A South Carolina glitch - heads up

This is a discussion on A South Carolina glitch - heads up within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just wanted to make my fellow SC residents aware of a possible problem that may happen to you if you put in a change of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A South Carolina glitch - heads up

Just wanted to make my fellow SC residents aware of a possible problem that may happen to you if you put in a change of address. It happened to me and oddly I just did not notice it until today!

Last Summer I finally changed my residence from one county over where I had my primary residence, and where I had first gotten my CWP from as I finally sold that property and took up primary in this next county over that I was renovating a house at. So once I sold the property and moved out I changed my Drivers license.

The next day after having my new address reflected on my DL (the expiration date on the DL did not change just the Address) I made a copy of it and sent in the change of address notification along with the copy of DL reflecting new address. A few weeks later I received my new CWP in the mail.

HOWEVER... today I notice they had changed the expiration date on my CWP to be the same as the DL. Shorting me 13 months of active CWP. And now coming due on my Birthday this coming July instead of August of next year!

So... be careful. They appear to make mistakes. I will just renew this July as I will my DL but, had I caught it earlier I think I would have given them a call about it.

But my DL and my CWP expire exactly on the same day now. Thank you SLED!

Unhappy

Thats mess up!!!!!! But your DL & CWP will expire on the same day but not year? DL is every 10yrs now! They should renew your CWP for free!!!!

are you sure the city/town/state didn't change the regulation for renewal to coincide with your DL/birth date to make things easier?

I'm just ask'n
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Thanks for the info... I'll watch for that here..
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

To all. Nope... the DL and CWP expire on the same exact day and year. Which is now this July 15th, my Birthday. My DL was indeed supposed to be renewed this year.

My CWP should have (my old one with old address does) expire next year in August.

We noticed it today when I was purchasing a gun. First time I had noticed that.

SC doesn't have local ordinances. All is done through the State Law Enforcement Division. One law one state.

Last time I renewed my DL I did it online so it is only 4 years (the law only allows a renewal of DL of 4 years if you do it online because no eye test is given). But that was some three years back. All I did last year was change the address. Which you can also do online but does not change the renewal date from what it already is.

But now they both match. Which is pretty impossible really to have happen as you would have to, coincidentally, apply for your CWP and mail it about say 90 days before your next DL renewal! And they happen to process it on your birthday too. Pretty unlikely

Probably a typo mistake and the CWP still expires in August (after 4 years)

You'll find out when you renew next time...

SLED- You will not be able to apply On-Line if you are:
    Applying for renewal prior to 90 days of your expiration date

Well... if I am stopped... it clearly says my CWP expires this July... so I will have to at least communicate about it.

I do have my old one that shows the old date somewhere but wrong address. So I do think I have something here that proves when it should expire.

I think whomever made them up mistakenly took the Expiration date of the DL and put it onto my CWP. It appears these are done by the DMV as they seem to be using the states DMV machines as they are identical to the DL in format, shape and material.

Its no big deal but I wish I had caught it earlier. I simply checked to make sure they had the Address right and so forth. Never bothered to look at the Expiration date. So I figured I best let you guys and gals know to look.

Quote Originally Posted by cphilip View Post
    Just wanted to make my fellow SC residents aware of a possible problem that may happen to you if you put in a change of address. It happened to me and oddly I just did not notice it until today!

Last Summer I finally changed my residence from one county over where I had my primary residence, and where I had first gotten my CWP from as I finally sold that property and took up primary in this next county over that I was renovating a house at. So once I sold the property and moved out I changed my Drivers license.

The next day after having my new address reflected on my DL (the expiration date on the DL did not change just the Address) I made a copy of it and sent in the change of address notification along with the copy of DL reflecting new address. A few weeks later I received my new CWP in the mail.

HOWEVER... today I notice they had changed the expiration date on my CWP to be the same as the DL. Shorting me 13 months of active CWP. And now coming due on my Birthday this coming July instead of August of next year!

So... be careful. They appear to make mistakes. I will just renew this July as I will my DL but, had I caught it earlier I think I would have given them a call about it.

But my DL and my CWP expire exactly on the same day now. Thank you SLED!
    Why not just call them and get this ironed out over the phone. They will man up.
    Certified Glock Armorer

Thanks for the information.
    bigJ

"Master the Basics."
    www.handgunhourly.com

Quote Originally Posted by H8SPVMT View Post
    Why not just call them and get this ironed out over the phone. They will man up.
    I may do so. I am going to have to take some of the blame for not noticing it earlier though. And I also need to see if I can find my old one... although they should easily be able to pull my file and see the problem. But I didn't discover it until yesterday and it was a state holiday. I might give em a buzz today.

Plus... whats really interesting is that the CWP also shows its issue date. And mine says 8-30-2007

Your DL (in SC) also has your issue date listed as well. Which is 07-29-2005 on mine. Our Licenses are always due on our birthday that year so mine is the 15th and you have like 90 days to renew after the fact.

The back of the CWP card even says the card was issued by SC DMV. However the CWP one gives a different address for the DMV office that issued it. So the DMV is the one processing the cards for SLED.

The picture and signature that is on my DL is the exact same one as is on my CWP. In spite of having to submit pictures they use the DMV one. So it is likely they use other data from the DL and simply pulled up the DL expiration date and failed to change it before printing it out.

Hmmm.... well the web site has no specific person to call so I started with Jennifer Timmons who is media and public information for SLED. But she is out of office so I had to leave a message. She will likely get me the correct person to talk to and we will go from there.

Added on edit:

Just heard back from Jennifer (who was pleasant and efficient and I suspect hot...) and she got me in touch with Angelica (who may also be hot) who then looked it up and agreed it was in error but she now has a totally different due date from the one I show and remember! She shows it due January 1 2011. I show it due August 10th 2011. She seemed to be saying that when you change your address they change your due date to the first of the year 4. Now... I didn't get into it with her over that I just simply told her what it said on mine and left it at that until I see what comes back from them. She instructed me to fax her a copy of the card and make it to her attention with a note as to what it was about. So I just did that. I await a new card I guess and will see what due date it shows. I do know this... I did not take my training in January. I took it in the early Summer and then waited on the Permit so August seems about right. But they may indeed change those due dates, as she seemed to be saying. I will let you all know.

In the mean time here is the correct number to call for things like this: 803 896 7048 and whomever answers the phone at that number can help you with permit issues like this.

From what I remember Michigan does something weird with the expiration dates too. The CPL is supposed to be for 5 years but when you get your first one it expires on your birthday of the fourth year after you get it so you might only get 4 years the first time.

This is so no one gets 5+ years the first time. After that it expires every five years on your birthday.

Sure glad you posted this. I have to change my address April 2nd. Thanks for the addvice and number.

I did come home and find my old CWP card. And she is right in that it did say it was issued 1 - 11- 07 and it also did say it was due to expire 1 - 10 - 2011. But they then changed the issue date when I sent in the change of address. I don't understand why that would change as the DL does not change that when you change address. That added to the confusion of the whole thing. And why she made the statement to me about the changing to the first of the year is now a complete mystery to me. I am inclined to believe she was just thinking out loud and trying to understand it herself at the time.

I will let you know how things turn out. I may not be able to tell you WHY they turn out the way they do. But, for now, I wait until they send me a new one (I assume this is what she will do) or they contact me. But I will try and revive this when I have something to add.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spec View Post
    Thanks for the info... I'll watch for that here..
    Don't have to worry about that in Mi. as you do not have to change anything on your cpl if you move, as you would a drivers license

"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading."
    ~ Henny Youngman
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links