Kel Tec P-11 magazine rattle

This is a discussion on Kel Tec P-11 magazine rattle within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello all. The magazine rattle problem has reared its ugly head again. When 9 rounds are loaded into my 10 round magazine it rattles like ...

Thread: Kel Tec P-11 magazine rattle

Question Kel Tec P-11 magazine rattle

Hello all. The magazine rattle problem has reared its ugly head again. When 9 rounds are loaded into my 10 round magazine it rattles like mad. 8 rounds is ok, and so is 10. I normally don't top off my magazines but I have to now. Any other solutions? Buy a Sig P226 or Glock 23RTF, hehe couldn't resist.
    Kel-Tec P-11, Supertuck Deluxe, Wilderness Tactical Original Instructor's Belt

2. Remove Ads

mine doesnt rattle.....
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

Have you tried keltec owners group? Find the forum for your gun and ask away. It's a great resource for KT's.

KTOG.Org - Kel-Tec Owners Group

I keep mine topped off most of the time. Everytime I load a mag I rap it a couple of times in the palm of my hand. Never had a problem.
    If you cannot stand behind our troops feel free to stand in front of them.

GOD BLESS AMERICA!

If you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself..."Baa."

VIP Member
    my keltec doesn't have this rattle, however some of my glock 21 mags do if they are topped off, but not if loaded down by one

there are lots of people that have this issue and I've not heard of any rhyme, reason, or solution
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Same issue with my Glock mags. Just slap them on to the palm of your hand to force all of the rounds to seat towards the back of the magazine and you'll fix the rattle.

I noticed recently that one of the Delta guys does this in Black Hawk Down with an M4 magazine.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Is it that big of a problem, or are you listening for it? If you sound like a muffler about to fall of as you walk, than maybe it's a problem, but otherwise...

My Glock 30 mag will rattle a bit if I shake it, but like the doctor says, if it hurts when you move it, don't. I've never heard it when wearing it, nor has anyone ever asked, "What's that rattling sound? Are you wearing a gun?"
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I am not particularly listening for them but when I walk it sounds like I got spurs on. I think I have heard of this problem before. For now I am just going to top off the mag. I have tried rapping the crud outta the mag to no avail.
    Kel-Tec P-11, Supertuck Deluxe, Wilderness Tactical Original Instructor's Belt

I'm having the same problem with only my 10 round magazine. I have several magazines. I have a 10 & 12 round magazines.

The 12 round doesn't make any sound at all when full. The 10 round magazine still has a slight "rattle" when fully loaded. There is no rattle when there are only 6 rounds in the magazine. Once the 7th round is placed in the magazine the rattle begins. This is a mystery to me.

Maybe we have the same magazines. Here's the serial numbers on my Kel Tec magazines:

10-round: MG-KTP11-10 (rattling magazine)
    12-round: MG-KTP11-12 (no rattle)

Truly a mystery. I don't carry my P-11 as a primary carry handgun as it's my night stand gun. Since it's not my primary carry handgun I'm not too concerned about the rattle of the 10 round magazine.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Look on the KT owners forum about repositioning the follower.

Rattle

Quote Originally Posted by jbum View Post
    Look on the KT owners forum about repositioning the follower.
    I'll try that. Thanks!
    Glock 26

The palm slap should do it. If it still does it while it's in the pistol, it's most likely the top round being depressed slightly but just enough to allow the lower rounds to relax enough for one or two to rattle. IMO, it's shouldn't be a problem as far as the reliability of the pistol, just a little rattling sound on a full mag.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

yes some of my 10 round p11 mags will do it. some don't. what i do is i take a small screw driver and incert it in one of the holes about mid way down. i then push/move/slide some of the rounds. this stops the rattle.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Rattling Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by frankmako View Post
    yes some of my 10 round p11 mags will do it. some don't. what i do is i take a small screw driver and incert it in one of the holes about mid way down. i then push/move/slide some of the rounds. this stops the rattle.
    You were right! I filled the 10-round magazine & it still rattled. Then I pushed the round backward in the magazine with a ball point pen in the top hole 1/2 inch from the top. The round seated itself perfectly. No more rattle!

Thanks for the tip!
    Glock 26

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by louie19 View Post
    Same issue with my Glock mags. Just slap them on to the palm of your hand to force all of the rounds to seat towards the back of the magazine and you'll fix the rattle.

I noticed recently that one of the Delta guys does this in Black Hawk Down with an M4 magazine.
    slapping the mags to set the rounds may work for some, but my G21 mags that rattle do it no matter what I try

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet
    Is it that big of a problem, or are you listening for it? If you sound like a muffler about to fall of as you walk, than maybe it's a problem, but otherwise...
    yes, its a big problem, I carry my spares in left cargo pocket in a mag pouch and they even rattle when I walk
    don't sound like a broken muffler.....yet
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Links