Lawyer up or not???

This is a discussion on Lawyer up or not??? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Saber ...and whatever you do, don't fall for the line 'if you don't answer this one simple question, then I'll have to ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lawyer up or not???

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    ...and whatever you do, don't fall for the line 'if you don't answer this one simple question, then I'll have to write down ‘you were uncooperative’ and that makes you look guilty.
    He can write THAT down BEFORE he talks to me!

2. Remove Ads

This topic has been ongoing for a while on another forum. I have found "lawyering up" is easier said than done. There is no problem in retaining a criminal defence attorney, but finding one that is somewhat "pro-firearm", and versed in SD/HD situations is a different matter. Since that type of case is rare, not all criminal defense attorneys may know the best way to defend you.

Since some states have more liberal laws than others, everyones situation may be different in retaining the best attorney for their situation. It was suggested to attempt to find out which attorney(s) your local LE/Sheriff Dept. may use. (I did call a couple of attorney referral services and was told call after the fact, "attorneys don't deal in hypotheticals"). I hope to never need an attorney for any situation, but after the fact is not the time to do the "yellow page walk".

Be safe.
    Be responsible for your own actions.
    ---
    http://www.calguns.net/

[QUOTE=Bigpoppa48;1462007]I've had my CHP for about a year now, shortly after I received it I joined an organization called Concealed Handgun License Protection Plan(CHLPP) based out of Texas. They are suppose to provide a lawyer and pay for your legal expenses up through the Grand Jury Process.

The process up through a Grand Jury shouldn't cost very much to begin with. I'd look into having an Attorney on a retainer.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

You don't say anything to the police other than, I was in fear of my life and I will not answer any questions at this time until I have an attorney assigned to me and who will be with me for any questioning. Then close your mouth and shut up.
    Walther P99 AS full size 9mm
    Kahr P9 compact 9mm

NRA
    Michigan Sheriff's Association
    “The key is to hit them hard, hit them fast, and hit them repeatedly. The one shot stop is a unit of measurement not a tactical philosophy.” Evan Marshall

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    ...and whatever you do, don't fall for the line 'if you don't answer this 'one simple' question, then I'll have to write down ‘you were uncooperative’ and that makes you look guilty.
    Very good point!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Originally Posted by Saber
    ...and whatever you do, don't fall for the line 'if you don't answer this one simple question, then I'll have to write down ‘you were uncooperative’ and that makes you look guilty.
    (IMO) If they're pushing you that hard to make a statement you had better get a lawyer now

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by richardt22 View Post
    All,

Just looking for a little insight. Long story short I have my CC license and I also pay a small monthly fee for a pre-paid lawyer. The lawyer was selling his services at my concealed class. I was told that even though it is legal to protect yourself and property in the state of Texas you will more than likely be sued in civil court by the bad guys family. Hence the reason for having a pre-paid lawyer in your back pocket.

I basically would like to hear everyone's thoughts on this.
    In Texas, a defendant who uses deadly force that is justified under Chapter 9 of the Texas Penal Code is immune from civil liability for personal injury that results from the use of the defendants use of force or deadly force as appropriate.

I have a policy from CHL Protection Plan to cover legal costs in case of being arrested/detained for questioning. I would ALWAYS lawyer up to protect my civil liberties.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links