Maintenance man almost got himself killed - Page 4

Maintenance man almost got himself killed

This is a discussion on Maintenance man almost got himself killed within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by rodc13 Maybe he can get a maintenance badge from the same place that makes the CCW badges . . ....

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Maintenance man almost got himself killed

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rodc13 View Post
    Maybe he can get a maintenance badge from the same place that makes the CCW badges . . .
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

I agree the OP showed considerable restraint.

I have several single family rental homes. If the tenant calls me about a problem I tell them when I will be there. If they told me they would not be there when I arrive I ring the bell, knock LOUDLY, repeat three times. Open the door and YELL LOUDLY, "Landlord".

If I need to go by for any reason I call them first and follow the same procedure.

Going in unannounced would be just plan dumb!

As an Electrician...

I do repairs and the like all the time. People will tell me on the phone to just come in. Prop. Managers tell me that the tenant is expecting me and just go in. NEVER EVER, have I just walked in. Even if I KNOW they're expecting me, I'll crack the door after Knocking really loud and announce who I am and why I'm there, even if I think no-ones home. Its just common sense. But then again, a lot of people don't have any .
    "If everyone was allowed to carry guns, them hijackers wouldn't have no superiority. All you gotta do is arm all the passengers, then no hijacker would risk pullin' a rod."

- Archie Bunker

VIP Member
    Good job bro!

No knock?

Sorry, but I think I would have proned him out on the floor and let the Police figure out if he was employed or not... just me!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Any apartment I ever lived in required 24 hours written notice,anything else was unlawful entry.I own my own home and I am the maintenance man,anybody finds a way to get past my locked doors,and I keep them locked,just made himself a potential statistic for the castle doctrine
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    Fair enough.
    I think this last is what you're asking for ^^^. I would not however, shoot an intruder without identifying them 99.9% of the time.
    I will identify an intruder 100% of the time. I say shoot 99.9% of the time, because if someone is in my home, who I have identified as not someone I know, that means they do not belong there, and because I keep my home secured even when I'm at home, there is a 99.9% chance that they do not have good intentions.

I will NEVER shoot a target I have not identified.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by C9H13NO3 View Post
    I will identify an intruder 100% of the time. I say shoot 99.9% of the time, because if someone is in my home, who I have identified as not someone I know, that means they do not belong there, and because I keep my home secured even when I'm at home, there is a 99.9% chance that they do not have good intentions.

I will NEVER shoot a target I have not identified.
    I am very glad to hear that. And I'm glad you clarified it.

With your percentage tho, looks like this was the last person, ever, to enter unannounced with neutral intentions. In an apt complex....IMO still a dangerous margin.

My point wasnt about your actions. It was about your statement which indicates mindset....I expressed my opinion about that, that's what we're here for. Again, I'm glad no one was hurt.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Wow scary situation and even worse the mgmt let this poor guy just walk around with no uniform or anything.
    Glock 27,Hi-Point .380, S&W 3913, RIA 5" Tactical

NRA Member/Supporter

"Government is not the solution to our problems; government is the problem." - President Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KaH View Post
    My husband works nights and sleeps during day, so I often adjust my sleep schedule so I can sleep at least most of the morning with him.
    We were both dead asleep around lunchtime today and I heard someone knocking loudly on the apartment door across from us. He knocked in two-knock bursts while shouting "Maintenance!" at least five distinct times, pausing a few seconds between each time before I finally heard him use his key and enter the apartment. I then heard him shout "Maintenance!" three more times as he moved through the apartment, just to ensure if anyone was home they knew he was there.
    When I was going to school, I worked with the dorm maintenance staff. This was usually the procedure for entering a dorm room for work.

Good job!
    Management owns the land my home is on, I own the home. I made them very well aware they are not to come into my home without my knowledge UNLESS it is a bonifide emergency. They also KNOW I carry 100% of the time.
    My son, who also carries 100% of the time also encountered a maintenance man entering his apartment, he laid him out handcuffed him, and then called management to come get their idiot employee. Management was upset to say the least, my son said, the locks are going to get changed by ME, if I hear someone entering my apartment without my consent they WILL get shot.
    Management called police who told them the same thing. No enter without advance knowledge of the leasee no matter what it says in the 'form' lease. Of course it helped that my son did work for the locals :-P
    I was on the job checking out an alarm call and just about to put my key in the door when I hear the door being unlocked from the inside. I drew stood back five feet and waited until the door opened. There with his sidearm also out and ready stood a very STUPID alarm company employee. He'd hidden his alarm truck around the corner. VERY dumb, and I gave him AND his dispatcher a good piece of my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    For you and several other posters....you can say it all you want. But if you shoot an unarmed person in your house 'that did not pose a lethal threat', you will have a tough time getting a jury to agree...even in TX or similar states. They "might". It will be hard to determine their 'intent.' The burden is all on you, the person with the gun. And either way....you are paying tens of thousands for a lawyer.

And the worst that 'happened' is an innocent dead person, not you on trial. That you now have on your conscience.

