Amount of ammo to hold in CCW?

This is a discussion on Amount of ammo to hold in CCW? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello all, I found a thread/post in here before and couldn't find it in the search function. It is regarding the amount of ammo to ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Amount of ammo to hold in CCW?

Amount of ammo to hold in CCW?

Hello all,

I found a thread/post in here before and couldn't find it in the search function. It is regarding the amount of ammo to hold in a CCW. The post mentioned that even trained LEO miss roughly 80% of the time, and with a 10 round mag, they would only get the perp twice. So with a 20 round mag, they would increase their chance to hitting the perp 4 times.

I am not sure how accurate those numbers are, but if anyone knows any info related to that (or could find the post) it would be of much help!!

2. Remove Ads

I carry 13+1 in the gun and a spare mag on top of that. Usually another 13 rounder, but i do have a 15 round from a G22 that i can add to the mix if necessary. So i have at least 27 rounds on me at all times.

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    One could also invest in shooting more and in realistic training to have the same effect. :)

But then, nobody was ever killed because their gun had too much ammo.

I normally carry 15 round mags for a G22. I have 2 on my belt and one in a pocket, accesible to the strong hand.

It's not so much for round count as it is for access. If I'm wounded and need ammo, I don't want to be standing there like I'm petting the neighbor's dog in the middle of what used to be a gunfight and is about to become a murder scene. <g>
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Train to a minimum at the range, and expect to achieve only 50% of that in a SHTF situation. Or train SHTF at the range and increase your odds in the real world. I carry a compact 9mm, so I can only hold 8+1. But I carry a spare mag as well. Better to have it and not need it, than the other way around.
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    I carry 8+1 and sometimes another eight depending on which holster I go with. I recently got one of those cool NRA concealed carry shirts so I might start carrying two extra mags. Prepare for the worst hope for the best. However I don't think I would have time to go through 3 mags 99% of the time it will likely be over after about 3 shots. I hope.

I've always got 16+1 in the gun, plus two spare mags. Almost a whole box of .40, you know, just in case...

:-)
    He said to them, "But now let the one who has a moneybag take it, and likewise a knapsack. And let the one who has no sword sell his cloak and buy one."

- Luke 22:36 (ESV)

Carry all of it...

I always carry a spare mag...not because I fear a zombie outbreak (but hey, it could happen ), but in the event I have problem with my primary mag, I have a spare (one is none, two is one)...

I wouldn't get concerned with the amount of ammo one's firearm can hold, as much as can you hit the target (under stress) with what you have?
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

As soon as I get my double mag holder from Rocky at Pure Kustom, I will be carrying 49 rounds total. 16+1 in the gun, and 32 on my hip.... and that is 40S&W!!!

I always carry a spare mag. Sometimes I carry my hi-cap mag.

XD 40SC

I carry my G26 with either a 10+1 or 15+1 depending on the magazine I'm carrying that day. If I'm wearing a shoulder holster I'm carrying 10+1 & two 15-round magaines for a total of 41 rounds.

When it comes to magazines even glock magazines can misfeed or you can have a few bad cartridges now & again. As a general rule I always carry two magazines. You never know when you may need that spare magazine.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Quote Originally Posted by hakuthedog View Post
    Hello all,

I found a thread/post in here before and couldn't find it in the search function. It is regarding the amount of ammo to hold in a CCW. The post mentioned that even trained LEO miss roughly 80% of the time, and with a 10 round mag, they would only get the perp twice. So with a 20 round mag, they would increase their chance to hitting the perp 4 times.

I am not sure how accurate those numbers are, but if anyone knows any info related to that (or could find the post) it would be of much help!!
    I suspect that the low LEO hit percentages are because of the perps shooting from inside of buildings, behind cover, and at much greater than SD distances.

Most LEO's are not gun people. They shoot the minimum required by their department...once or twice a year for qualifications. Their marksmanship scares me to death. Ever wonder why you read about an LEO shooting where 72 rounds are fired and the bad guy gets three hits? Those rounds are heading into our neighborhoods.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Ten-shot 9mm Kel-Tec P-11 inside my driver's-side door pouch with a spare ten-round magazine ready [for a quick reload] right inside the interior door-handle slot above it.

I carry 6+1 and 6 more =13 in this time of peace and ROL.

P3AT mag holds 6 + 1 in chamber and spare mag in front left pocket.

If ROL brakes down I will carry larger caliber and more ammo with P3AT as back up.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links