Wondering who is clergy on DC

This is a discussion on Wondering who is clergy on DC within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi all! I see more than a few of us on here who are clergy in one form or another who are also pro-firearms, pro-carry, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wondering who is clergy on DC

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar

Hi all!

I see more than a few of us on here who are clergy in one form or another who are also pro-firearms, pro-carry, and even those who CC in church or whatnot. I would like this thread to be an introduction of those of us who are in that sub-group on the forum who are vocational clergy (full- or part-time).

Me:

MinistrMalic-got the nickname Minister Malice when I was bi-vocational from some of my employees in my "regular" job who thought it was hilarious that I am a pastor and a self-defense nut.

I am the senior pastor of a SBC-affiliated church in the suburbs of Phoenix, AZ. We run in the neighborhood of 150-180 in typical attendance, run more like a Bible church than a typical Baptist church. We have elders (5 including me) who all know I carry and are perfectly happy with it.

I am a self-defense enthusiast who studies martial arts as well as armed combat (currently a green belt in American Kenpo, working hard to get my brown requirements done).

I love my Lord, His people, and consider it part of my responsibility to graze, guide, and GUARD the sheep He has put in my fold. (three Gs...yeah, we're still at least kinda Baptist!)

How about you?
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

me
    I am a full time Youth Minister in VA. We are a Christian Church/Church of Christ in Central VA running about 150 a week.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

I'm ordained by the Universal Life Church

I am the senior pastor of an SBC church that runs around 230 in Missouri. I have studied martial arts, and I have always liked the idea of being able to defend myself and those I love. I have possessed a concealed carry permit for about a year now.

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar

Talking

Ordained 1980 (Evangelical Church) (still ordained there)

Active Duty Army Chaplain 1980-2004 (plus 6 years prior service).

Retired in 2004 from active duty--they said I had to go--time to let the younger guys have a turn. Called and moved to very rural south-central Montana. Now part-time Pastoral Counselor (Licensed Marriage and FAmily Therapist since 1993) and part-time Hospital Chaplain.

(and small-time horse trainer and rancher--just yesterday put 500+ pounds of steaks, roasts and burger into the freezer)

Still Ordained and active full-time ministry (well, I guess two part-times = full time )

I was raised out in very rural Oregon logging country and learned to shoot at a very early age. Used a variety of weapons in my varied Army Career. I think my favorites were the venerable 1911 .45 (my EDC), the M-14 and the 105mm tank cannon (although the last one is a bit difficult to CC )

I love the Lord, love my family, and love those whom the Lord has placed in my care. Walk softly and carry a loaded .45

Here is a picture from our place:
    Attached Images
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

The Salvation Army.

43 years active ministry; retired 2.5 years. Same for my wife. The last 14 years were in administrative positions, primarily disaster relief operations.

I've been a shooter all these years, but not always carrying. I did have a friend back in the late 70s who told people I keep a .45 in the pulpit. As soon as someone gets saved, I send them straight to Heaven before they have a chance to backslide (Baptists don't have that problem. )
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

I'm ordained by the Universal Life Church. I am a wedding DJ and have been to wedding were minster did't show up or was late and had to do the wedding. I'm Baptist.

I am in my last year of seminary at Baptist Bible Seminary Clarks Summit Pa. My pastor Carries and so do 3 of the deacons in our church as well as around 10 other people in the church. Some times you lead the sheep by protecting them from the wolves.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.
    Bring Enough GUN!!

I pastor a small SBC congregation in southeastern Oklahoma. I used to carry in the late 90's in Texas before I got into full-time ministry, and determined late last year that it was necessary to be prepared to protect myself, my family, and if necessary, the people of my congregation. I carry everywhere it's legal to do so, which includes the pulpit on Sundays.
    He said to them, "But now let the one who has a moneybag take it, and likewise a knapsack. And let the one who has no sword sell his cloak and buy one."

- Luke 22:36 (ESV)

I'm ordained by the Universal Life Church as well.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

MinistrMalic

You need to post quickly to get away from that number.
    America: Your government is not ignoring you, it's insulting you.

The Bill of Rights: Void where prohibited by law.

UMC, FL. Sr Pastor with av'g attendance of 300+.
    Ordained for 33+ years.
    Carrying for 2 1/2 years, ever since VT got me off the dime.

Raised with guns, 'tho not much in the way of handguns until the last few years.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    I travel full-time as a Christian Country recording artist going to all denominations. Ordained with a non-denominational ministry and have been in ministry for over 21 years. Actually I'm in the middle of a tour as I post this and yes I'm cc-ing.

Good to see these post.
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

I'm an ordained Baptist preacher and a missionary attending a Baptist church in the Dallas Metroplex area. My pastor doesn't carry, but I can name several, including retired missionaries, pastors, deacons, youth pastors, etc.., in my church who carry regularly. Safest church in town

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    I'm a Missionary Baptist pastor in North Central Arkansas. Been there going on 25 years now. That's half my life. Country church with country people. Not surprising to see someone showing off a firearm purchase on any given Sunday.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links