So a better idea is taking that extra fraction of a second to "identify whether they are an actual threat or not."

(Which btw, most people here, including you arent disputing...again...it's the 'blow 'em away' rhetoric that makes this mindset sound more common than it is. I point it out because as a gun owner, that isnt the public face I'd like to show when supporting the 2n Amendment)
    I disagree with so many of the platitudes that are contained here that I don't know where to begin. It's not worth my time to address each of the above statements but let it suffice to say that there is not much that you've advanced that is applicable to my state of residence. I'll also say that as a person that has been on the business end of a strangers gun more times than any living man should, I don't have a lot of sympathy for a person that wishes me or any other decent folk harm just to satisfy their shallow and empty desires. And I don't assume that anyone that has forced their way into my home is deaf, drunk, or an innocent teenager that's just trying to turn their life around. That's not a chance that I'm willing to take with my life or the lives of my loved ones. More power to you if you do, but your sympathies are not for all to endeavor to.

OP, you did well given the circumstances, and good on you for having your gun close at hand when it was needed.
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

Quote Originally Posted by Moga View Post
    I disagree with so many of the platitudes that are contained here that I don't know where to begin. .
    You may not like anything in my post, but except for the last para....it's all pretty much the dead-on truth about what a gun own should consider. Esp. that 'platitude' about identifying an intruder.

but this forum is for discussion, so thank you.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moga View Post
    I disagree with so many of the platitudes that are contained here that I don't know where to begin. It's not worth my time to address each of the above statements but let it suffice to say that there is not much that you've advanced that is applicable to my state of residence. I'll also say that as a person that has been on the business end of a strangers gun more times than any living man should, I don't have a lot of sympathy for a person that wishes me or any other decent folk harm just to satisfy their shallow and empty desires. And I don't assume that anyone that has forced their way into my home is deaf, drunk, or an innocent teenager that's just trying to turn their life around. That's not a chance that I'm willing to take with my life or the lives of my loved ones. More power to you if you do, but your sympathies are not for all to endeavor to.

OP, you did well given the circumstances, and good on you for having your gun close at hand when it was needed.
    Very nicely put.

Mindset is everything, is it a good guy or bad guy coming in? I will id whoever it might be but I'm starting out believing it's a bad guy. Not vice versa.

KaH
    Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare
    For you and several other posters....you can say it all you want. But if you shoot an unarmed person in your house 'that did not pose a lethal threat', you will have a tough time getting a jury to agree...even in TX or similar states. They "might". It will be hard to determine their 'intent.' The burden is all on you, the person with the gun. And either way....you are paying tens of thousands for a lawyer.

And the worst that 'happened' is an innocent dead person, not you on trial. That you now have on your conscience.

So a better idea is taking that extra fraction of a second to "identify whether they are an actual threat or not."

(Which btw, most people here, including you arent disputing...again...it's the 'blow 'em away' rhetoric that makes this mindset sound more common than it is. I point it out because as a gun owner, that isnt the public face I'd like to show when supporting the 2n Amendment)
    I agree with Moga when I say I disagree with what you said here. Texas had Castle Law which means ANYONE who enters your home unlawfully is "legal" to shoot. The law says anyone unlawfully entering your home...which means to say that anyone entering by force, OR uninvited (trespassing), OR in the OP's case, someone entering for maintenance who has not given prior notice and does not announce themselves upon entry (which should be defined in the lease agreement or maintenance information).

To the OP's knowledge when he drew, the maintenance man was uninvited and not supposed to be there. Doesn't matter if he had a key - as someone has posted before me, it could have been a "bump" key, or he could have stolen it, or he could have been using his authority as a maintenance man for unscrupulous purposes.

I agree (and see that the OP does as well upon clarification) that IDing the threat is important...but as a small woman I'm not taking too many chances when an unknown person, especially male, who could overpower me is in my home uninvited and unannounced.
    As the OP said, he wouldn't shoot unless the target was identified and he felt sufficiently threatened - if you keep your home secure while you're home and someone who is not supposed to be in your home appears, I feel that's a sufficient threat to draw and prepare to shoot.

Everyone is welcome to their own opinion and I hope mine hasn't come across badly, because I do understand where you're coming from - I just don't agree.

Quote Originally Posted by C9H13NO3 View Post
    I'm sitting on the couch watching TV, and my door opens. I always keep it locked..... he says "Maintenance". I call the apartment complex .....
    When we lived in a an apartment I told the people in the office I have a dog and no one is to come in unless one of us is home, plus I work odd hours and don't want people coming unless I know about it. I then changed the locks as soon as we moved in, I never gave them a key for the new lock. Sure enough, I home and I hear someone messing with the door. I get up check the peep hole and see it's their pest control guy trying to get in. I sent him away and again told the office NO ONE is to come in without notice, never explaining that they didn't have a key anyway.

I know they are supposed to have a key but they proved they weren't capable of following my instructions. Add to that I'm sure they don't change locks after tenants move out and I am not taking any chances that they didn't make extra keys.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links