2 carry signs at a bar last night!! one yes and one no?

This is a discussion on 2 carry signs at a bar last night!! one yes and one no? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey all i have a question, i play in a band and last night we were playing at On The Rox Bar II. its a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 carry signs at a bar last night!! one yes and one no?

2 carry signs at a bar last night!! one yes and one no?

Hey all i have a question, i play in a band and last night we were playing at On The Rox Bar II. its a new establishment on Cypress N Houston rd in Cypress TX.
    Well as i walk in, i notice the 51% sign and didnt pay any attention really as its a bar, No food, and i leave my kimber secure in my truck, but as i took a second look at the signs, next to the 51% sign, was the sign that reads "the unlicenced possesion of a firearm on the premises is a felony sign". whats the deal? i was gonna snap a pic with my crackberry but the signs were really high up, it was dark, and i didnt wanna look like a wierdo.

chep
    Dont mistake Kindness for Weakness!!!
    Kimber Ultra Carry II
    Kel-Tec PF-9
    Ruger SP 101 2 1/4" 357 mag

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    I saw the "unlicensed possession" sign on a trip to Texas also. I think it was in a bodega.

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    The 51% sign will trump it. It's still a felony to carry there. Those "unlicensed possession" signs are not legally valid.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

yeah better safe than sorry, and if its a bar, then its a bar.
    "In those days, there was a lot more respect for other people and it showed in peoples values.... Today the word value means nothing more than something you get on the $1 menu at McDonald's." -BARK'N

You can't carry at a bar in TX?

Why does every praise TX gun laws...they suck!

Quote Originally Posted by G19inLV View Post

Well...if an establishment earns 51% or more of their revenue from alcohol sales, it's off limits. The sign is an easy way of seeing who does and doesn't (until recently, Arizona was the same way) If there is no sign present, I think it's ok to carry there (but I may be wrong, IANAL).

I've seen plenty of the "Unauthorized possession" signs at restaurants here. Basically, those are simply informing people who are already carrying illegally that it is a felony to carry there. For people with permits, those don't really apply.

Even if the bar had both, the 51% sign is the important one.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Quote Originally Posted by pcon View Post
    Well...if an establishment earns 51% or more of their revenue from alcohol sales, it's off limits. The sign is an easy way of seeing who does and doesn't (until recently, Arizona was the same way) If there is no sign present, I think it's ok to carry there (but I may be wrong, IANAL).

I've seen plenty of the "Unauthorized possession" signs at restaurants here. Basically, those are simply informing people who are already carrying illegally that it is a felony to carry there. For people with permits, those don't really apply.

Even if the bar had both, the 51% sign is the important one.
    Well that law stinks. I have been thinking about moving to TX, but the more and more I learn about it, the more I feel like I will be losing my rights.

In NV, you can not only carry into a bar, but you can drink up until a .10! Not that I condone it..but it's nice to know I don't have to leave it in the car just to walk in one.

And yet you don't hear of drunk CCW holders shooting each other..go figure. I think states like NV show that it can be done.

(until recently, Arizona was the same way) .
    Beg to differ here. Until recently, in AZ, carrying in ANY business that served alcohol for consumption on the premises was illegal.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar

Yeah Texas IS NOT an Open Carry State..... What the heck???
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

In some states carrying a gun while intoxicated is illegal,If I get in a SD situation I don't want the fact that my judgement may have been impaired by alcohol to be a factor in the investigation,Remember guns and alcohol don't mix
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by Teufelhunde View Post
    Beg to differ here. Until recently, in AZ, carrying in ANY business that served alcohol for consumption on the premises was illegal.

That's not entirely true. You could legally carry inside an applebees or something, you just couldn't sit at the bar and do so.

At least that's what our instructor told us. I went through the class in Mesa and at the time (according to him) if they weren't making most (51% or more) of their revenue from alcohol, it was still ok to go in.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Well that law stinks. I have been thinking about moving to TX, but the more and more I learn about it, the more I feel like I will be losing my rights.

In NV, you can not only carry into a bar, but you can drink up until a .10! Not that I condone it..but it's nice to know I don't have to leave it in the car just to walk in one.

And yet you don't hear of drunk CCW holders shooting each other..go figure. I think states like NV show that it can be done.
    I'd recommend staying in Nevada, if that's your main requirement for residence.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    In some states carrying a gun while intoxicated is illegal,If I get in a SD situation I don't want the fact that my judgement may have been impaired by alcohol to be a factor in the investigation,Remember guns and alcohol don't mix
    I can't agree more. I'm actually ok with not being able to carry inside a bar. I do go to them with friends and have a good time. If I don't feel comfortable in one, then I leave. I know you never know when something will happen, but I also don't let a fear of that stop me from living my life.

Alcohol and guns don't mix at all. I would disarm going in to somewhere I knew I'd be drinking at even if it was legal to go in armed.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    The 51% sign is the one that holds legal weight AFAIK.

Well...if an establishment earns 51% or more of their revenue from alcohol sales, it's off limits.
    I'm no expert, LEO, or lawyer, but I'm pretty sure it's if "an establishment earns 51% or more of their revenue from alcohol sales to be consumed ON SITE." You should be able to carry into a liquor store since 51% of their revenue is alcohol not consumed on site. I hope that makes sense, and correct me if I'm wrong.

But yes, I'd like to see Texas allow OC and being able to carry in a bar. Make it illegal to drink and carry a gun IMO, but just because you're a designated driver doesn't mean you can't arm yourself from any drunk who wants to pick a fight.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNinjaGo View Post
    The 51% sign is the one that holds legal weight AFAIK.

I'm no expert, LEO, or lawyer, but I'm pretty sure it's if "an establishment earns 51% or more of their revenue from alcohol sales to be consumed ON SITE."
    You're correct. Thanks for the clarification. It does need to be consumed "on site" for it to be off limits.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links