Maintenance man almost got himself killed

This is a discussion on Maintenance man almost got himself killed within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There are worse things than getting shot as a maintenance man, Let me tell ya a little story............. When I was about 17 I had ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Maintenance man almost got himself killed

There are worse things than getting shot as a maintenance man,
    Let me tell ya a little story.............

When I was about 17 I had a summer job as a maintenance man at an apt. complex.
    so there I was one day going door to door to do pest control.
    I get to this apt and knock.
    No Answer, I Knock again.
    So I use my pass key and open door and yell maintenance.No response
    Sooo I enter and start spraying I do the kitchen living room and bedroom.
    I get to the bathroom and just as I get the door open , The shower curtain gets flung open and theres a 90+ year old woman BUCK NAKED with her walker ..........

we scared the bejesus out of each other and I was scarred for life

2. Remove Ads

Ohhhhh the horror.....
    Ignorance can be cured. Stupid is forever.

Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    I'm wondering if the Maintence guy had to do some "clean up" in his boxer shorts!

Kind of dumb on the Maintence guy's part, especially in this day and time when thieves are very inventive in getting inside.

I work for a County agency and there have been reports of people impersonating us to gain access to people's homes. Sometimes theives will pretend to be Utility workers so they can get inside. You just cannot trust everyone and especially someone who gains access to your place unannounced.
    I bet the next knock on the door was Housekeeping called for a code brown.

I was thinking the same thing about someone posing as maintenance in an apartment or condo setting. I think you did the right thing by checking out his story with the management. Gald no one got hurt. I bet he doesn't do that again once his sphincter gets unbuckled.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    I agree that it would be better to identify the person first. I do not believe that should be the tenants first responsibility though. His first obligation is to protect himself and his family, it is not to look after the safety of some drunk, deaf person, kids, or other irresponsible person. They are second on my list of priorities.

Had the worst happened and the tenant gone to trial I would hope a jury would not convict. I personally not convict because I would think the person entering would have more of a burden of responsibility on his shoulders.

Michael
    For you and several other posters....you can say it all you want. But if you shoot an unarmed person in your house 'that did not pose a lethal threat', you will have a tough time getting a jury to agree...even in TX or similar states. They "might". It will be hard to determine their 'intent.' The burden is all on you, the person with the gun. And either way....you are paying tens of thousands for a lawyer.

And the worst that 'happened' is an innocent dead person, not you on trial. That you now have on your conscience.

So a better idea is taking that extra fraction of a second to "identify whether they are an actual threat or not."

(Which btw, most people here, including you arent disputing...again...it's the 'blow 'em away' rhetoric that makes this mindset sound more common than it is. I point it out because as a gun owner, that isnt the public face I'd like to show when supporting the 2n Amendment)
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by Bigg Daddy View Post
    There are worse things than getting shot as a maintenance man,
    I get to the bathroom and just as I get the door open , The shower curtain gets flung open and theres a 90+ year old woman BUCK NAKED with her walker ..........

we scared the bejesus out of each other and I was scarred for life
    And you still passed the mental guidelines for firearm ownership?!
    Fortune favors the bold.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Had a very similar thing happen to me. Unfortunately in Missouri, there is no law requiring any kind of notice. Landlords can just come and go as they please. One morning our landlord (whom I'd never met, due to being away on gov't business when my wife got the lease) decided to show up unannounced. I was sleeping in due to a late night assignment and hear a man raising his voice at my wife. (She was chastising his lack of common courtesy for just showing up and wanting to conduct a random "walk-through", 'cause it was "his right").
    I open my eyes and see some guy in all black standing in the doorway of my room. I pulled the Glock out from under my pillow, sat up, and chambered a round Hollywood style, with my arms over my head (this was before my current thoughts on carrying chambered). His face goes white and I hear my wife start screaming, "Don't shoot him! It's the landlord!" He very rapidly made his exit with hardly another word other than, "I'll have to come back later."

Later that day I went into the property manager's office and told him what had happened. I told him his landlord was lucky I had been trained to show restraint and make rapid assessments of how much force to use. I told him he might want to give prior notice, as I know I'm not the only firearm owner in the housing development and a few are more "backwoods" than I. I very clearly articulated that in a state of surprise at finding an unidentified man in my house harassing my wife, my first impulse was to revert to my training of "two to the chest, one to the head", whereas some of the other residents might just make swiss-cheese out of him. I think he got the point.

