parking lot to find our vehicle when suddenly an older man with a long straggly white beard starting hollering "Hey!, Hey YOU!" looking right at us. He was making a point to come in our direction from my immediate 12 o'clock. He quickened his pace toward us and kept yelling. At about 20 feet, away, ( I was in condition orange quickly elevating to red) when my Step Father-in-law yelled back "Hey I know you!" It was an old friend. Thank goodness."

Awareness by itself is useless,you need a plan.

At 20 feet it was almost too late to do anything without
    possible harm coming to one of your group.
    (you were aware of the threat before that )

Since we can't generally shoot or beat on people for startling us ,the only other option to defend the group was to interpose yourself between them and the threat.

Hopefully you could deter a possible attacker by
    unexpectedly blocking their route and responding
    vocally.

Rule # 1 is to make using your weapon unnecessary
    by avoiding a violent confrontation.

Don't just see the threat - remove the threat.

-------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    what are you saying?...he should have shot him?...

jezuz...you guys scare me....if every time someone approaches we have to go into some kind of friggin code colored spectrum we really need to evaluate our medication level...

by the way...i didnt see a plan in the op...just that uneasy feeling that could be described as freaking out...at least enough to post the information here...wow...

Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post
    ...if every time someone approaches we have to go into some kind of friggin code colored spectrum we really need to evaluate our medication level...
    Pretty much I'm going to employ the color code of awareness 24/7. And be very skeptical of anyone getting close to me, whom I don't know. Maybe even a few that I do
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

You played it right. Yes, your were scared, about what might have happened. But you didn't present your weapon, you didn't fire and you didn't kill anyone. I guess that most encounters happen like this, out of the blue with little or no warning, and your brain trying to decide between fight or flight. You did right because all ended well. I hope that I would be as level headed as you in the same circumstances.

Is he a threat to me or my family? yes but no weapon ...
    Yes??

A threat requires far more, IMO, than merely walking toward you, or even walking toward you trying to get your attention. I mean, after all, it was inside a crowded store and you were with a number of people in a group. There should be a clear difference between threatening behavior and other behavior. As some suggest, context is everything.

Of course, this requires you to allow people greater proximity, greater access, etc., prior to judging the contact as a threat. But, this is a society of liberties, with free movement by citizens. Keep in mind that the other person is a citizen, too, with all the rights and responsibilities that you have.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    A threat requires far more, IMO, than merely walking toward you, or even walking toward you trying to get your attention. I mean, after all, it was inside a crowded store and you were with a number of people in a group. There should be a clear difference between threatening behavior and other behavior. As some suggest, context is everything.
    "If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail."

Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post
    what are you saying?...he should have shot him?...

jezuz...you guys scare me....if every time someone approaches we have to go into some kind of friggin code colored spectrum we really need to evaluate our medication level...

by the way...i didnt see a plan in the op...just that uneasy feeling that could be described as freaking out...at least enough to post the information here...wow...
    Wow indeed. It is doubtful the "threat" was yelling in an angry voice since he was hailing a friend. Just the approach alone almost sent the op into condition red. Very scary. There are many reasons he could have been approaching, a forgotten credit card, package, dropped wallet etc. There are MANY people on this board who see every unexpected interpersonal encounter as a mortal threat. Its ridiculous.

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Well for me personally, I don't care for extreme extroverts who yell "Hey You" from across the store. Also if he knew them why wouldn't he call by name instead of Hey you? Not that it comes down to drawing or anything, but I can see how it would make one uncomfortable all right.
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links