Best non-resident CCWs for PA?

This is a discussion on Best non-resident CCWs for PA? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have my CCW in PA, a "shall-issue" state which does not require taking any type of certification or course. I will soon be taking ...

Thread: Best non-resident CCWs for PA?

Best non-resident CCWs for PA?

I have my CCW in PA, a "shall-issue" state which does not require taking any type of certification or course. I will soon be taking a "Personal Defense in the Home" course offered by my local range and taught by local LE, but this is not mandatory.

What would be the best state(s) to get a non-resident permit in, in order to expand my range of carry? Obviously I don't want to have to put out the $$$ to take a course in order to get the permit. Would the above-mentioned course or a letter of recommendation from the instructing LEO (assuming he would recommend me ) fulfill any qualifications?

Also - any recommendations on how I can carry in MD? They are very restrictive on residents; how in the world does a non-resident get a permit there? Anybody out there have experience with MD?

Thanks in advance for any input -
    LibertyGal
    Requiring a license makes it illegal to do something that was lawful before the license was required.

2. Remove Ads

Closed Account Array Steelhorse's Avatar

Omnibus

In MD it is almost impossible for a non-resident to get a permit. For that matter most MD residents can't either. Don't waste your time, hard earned cash or hope.

Utah and Florida offer the best ccw coverages. Florida, having more reciprocity than recognition....but more expensive. Utah, more recognized than reciprocity.....but considerbly less expensive.

Go to http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USReciprocity.pdf or http://www.packing.org/ to get information about non resident ccw.

Non resident Florida $117/5 years good in: AK, AL, AR, AZ, CO, DE, FL, GA, ID, IN, KY, LA, MO, MS, MT, NC, ND, NM, OH, OK, PA, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, VT, WY

Non resident Utah $59 /5 years good in: AK, AL, AR, AZ, CO, DE, GA, ID, IN, KY, LA, MN, MO, MS, MT, NC, ND, NM, OH, OK, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, VT, WA, WY
    Last edited by Steelhorse; May 12th, 2006 at 09:06 AM.

VIP Member
    I would look at the states you want to carry in and decide. You should know that your personal info is fair game in Florida, where Utah has a law protecting your privacy. Also a Utah non-resident permit is not good in Michigan. Michigan only recognizes resident permits. So your PA permit is good there. Most states require an NRA course to meet their training requirement. Other courses may be accepted if the instructor applies and has their course certified by the state. So I would check to see if the course you are attending is an NRA course. Utah requires their version of the course be taken. You can look on the web for Utah certified instructors.

The best way to carry in Maryland is unloaded, ammo separate from the firearm and the firearm locked in a case inaccessible from where you are. That should keep you from being arrested. Otherwise unless you have tens of thousands of dollars to pour into a politician's campaign in Maryland you can forget it.

-Scott-

Assistant Administrator
    LG - I just added the FL somewhat over a year ago - and tho I still don't have all the coverage I'd like it is not bad. Only problem anyone will have is supplying their proof of some training - fortunately my NRA certifications covered that.

Sadly we are surrounded by ''hostiles'' - so to ''escape'' the state we have to traverse these to get to friendlies!

Indeed re MD - do not even think about carry - and that is a prime reason I all but avoid being in the state at all. I resent having to disarm when there. The one addition FL gives me most usefully is VA.

My current total is shown on the map -
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    (edited to show now that OH is in fact included thx to D-Ric's mention.)

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

P95Carry;
    I think Ohio has an agreement with Florida now

Assistant Administrator
    D-Ric - ahhh thx - well must check that out. I went thru the notes I had made and did not have it listed but had a feeling it should be on the FL.

Just checked and yeah - you are dead right - appreciate the reminder! I must tweak my map now to make it right.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by LibertyGal
    Also - any recommendations on how I can carry in MD?
    The easy answer to that one is secured in the trunk of your car, while passing through the state. And sadly that is also the only answer unless you are going to a range in Maryland. Maryland law currently doesn't even allow of a stop en-route while transporting.

They are very restrictive on residents; how in the world does a non-resident get a permit there? Anybody out there have experience with MD?
    Applying for a Maryland permit of any type, unless you are one of the chosen few is nothing more than making a charitable contribution the the state treasury. I's bet you can think of much better ways to waste money.

Sorry the news isn't better.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

VIP Member
    I have my Alabama resident permit and have sent in my app for Utah. At the end of this month I will send off for New Hampshire. New Hampshire is a good one to get because it has a good number of states and because it only requires having a resident permit in another state. The cost is minimal: $20 for 4 years.

I intentionally did not go with the Florida non-resident because of the cost of training and the cost of the permit. It was not cost efficient because when added to Alabama resident and NH non-resident it only provided one more state than the Utah when added to AL and NH at twice the price of the Utah.

It seems to me that the first choice you would make would be to add NH. This would add Alabama, Colorado, Mississippi, North Dakota, and Texas to your states provided by the PA permit. Based on my reading of NH's and PA's reciprocity lists anyway.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

VIP Member
    Fl or UT (which costs far less.) If your Pa isn't honored in FL and you must visit FL, then get the FL. Fed Codes state that interstate transportation requires unloaded (not even an empty mag in the well) and the gun and ammo must be (together) in a trunk or a locked box (for SUV or PU.) Get a thin cash box from Wal-Mart or Office Max and pad it, tether it if you wish, and put it in a bag or out of sight when travelling through the bad states.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Links