Concealed Carry Class....Fail

This is a discussion on Concealed Carry Class....Fail within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Do you know of anyone that has failed the CCW class and why? The only one that I know of is a guy that was ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Concealed Carry Class....Fail

Concealed Carry Class....Fail

Do you know of anyone that has failed the CCW class and why?

The only one that I know of is a guy that was told to "not" take a headshot and took one and was immediately failed by the instructor.

[Inserted by moderator]

See post 104 before replying
    Last edited by JD; January 25th, 2010 at 07:42 PM.

2. Remove Ads

I've never seen one fail. In my class I saw a couple that should have, but I guess somewhere with a few feet of the target is good enough right?

I'm not sure I understand the logic of the "fail". Seems to me, if you are taking a CCW class, you are learning how to protect yourself with a firearm. If the BG is down and no longer a threat, isn't that the goal of self-protection? One would think that a head shot is not a bad placement for stopping the BG immediately.

Unless, of course, if the student was aiming for the chest and hit the head. Then there might be probable cause for a "fail."
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

He was told not to take a headshot. The instructor failed him for not listening to his instructions.

I knew one guy in CA who was told by his instructor for the Utah CC class to take an NRA pistol safety class and then come back to take the CC class again.
    he kept muzzling people and the instructor with his gun, and putting his finger on the trigger as soon as his hand touched the gun. He never got to the point in the class of practicing with a loaded gun.
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . . Such laws... serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man - Cesare Beccaria

I don't know if they actually failed, but after I could not mathematically fail my qualification my instructor came and took some ammo from me and a Marine on the lane next to me so one of our class mates could practice more before reshooting the course of fire.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Seems to me if you place your cash on the table for the class, you pass. A guy next to me missed the target numerous times. Another was visibly intimidated by a handgun. Both left with a certificate. I suppose it's just a handgun safety class which allows one to receive a conceal carry permit.
    May we never forget those in uniform who protect us night and day in lands far away. And those in all wars who paid the supreme sacrifice in defense of our country. May God Bless our Troops and First Responders.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete14 View Post
    Do you know of anyone that has failed the CCW class and why?

The only one that I know of is a guy that was told to "not" take a headshot and took one and was immediately failed by the instructor.

not obeying the range instructor ....... in my book is immdiately dimissal and failure......
    XD9sc
    Ruger LCP 380
    NAA 22 mini mag w/holster grip
    S&W 38 model 10
    NRA member

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Yes. One fellow just refused or was too stupid to understand the commands of the instructor when it came to gun safety and following his commands. The other fellow initially failed because he was using his newly purchased 38, which is not exactly an easy gun to use without a good deal of proper training; he failed to hit the target within the acceptable range. He then "rented" a 22 and passed the course (this was conducted at a gunshop in SC so rental was an option and in SC you do not have to pass with the gun you own or the gun you intend to have as your CCW). Quite frankly, the second part of my previous statement leaves me a little bit scratching my chin---if you cannot hit the side of a barn with the gun you now have a permit to carry--why are they giving you a permit to carry it?

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    as sad as it may sound accuracy with a handgun isnt a qualification for ownership or concealed carry...knowing the rules is...that is the purpose of the class...if nothing else the shooting qualification might open peoples eyes to the fact that they need practice and possibly more training before they decide to carry...

the constitution doesnt say the right to keep and bear arms only if you can use them effectively against paper targets....

you really wouldnt have to spend a great deal of time here to see that there are plenty of carry permits and licenses issued to people who may nbe able to hit a target but may not exaclty have the proper mindset regarding what their responsibilities are...i'm not sure whats worse....

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Yes. One fellow just refused or was too stupid to understand the commands of the instructor when it came to gun safety and following his commands. The other fellow initially failed because he was using his newly purchased 38, which is not exactly an easy gun to use without a good deal of proper training; he failed to hit the target within the acceptable range. He then "rented" a 22 and passed the course (this was conducted at a gunshop in SC so rental was an option and in SC you do not have to pass with the gun you own or the gun you intend to have as your CCW). Quite frankly, the second part of my previous statement leaves me a little bit scratching my chin---if you cannot hit the side of a barn with the gun you now have a permit to carry--why are they giving you a permit to carry it?
    The last sentence of your post speaks volumes. This is a big concern of mine also.

Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post
    as sad as it may sound accuracy with a handgun isnt a qualification for ownership or concealed carry...knowing the rules is...that is the purpose of the class...if nothing else the shooting qualification might open peoples eyes to the fact that they need practice and possibly more training before they decide to carry...
    Actually, in many states, including where I live, South Carolina, accuracy is a qualification to carry concealed. In SC you need to fire 50 shots at a target at varying distances, within a certain time frame, from both a holster draw and out of the holster and get a certain number of hits within the target to pass. You also need to take a written test at the end of the class and get a certain scorce to pass that.

That's a real dichotomy. If the strict standards of the Second Amendment are upheld, a person should not have to take a class or have a permit to carry a weapon - concealed or otherwise. But there are those who should not breed or reproduce in any way, much-less own or operate a gun. The foregoing is in defense of the survival of humankind.

That being said, to answer your question, I don't know of anyone who has failed, but do know of several who fall into my first paragraph. When I took my class, there was only one person besides me (out of a total of 5) who had ever shot a handgun. It was quite interesting to watch the dynamics of the entire group. The instructor was pretty cavalier about the whole thing, which told me that in a lot of cases, the course is pretty much cookie cutter and a mere formality.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Alot of classes around me won't let you use your own gun. They make you use a Ruger Mark III or 22/45. .22s should not be allowed for qualification.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

Quote Originally Posted by dsee11789 View Post
    Alot of classes around me won't let you use your own gun. They make you use a Ruger Mark III or 22/45. .22s should not be allowed for qualification.
    .22s are NOT allowed in Texas (for the test).....
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Links