Defensive Carry banner

Lawyers

4K views 45 replies 20 participants last post by  Spec 
#1 ·
Ok, we all know by now that if you happen to be involved in a SD shooting that you shouldn't talk to the police without your lawyer present.

I was wondering, how many of you have taken the time to find a lawyer and program the phone number into your cellphone.

I would think the last thing you want to be doing after shooting someone is trying to find a lawyer while the police are trying to question you.

#5 ·
#4 ·
There are a couple lawyers around here who have their cards handed out during CCW classes. The front is their typical business card info, the back is a checklist of the only 5 or so things you should tell law enforcement until your attorney arrives. A lot of guys around here carry those cards in their wallets.

Specific to your question, I have not programmed a lawyer into my phone.

#8 ·
Ok, we all know by now that if you happen to be involved in a SD shooting that you shouldn't talk to the police without your lawyer present.
rico said:
the back is a checklist of the only 5 or so things you should tell law enforcement until your attorney arrives
Personal Defense's Massad Ayoob - what to do after a self defense shooting:
Hoping and Assuming you survived...

1. Call 911
2. Officer this person attacked me, I will sign the complaint,
3. Officer here is the evidence (knife, gun, ball bat, whatever).
4. Officer these are the witnesses.
5. Officer you will have my full cooperation in 24 hrs after I see my attorney.

#10 ·
Just to throw a wrinkle into this discussion...

How fast could you get a lawyer on the line, tell him what's going on, get his price and get that lawyer his money so he's going to move?

Unless you are family, a friend I'd help with a body, or fall into the "smoking hot and available" catagory...

As an attorney, I'm going to want to get paid before I do more than make a few phone calls on the case.

How fast can you raise about $5,000 to kick things off?

#20 ·
I pay a local attorney a retainer fee once a year. For that I get his laminated card in my wallet that goes right behind the CHL. It has his cell phone number attached to his hip 24/7 on it. Right after calling 911, I get the card out and call him. When the police arrive, I make my statement and hand the officer the card informing him that my attorney is aware of the situation and on the way.

#23 ·
You don't need a lawyer until you are arrested and/or taken in for questioning. Until then, use common sense. Give the LEOs name, address, etc., show permit to CC, as required, but don't volunteer info.

#24 ·
While it's a bit dramatic, the point is that any type of shooting is going to cost you big $$, whether you were right or wrong, so you better be darn sure before you shoot anyone. You can easily lose your house...even if found not guilty. In some states, even if cleared by the police, you can still be taken to civil court over the incident.

Just one more reason to avoid using your gun if you have any other options.

Actually, that's my point. Posting without being constructive is just trolling.

#30 ·
Yes, I have several lawyers (who are clients of mine) available, that are pro 2A, and I know the county DA personally, who is also pro 2A!

#31 ·
I pay him 30 bucks a year to carry the card in my wallet. He is very up front when he tells you what the consequences are for drawing the weapon and using it.

At a minimum, he said that if the weapon gets drawn and nobody gets hurt, it's $10,000 to start off.
If the weapon gets drawn and you kill somebody, it's at least $15,000 for a clean shoot/no-bill. If the case goes to trial, plan on taking out a second mortgage on the house and talk to your insurance company.......

The card also serves a second purpose - just seeing it reminds me of the discussion we had about what he charges for a criminal defense; that makes one think very hard about where and when to draw that weapon...

#32 ·
The card also serves a second purpose - just seeing it reminds me of the discussion we had about what he charges for a criminal defense; that makes one think very hard about where and when to draw that weapon...
Yup. It is most certainly not a Captain America, Get Out Of Jail Free card. It is a last-ditch card, to be used when you've exhausted the final option and you now need to pay for that act. Sobering, isn't it? :yup:

#33 ·
I am currently in the process of questioning the instructors at the local gun clubs and guys at the gun shops, polling to see who they use and who has experience. As soon as I settle on one, I am going to have an initial meeting to figure out how he wants the sequence of events to go, and what it will cost. As people have said, I don't expect it to be cheap, but having a number in your phone for a lawyer you have already talked to and know what to expect could save you a lot of trouble.

#34 ·
I guess that's what i'm getting at Big Stick, almost 500 people have viewed this thread and only a few have thought about who they would call after a shooting. I never thought about until today.

I need a plan.

#39 ·
I have had experience with this once, and I promise you that is about how it will go down. Plan on spending that kind of money for a defense even if it is, as we say in Texas a "no-bill" situation.

What I can tell you about the police is this: Once you notify them as I did that your legal counsel is aware of the situation and is en route, everything changes. You will not be hustled into a room and grilled with the good cop/bad cop thing, they will be as courteous to you as you are to them and they will not push you with any questions because they know the attorney will get any of that stricken mighty quick. You can sit down and compose yourself, and discuss what went down without 5 different people asking you the same question 10 different ways to try and trip you up. When the questioning does occur, he will be there advising you what to answer and what not to, and he will jump down their throats in a heartbeat if they try to get out of line or mislead you.

All in all it is money well spent, especially if you pack the weapon. I think of it as an insurance policy.

#42 ·
Thanks for the advice and I'll take your advice. I would imagine where it went down might have some input how things would go down also wouldn't it?

#40 ·
1. Call 911
2. Officer this person attacked me, I will sign the complaint,
3. Officer here is the evidence (knife, gun, ball bat, whatever).
4. Officer these are the witnesses.
5. Officer you will have my full cooperation in 24 hrs after I see my attorney

There are several good lawyers that I could call to defend me but I know that they will ask for a sizable retainer to do so. Answering only the above will save attorney's fees to get me out of any legal proceedings.

#44 ·
Love has its rewards... my lady (now my wife) works for a sizeable law firm. The firm's specialty is insurance, but they have two criminal defense attorneys who have successfully handled some high-profile cases. My wife is friendly with one of the two and as a result I have his card in my wallet and his number in my phone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.