Submitted Maine Non-Resident CCWP Application

This is a discussion on Submitted Maine Non-Resident CCWP Application within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Jetpilot007 Well, I finally submitted my paperwork to obtain my Maine Non-Resident CCWP! I had the paperwork all completed for several weeks ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Submitted Maine Non-Resident CCWP Application

Quote Originally Posted by Jetpilot007 View Post
    Well, I finally submitted my paperwork to obtain my Maine Non-Resident CCWP!

I had the paperwork all completed for several weeks but just never got around to the Post Office.

I have plans to spend quality vacation time there.

Anyone have any idea what the processing time is?
    Say, what did you cough up to satisfy the 'firearms safety' proficiency requirement? I had quite the runaround getting them to accept anything besides an NRA class certificate.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Jetpilot007 View Post
    HEY CORRUPT POLITICIANS OF NYS, YOU ARE DRIVING YOUR CITIZENS OUT OF THE STATE.

Yup, I'm one of them. Lived there long enough to hate it so I moved a state over and regained my freedom.
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

Quote Originally Posted by rhenriksen View Post
    Say, what did you cough up to satisfy the 'firearms safety' proficiency requirement? I had quite the runaround getting them to accept anything besides an NRA class certificate.
    What did you have to prove your safety training? They'll accept the basic NRA class certificate, a DD214, a CC license from another state, etc.

And, out of curiosity, where are all you guys vacationing up this way? I live way up the coast about an hour past Ellsworth/Bar Harbor, we don't get as many summer people up here as other parts of the state.
    Never forget. Never forgive.

Quote Originally Posted by WC145 View Post
    What did you have to prove your safety training? They'll accept the basic NRA class certificate, a DD214, a CC license from another state, etc.
    Wait a minute they will take a ccp from another state instead of NRA training cert? I have a NH and a PA neither of which require training or certification. Will Maine except those as proof or do I need an NRA certificate along with my permits? On the Maine application the requirements say copies of all CC permits and proof of knowledge of handgun safety.
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

Although I have several Non-Resident CCWPs in addition to my resident NYS CCWP, Maine still requires proof of training. In my case I presented an NRA Basic Pistol Course Certificate. In actuality the paperwork was quite easy.

I was under the impression that they considered a CC permit from another state as proof of safety training, a call to the licensing office might be worthwhile. Here is the text from the info booklet:

(5) Demonstrates to the issuing authority a knowledge of handgun safety.
    The applicant may fully satisfy this requirement by submitting to the issuing
    authority, through documentation in accordance with this subparagraph, proof
    that the applicant has within 5 years prior to the date of application completed a
    course that included handgun safety offered by or under the supervision of a
    federal, state, county or municipal law enforcement agency or a firearms
    instructor certified by a private firearms association recognized as
    knowledgeable in matters of firearms safety by the issuing authority or by the
    state in which the course was taken. A course completion certificate or other
    document, or a photocopy, is sufficient if it recites or otherwise demonstrates that
    the course meets all of the requirements of this subparagraph.
    As an alternative way of fully satisfying this requirement, an applicant may
    personally demonstrate knowledge of handgun safety to an issuing authority, if
    the issuing authority is willing to evaluate an applicant's personal demonstration
    of such knowledge. The issuing authority is not required to offer this 2nd option.
    The demonstration of knowledge of handgun safety to the issuing authority
    may not be required of any applicant who holds a valid State permit to carry a
    concealed firearm as of April 15, 1990 or of any applicant who was or is in any
    of the Armed Forces of the United States and has received at least basic firearms
    training.
    Never forget. Never forgive.

The demonstration of knowledge of handgun safety to the issuing authority
    may not be required of any applicant who holds a valid State permit to carry a
    concealed firearm as of April 15, 1990

hmmm good info WC145...so would two non-resident permits (NH and PA) and living in a state where no permit is required satisfy the "knowledge of handgun safety" requirement instead of an NRA certificate? Anyone feel like calling Maine and finding out

Quote Originally Posted by wc145 View Post
    y'all should just move up here to maine, there's something to be said for living in a place where other people want to vacation!
    shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!
    Proofread before you post!!! A reminder to me.

I just put a call in to Maine's licensing division and asked them to mail me the application package.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say I love Maine. Phone rang twice and I got a human being on the phone, who took my address, and said she'd drop it in the mail for me today. Where do you get that kind of service? Just awesome if you ask me.
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

That's a beautiful thing, but why wait just print it off from here.
    State Police: Licenses & Permits: Weapons Permits & Professional Licensing

Either way, I submitted my proof of training just to cover my bases. I figure .10 copy is good insurance!

Yea I hear ya I was just wondering if it was necessary if you have other permits.

Quote Originally Posted by Adkjoe View Post
    That's a beautiful thing, but why wait just print it off from here.
    State Police: Licenses & Permits: Weapons Permits & Professional Licensing
    I'm not really in any hurry, and I'm interested to see what all they include in the packet.
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

Let me know when you get it I'm curious to, I printed it but would like to know what they send out, thanks!

Did everything through the mail and took about 3 months. That was around a year or so back.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links