Lawyer up or not???

This is a discussion on Lawyer up or not??? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is good medicine. When in doubt, lawyer up. When my time finally comes, I'm going to give the police my name, that I acted ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lawyer up or not???

This is good medicine. When in doubt, lawyer up.

When my time finally comes, I'm going to give the police my name, that I acted in self-defense because I was in fear for my life, and that I respect their investigation, but I CANNOT MAKE A STATEMENT UNTIL MY ATTORNEY IS PRESENT.

Nothing personal against the police, I am a cop, but even the police themselves know to lawyer up if they have to shoot in the line of duty.

Be safe.

2. Remove Ads

Fortunately, I live in Ohio which has both castle doctrine and bars suits arising from justifiable shootings.

That having been said, I still have a lawyer, and NOT just for civil matters. I don't have the slightest intention of speaking more than minimally to the police after a self-defense situation. If you tell the cops, "I have nothing further to say without my attorney present." it's a good idea to at least actually HAVE one in mind.

I believe the phrase is "anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law." I've never heard them say it will be used for you, or you can take it back if you didn't mean it, or if you misspoke, or if we took it out of context.

I would make sure I have a Self-Defense Attorney, and not a real estate attorney, or a Wills and Estates attorney.

In fact, I have made sure of that. And I will likely never need him for anything. But, his phone numbers (home, office, cell) are in my phone and my wife's. Just in Case...
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

I have not done it yet, which I may one day regret.

PM
    Pre paid lawyer no; can't afford it!! Lawyer up in a SD situation you bet; the phrase of maranda as already been given! Anything you say; can and will be used against you!" The rest is if you want an attorney we are required to get you one! Translation; "SHUT UP and ASK FOR A LAWYER!!!!!" Now if you are in a civil suit you get to pay for the lawyer but the criminal side the state pays for including the LEO's hearing me say why I felt deathly force was needed!

I would like to thank everyone for posting their thoughts on this matter.

I have to be honest I still feel like Im in square one. I see where 64Zebra show us in Sept 2007 a law that was passed so that we can't be sued in a "good shooting". Unfortunately for me others continued to post saying something that contradicts 64zebra.

I need a honest lawyer to please respond and settle this for us. Basically does the law passed in sept 2007 truly protect us in a "good shooting"????

And finally if it does then the lawyer that sold his service to me is basically a crook in my opinion.

To me there really shouldnt be any grey areas here, if the law protects us then the bottom line would be why they hell would i need the lawyer!!
    "Once a Marine, Always a Marine"
    "Semper Fi"

H&K 45C

Lawyer up or not???

You have a right (so far) to remain silent and have an attorney present.

Take advantage of your right:
    1. Remain silent and 2. Have your attorney present.

When asked by the public, I tell them to always lawyer-up!

Don't let anyone tell you differently . . . Tell the investigating officer(s) that you have every intention to fully cooperate with their investigation but you want your lawyer present before being asked any questions and before answering any questions.

If you are going to "go armed" and if you use your firearm in any self defense situation, you will most likely be sued. Get used to the idea of being sued or get used to the idea of being a victim.

Personally, I choose to have the ability to defend myself, my family and innocent 3rd parties who cannot defend themselves.

If you choose to go armed there are a couple of things you need to do.
    1. As often as possible; attend the best firearms and defensive tactics training you can afford.
    2. Get to know your local law enforcement. Be a civilian volunteer, or a reserve or just participate in civilian ride-alongs. Get to know your local cops and ask questions.

Con1

I talked to a good friend who is an attorney, because I have been told that an attorney who will handle a SD case is almost non existent near where I live.

After we got past the "Do you have a problem?" (NO) question; he told me three things.

1) No, he would not handle one.
    2) He gave me the names of two attorneys in the area who were competent. And said to use his name as a reference. Standing in the middle of a SD situation does not seem to be the time or place to be thumbing through the yellow pages.
    3) Answer no questions!!!! Just say "I have been advised by my attorney not to answer any questions unless he/she is present." Then "shut up" and the nicer the officer becomes "shut up harder".