Got a nice apology from the landlord late that afternoon and no more unannounced visits during the next year and a half we lived there.
    NRA Certified Instructor (6 years)
    Former LEO/DOD Contractor
    Active Duty Marine (Martial Arts Instructor)
    Glock 17, Kel-Tec P-11, S&W Model 60, various rifles

I live in an apartment building that I manage, I am lucky only to have 9 units, 7 of which are occupied and all the tenants know me, I still hate to enter units. I always bang on the door announce my self, crack the door announce my self again and then enter.

Anything less in my opinion would be unacceptable

Wow! That was a close one! Well done on holding off on ventilating him but I would sure do more than just make an angry call to the office folk. I think I'd go down there and really let them have a good talking to and really make sure that they understand that their maintenance guy almost got shot.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I am glad that you got out of that all right...
    Bill and Izzie: Proud parents of a soldier.
    I thought of you all day today when I was at the zoo.

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    Wow! That was a close one! Well done on holding off on ventilating him but I would sure do more than just make an angry call to the office folk. I think I'd go down there and really let them have a good talking to and really make sure that they understand that their maintenance guy almost got shot.
    I agree Wow

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    For you and several other posters....you can say it all you want. But if you shoot an unarmed person in your house 'that did not pose a lethal threat', you will have a tough time getting a jury to agree...even in TX or similar states. They "might". It will be hard to determine their 'intent.' The burden is all on you, the person with the gun. And either way....you are paying tens of thousands for a lawyer.

And the worst that 'happened' is an innocent dead person, not you on trial. That you now have on your conscience.

So a better idea is taking that extra fraction of a second to "identify whether they are an actual threat or not."

(Which btw, most people here, including you arent disputing...again...it's the 'blow 'em away' rhetoric that makes this mindset sound more common than it is. I point it out because as a gun owner, that isnt the public face I'd like to show when supporting the 2n Amendment)
    So since it seems from your recent posts on this thread and others that you seem to have a specific mindset. I ask how would you have reacted to the "exact" same situation?

The thing is he didn't shoot. I understand your problem with the orginal post of 99.9% and such. But he didn't shoot. He verified that there wasn't an immediate threat and handled the situation accordingly I believe. Good job!
    Protection is a responsibility not just a right.

Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    So since it seems from your recent posts on this thread and others that you seem to have a specific mindset. I ask how would you have reacted to the "exact" same situation?
    Fair enough.

My firearm would be in my bedroom, out on a shelf on my nightstand.

If someone was entering/had entered my home, I would grab cell phone and head for bedroom (saferoom), return to cover of hallway with gun, and demand person identify themself(ves). From my cover, I would determine the threat level.

If the intruder just busted in and kept coming in a threatening manner (they wouldnt know the floorplan...it's odd)...I'd either hole up in my saferoom and defend that OR if I was in the hallway....shoot. In the latter, I'd be visually IDing them and no one should be aggressively charging my in my own home.

If I was sitting on my couch with my gun (which I wouldnt be but I think the OP was)...I would head for concealment and demand identification and determine threat level with my gun drawn, on target.

I think this last is what you're asking for ^^^. I would not however, shoot an intruder without identifying them 99.9% of the time.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    Fair enough.

My firearm would be in my bedroom, out on a shelf on my nightstand.

If someone was entering/had entered my home, I would grab cell phone and head for bedroom (saferoom), return to cover of hallway with gun, and demand person identify themself(ves). From my cover, I would determine the threat level.

If the intruder just busted in and kept coming in a threatening manner (they wouldnt know the floorplan...it's odd)...I'd either hole up in my saferoom and defend that OR if I was in the hallway....shoot. In the latter, I'd be visually IDing them and no one should be aggressively charging my in my own home.

If I was sitting on my couch with my gun (which I wouldnt be but I think the OP was)...I would head for concealment and demand identification and determine threat level with my gun drawn, on target.

I think this last is what you're asking for ^^^. I would not however, shoot an intruder without identifying them 99.9% of the time.
    I'm not "looking" for anything. I'm just curious about people's mindset. In this case it was yours.

The next time the M-man comes to your door, ask him if he's wearing boxers or briefs...I'll bet his reply will be, "Depends!"

Congrats on quick thinking, and restraint.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links