First Traffic Stop While Carrying a Non-Event

This is a discussion on First Traffic Stop While Carrying a Non-Event within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Most LEOS are professionals, and if you're polite and informative, they will be, too. And most guns aren't loaded but for safety's sake we treat ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First Traffic Stop While Carrying a Non-Event

Most LEOS are professionals, and if you're polite and informative, they will be, too.
    And most guns aren't loaded but for safety's sake we treat them all like they are

Originally Posted by JonInNY
    Let me ask this question: What if it turned out to be more than an innocent traffic stop. What if, for whatever reason, the LEO suspected something strange was going on. Even if the LEO was totally wrong, at what point would you admit the CCW?
    As soon as I'm asked to step out of the car. Also since at that point I pretty much know things are going south I invoke Miranda and ask for a lawyer

Originally Posted by tokerblue
    The LEO isn't my buddy and a CCW won't change that
    Originally posted by JonInNY Well that may or may not be true.
    No, it's not true ever. The American Justice System is adversarial by it's very nature. Cops do not ever initate contact W/ civilians to be buddy buddy.

If a cop is talking to you it is because he suspects you of commiting some crime and is seeking evidence to verify his suspicion.

Officer, I do not wish to answer any questions or make any statement at this time. Am I free to leave?

2. Remove Ads

MJK
    As you probably saw in my earlier thread I believe that informing on the front end is the right thing to do...at least for me it is. Others have different opinions and that's OK.

My thinking goes like this. Should the officer have a need - mistaken identity, unwarranted suspicion, or whatever - for me to exit the car and then performs a search my weapon will be discovered. The risk of a bad day will then escalate.

Others have different opinions and that's OK.
    Get yourself faceplanted then let us know how that informing thing worked out for you

In Washington your not required to disclose. A LEO friend of mine told me not to tell or say anything unless they tell you to get out or your weapon is in the glove box with your insurance papers or something similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Keltyke View Post
    I'd always let the LEO know up front. If he's "surprised" by your weapon, you might be eating some gravel and wearing chrome bracelets while he gets things straightened out. Most LEOS are professionals, and if you're polite and informative, they will be, too.
    "If everyone was allowed to carry guns, them hijackers wouldn't have no superiority. All you gotta do is arm all the passengers, then no hijacker would risk pullin' a rod."

- Archie Bunker

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    Get yourself faceplanted then let us know how that informing thing worked out for you
    You are constantly posting this. I am curious ...

How many times has it personally happened to you?

How many people you personally know have had it happen to them?

How many people have you personally seen it happen to?
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    If a cop is talking to you it is because he suspects you of commiting some crime and is seeking evidence to verify his suspicion.
    Sooooooo...everyone I talk to, all day long, I suspect of a crime and I'm seeking to verify that? Wow, when I think back to all of the victim and witness interviews I apparently handled completely wrong!
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatGonzo View Post
    Sooooooo...everyone I talk to, all day long, I suspect of a crime and I'm seeking to verify that? Wow, when I think back to all of the victim and witness interviews I apparently handled completely wrong!
    Gonzo
    - Does a CCW influence your decision at all on how you handle a traffic stop? Assuming that your state doesn't require informing.

How many times has it personally happened to you?
    Never but I was damn near drawn on once

How many people you personally know have had it happen to them?
    A few and it gets posted frequently on THR

How many people have you personally seen it happen to?
    Never, the only other CCW that i hang out W/ is my wife and she doesn't inform either

Sooooooo...everyone I talk to, all day long, I suspect of a crime and I'm seeking to verify that?
    W/in reason dude

Never but I was damn near drawn on once

A few and it gets posted frequently on THR

Never, the only other CCW that i hang out W/ is my wife and she doesn't inform either
    In other words, you have no first-hand knowledge that this has ever happened. As far as I am concerned, this speaks volumes.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

GM
    Although not required I always inform.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

In other words, you have no first-hand knowledge that this has ever happened. As far as I am concerned, this speaks volumes.
    Aaaaaand I'm concerned by this , how?

Has it ever occurred to you that the reason I've never had this happen to me is because I don't inform?

I see people post here all the time about what might happen if the cop accidently sees your piece. You sycophants preach it like Gospel but I have yet to see a thread about it actually happening.

As far as I am concerned, this speaks volumes.

W/in reason dude
    I knew what you meant. I just had to bust your chops a little bit.
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    - Does a CCW influence your decision at all on how you handle a traffic stop? Assuming that your state doesn't require informing.
    I don't do traffic stops anymore. Back when I did, the state where I was a Patrol Officer did not have any CCW permit system. So I never actually made a traffic stop on a private citizen with a CCW permit. However, in my current position, if I have official contact with someone that is not related to their possession of a firearm, it does not change how I deal with them. In every situation I encounter, there is always at least one gun present...mine. So while I strive to always be polite, professional, and courteous, I am always cautious. I have never "disarmed" someone unless I was arresting them. Too much chance for things to go wrong once you start taking guns out of holsters. Just my humble opinion...
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Originally posted by TGGToo much chance for things to go wrong once you start taking guns out of holsters. Just my humble opinion...
    Gonzo
    I've heard it said (on other forums) that most police officers aren't "gun people" they just see their gun as another item on their belt that they're required to carry for work.

So I would think that most officers wouldn't have that point of view because they don't think of things like the 4 rules and that's probably why they disarm you

I had a point to this post when I started but I lost it somewhere I was getting at "Your attitude is probably the exception not the rule"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links