Well..a fear of mine came true..

This is a discussion on Well..a fear of mine came true.. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ..kind of. (I didn't know where to put this, so mods move if there is a better place) I have a platform bed, and I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Well..a fear of mine came true..

..kind of.

(I didn't know where to put this, so mods move if there is a better place)

I have a platform bed, and I keep my flashlight up on top of the part of the platform that extend out of the side of the bed. When I first got the bed, I was going to also put my holstered gun on the platform as well, but I decided against it since my hand could reach that area while sleeping. So I decided to just keep it under the bed like I had been with my old bed so I don't accidently shoot it while I'm asleep or something.

Well last night, I woke up and felt something hard on my stomach. I reach down and it was my flashnight. So sometime in the night, while sleeping, I must have grabbed my flashlight. I woke up and got kind of scared because I was thinking what if I did have my gun there, I could have grabbed that instead!

So needless to say, my instincts of leaving it under my bed paid off, even though it's the first time in two years something like this happened.

I also pushed my gun a little bit more under the bed...just in case.

If I woke up in the middle of the night with things in my hand, I would seriously consider using a safe like a GunVault.

Yes, get a GunVault. You can set it right on your nightstand (i.e. closer to you, where you might actually be able to get to it quicker), and sleep in peace.

While I carry my 9mm with one in the chamber, I dont keep it that way on my nightstand. I should have enough time, with dogs, security, etc to hear an intruder, grab it, and rack it. Plus I think it will help wake me up more.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Now that would be a heck of an alarm clock
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

my better half once actually reached up onto the shelf in the headboard in her sleep and woke up with her taurus 85 on her stomach. needless to say she doesn't keep it there anymore.

I was going to get a gun vault once we have kiddies running around.

But just to say it reiterate, the gun is NOT in reach of me while I am sleeping. It's hard to reach under your bed with a platform bed. You pretty much have to slide off the bed to grab it. Plus, now I moved even a little bit further in.

I used to keep my .40 Cougar on my night stand, when I was first getting into guns in general. One night about 2 years ago, I was fooling about on the floor on my side of the bed when my wife woke up and said, "what are you doing?". THAT was when I woke up. I was unloading my gun. I'd taken the mag out and was trying to take the round out of the chamber when she woke me up. Yes the safety was on, but that's only a flick of the thumb away from danger.

Now it's in the drawer. Haven't had a problem since.
    Criminals thrive on the indulgence of society's understanding.

haven't had this problem yet just changed to having it on the headboard used to keep it tucked inside the actual bed between the water bed bladder and the frame thingie. I have however fallen asleep with the gun in all sorts of places on/in the bed b/c i'd forget it was there or tired and not get it after tossing it on my pillow or bed before my shower..always right where i left it unfired and safe..quite odd too b/c i used to not be such a unmoving sleeper

+1 on the gunvault! holey smokes that is scary!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

My firearm sits on the night stand just a reach away. Laying on my pillow, the night sights are 'right there'. It also rests in its holster.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The only thing I do in my sleep is drool, but I still keep the nightstand gun in Condition Three. I figure I need to be at least awake enough to rack the slide before I'm in any condition to be handling a gun.

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    I keep mine under the bed (bed sits up high also, not quite a platform bed, dang close, I would have to slide off to reach it also), time to wake up, but quick enough to get it and be ready. Good move.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    While I carry my 9mm with one in the chamber, I dont keep it that way on my nightstand. I should have enough time, with dogs, security, etc to hear an intruder, grab it, and rack it. Plus I think it will help wake me up more.
    +1, If your firearm has a decocking lever or something like too, it might help. Then you wont have to rack the slide all the way. I dont, but still sleep with it in condition 3

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    I keep my .45 on my nightstand just as I carry it. I do keep it in it's holster though. I remove the holster/gun as an assembly and place it on the night table.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links