I believe that anyone can be sued for anything. Can the suite prevail is a different question. You will still need representation until everything is put to bed. And around here SD representation starts at about $5,000 and goes up.
    May you be in heaven 30 minutes, before the devil knows your dead!

NRA member

VIP Member
    Ironically, I just asked a LEO friend this question yesterday and as expected, he strongly urged me to ‘lawyer up’. I asked him whom in town is the most successful attorney, and of course he declined to answer. He simply told me that if you become involved in a shooting; say nothing more than ‘you were in fear of your life’ and you request an attorney.
    Last edited by Saber; January 23rd, 2010 at 05:49 PM.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    [...] I would suggest a list of NRA approved lawyers in your area that specialize in this type of practice.
    I called the NRA recently to ask for a referral. They gave me a phone number, and an additional "option number"). At that location, I was transferred to their ILA department (so, save some time and go there first).

They gave me one name and number for Boulder (where I live), and one in Denver. The number in Boulder has rung busy for several days, so I called NRA back, and was transferred to their "Legal Counsel" department. Got an answering machine there, described the problem, and requested a call-back. Haven't heard from them yet.

So, be aware that the NRA's list may not always be very current, or reliable.

Mike Fontenot

Senior Member Array Super Trucker's Avatar
    You can get an insurance policy through the NRA for about $150.00 per year that says if you shoot a scumbag and are not guilty of breaking laws, they will cover your attorney fees of something like 50K. (I am guessing at these numbers)

I read someplace that you can get a umbrella policy through your homeowners to cover this as well, but I have no person info to help with that idea.

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Here in FL, once you have been cleared in a shooting (no charges), the dirtbag and his family cannot bring a suit...

On March 23, 2005, The Florida Senate passed SB-436, the "Castle Doctrine" unanimously, by a vote of 39 YEAS to zero NAYS. They know something about this bill.

On April 5, The Florida House passed SB-436, "Castle Doctrine" by a vote of 94 YEAS to 20 NAYS, a margin of better than four to one.

On April 26, Governor Jeb Bush SIGNED SB-436, the "Castle Doctrine" into law (Chapter No. 2005-27) It takes effect on October 1, 2005.

The news media nationwide started in immediately with its “Gunshine State,” blood in the streets, Dirty Harry, vigilante, irrational mass murder nonsense, mythologies, lies and blatant unethical behavior.

A great deal of erroneous information has been written, published and spoken about Florida's new "Castle Doctrine" law.

Claims that the new law will turn Florida into the Wild West are not only an insult to intelligent people but give a patently false portrait of what the bill actually does.

The Florida "Castle Doctrine" law basically does three things:

One: It establishes, in law, the presumption that a criminal who forcibly enters or intrudes into your home or occupied vehicle is there to cause death or great bodily harm, therefore a person may use any manner of force, including deadly force, against that person.

Two: It removes the "duty to retreat" if you are attacked in any place you have a right to be. You no longer have to turn your back on a criminal and try to run when attacked. Instead, you may stand your ground and fight back, meeting force with force, including deadly force, if you reasonably believe it is necessary to prevent death or great bodily harm to yourself or others. [This is an American right repeatedly recognized in Supreme Court gun cases.]

Three: It provides that persons using force authorized by law shall not be prosecuted for using such force.

It also prohibits criminals and their families from suing victims for injuring or killing the criminals who have attacked them.

In short, it gives rights back to law-abiding people and forces judges and prosecutors who are prone to coddling criminals to instead focus on protecting victims.

Gotta' love the GunShine State...
    Sometimes (but only sometimes) I like FL
    By the way, I would like to see all those that complained about the "Castle Doctrine" living in Miami without having possibility to defend themselves and their family.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I think everyone should have a lawyer they trust. Who do you call if you are thrown in jail for a week?

Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    I think everyone should have a lawyer they trust. Who do you call if you are thrown in jail for a week?
    And if you have a good lawyer and take what he says to heart, you've got a good chance of avoiding that week in jail, and if you do spend that week, of making somebody VERY sorry that you did.

VIP Member
    ...and whatever you do, don't fall for the line 'if you don't answer this 'one simple' question, then I'll have to write down ‘you were uncooperative’ and that makes you look guilty.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links