Spare magazines - how many do you carry, etc.

This is a discussion on Spare magazines - how many do you carry, etc. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ripley16 None. I'd carry a spare gun before I'd begin carrying spare mags. No civilian defensive engagement that I've ever heard or ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Spare magazines - how many do you carry, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ripley16 View Post
    None.

I'd carry a spare gun before I'd begin carrying spare mags. No civilian defensive engagement that I've ever heard or read about involved using a spare mag.
    Good point, I've never read about that either. I'd go with a LCP in pocket before a spare mag I think.

EDC holds and is 100% reliable...haven't felt the need to bog myself down trying to conceal something else.

Anyone have any good ideas for a horizontal belt mag carrier for a couble stack (M&Pcompact) magazine? I might have to think about this.
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

2. Remove Ads

None.

I'd carry a spare gun before I'd begin carrying spare mags. No civilian defensive engagement that I've ever heard or read about involved using a spare mag.
    I beg to differ. There was a story in the book "Thank god I had a gun" (correct me if I'm wrong about the title) about a gentlemen in his car when he came up on an assault on a Arizona police officer. I don't remember the whole story but I do know that he emptied his gun at the BG while driving towards him and ended up having to close the distance and engage him by hand. So there is at least one incident where a spare mag would have been nice if not esential and i say this because the BG had a gun as well.
    Live in yellow or die in white.

GM
    Two spare mags in two different belt pouches (13 + 7); one for the primary and one for the BUG.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

ALMOST always carry 1 spare in a Blackhawk plastic clip/case......either on my belt or in a pocket.

Sometines I'll carry two or more, sometimes no spares. I knowI should always have at least one spare but sometimes around the house or quick trips here or there I'll leave it on my desk. I do have several around the house always full and ready to go.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I carry two spare mags for my sig 229, weak side. No spare for the bug (rugep lcp w/ crimson trace) - better to be caught with it and not need it than with out it and need it.

2 spare 15 rnd mags of cor-bon 9mm dpx 115gr.
    Walther P99 AS full size 9mm
    Kahr P9 compact 9mm

NRA
    Michigan Sheriff's Association
    “The key is to hit them hard, hit them fast, and hit them repeatedly. The one shot stop is a unit of measurement not a tactical philosophy.” Evan Marshall

My EDC is a 1911 8+1 and a spare 8 round mag on the weak side in a mag pouch on the belt. If I go out of town I put an extra in the truck.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BrassBlazer View Post
    I have yet to carry a spare magazine.The closest I've come is sticking an extra one in the car one time when we went out of town for the weekend. Of course, my gun's magazine holds 16 rounds. I figure in most situations I'm likely to encounter, I will have won or lost within 16+1 rounds.

Nonetheless, I'm still interested as well to hear how people carry their extra.
    Having an extra mags isn't just about spare ammo, its also about having a back up if the mag in the gun malfunctions, you should always carry at least one spare, just MHO.

2 spare mags on body, extra in coat if I'm wearing one, and a whole lot more in the car.

Ammo is like blood. You only have what you have, and when it's gone, you don't have it anymore.

VIP Member
    I carry a 1911 and as said many times here, I carry at least one spare magazine, more for possible malfunction than for round count. To me, it's just foolish not to! "Murphy" goes everywhere I do and usually get's there first!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I carry at least one spare mag. I always want a reload on me. Not necessarily because I believe that any encounter I may get into might require me to reload in the middle of a protracted firefight but because the single most common mechanical failure in any semi-auto handgun is a magazine failure. So I want another in case that happens.

None.

I would ask you and anyone else who thinks this way, how long have you been carrying and what kind and how much training have you taken. Because it sounds like something a noob with little or no training would say to me.

Not trying to insult anyone, just pointing out that a spare mag weighs next to nothing and having one just seems silly to me.

And before you ask, I have carried for over 20 years, and I have spent waaay more that $10,000 on various training classes. Plus, I have instructed in the past, professionally. So, please don't try to tell me I don't know what I am talking about.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    I carry at least one spare mag. I always want a reload on me. Not necessarily because I believe that any encounter I may get into might require me to reload in the middle of a protracted firefight but because the single most common mechanical failure in any semi-auto handgun is a magazine failure. So I want another in case that happens.

I would ask you and anyone else who thinks this way, how long have you been carrying and what kind and how much training have you taken. Because it sounds like something a noob with little or no training would say to me.

Not trying to insult anyone, just pointing out that a spare mag weighs next to nothing and having one just seems silly to me.

And before you ask, I have carried for over 20 years, and I have spent waaay more that $10,000 on various training classes. Plus, I have instructed in the past, professionally. So, please don't try to tell me I don't know what I am talking about.
    I didn't ask, I don't really care, but seeing as how you've deemed me a "noob" (whatever that is) and called me "silly"... I've carried a gun since 1975, much longer than yourself. The F.B.I. trained me.

I don't consider my self a new anything, but thanks for the thought, wrong as it is.

I'm glad you are well trained, but that isn't the point. Civilian armed engagements occur quickly, at short distance and involve few rounds. Very, very few incidents are outside of this realm. A spare gun solves more problems and is more apt to be deployed quicker than a mag change, and in many cases weighs less.

If you choose to arm yourself like a Mexican drug dealer, that's your business. I don't. I carry a gun these days purely to protect myself...not to conquer Europe.

but because the single most common mechanical failure in any semi-auto handgun is a magazine failure.
    Which is why a spare gun is a better idea when trying to fix a non-functioning weapon. I won't be so bold as to say you don't know what you're talking about...IMHO you just need more experience, then maybe you'll see the light.

I don't carry yet as I'm searching for a job ATM and don't own any guns, but when I do buy a gun and start carrying, I plan on carrying two spare mags and/or maybe a 33 round mag if I get a glock and if I can find a way to strap it to my leg and have it easily accessible. IDK, maybe that's over doing it *shrug*
    Ron Paul 2012

There are three kinds of Yankees: Yankees, Damn Yankees, and Floridians

I wouldn't be carrying a big 33 round log of a glock mag;) But to each his own, perhaps in the car but unlikely. I do however carry a 1911 with 2 mags off hand side. I do it for two reasons, one it offsets the weight of the gun on my belt, and it could possibly be needed to fix a malfunction or just need more ammo.

I think it was on this forum where someone posted a video of a jewelry store being robbed and the guy defending the store. He was accosting the criminal on the ground while holding an empty gun. I think he wished he was carrying a backup mag. I'm not knocking anyone's training nor beliefs we all carry for our own reasons and accept certain shortcomings in the guns we carry for the sake of concealment. I think in virtually any shooting encounter I can think of getting myself into I would prefer to have a long gun but it's just not concealable enough:)

Luke

Quote Originally Posted by luke213 View Post
    I wouldn't be carrying a big 33 round log of a glock mag;) But to each his own, perhaps in the car but unlikely. I do however carry a 1911 with 2 mags off hand side. I do it for two reasons, one it offsets the weight of the gun on my belt, and it could possibly be needed to fix a malfunction or just need more ammo.

I think it was on this forum where someone posted a video of a jewelry store being robbed and the guy defending the store. He was accosting the criminal on the ground while holding an empty gun. I think he wished he was carrying a backup mag. I'm not knocking anyone's training nor beliefs we all carry for our own reasons and accept certain shortcomings in the guns we carry for the sake of concealment. I think in virtually any shooting encounter I can think of getting myself into I would prefer to have a long gun but it's just not concealable enough:)

Luke
    Yeah, I not sure about it either. It would look kinda awesome, though, pulling that thing out during a gunfight :P Seriously, though, I was considering it cause I would get 3 more rounds then I would carrying two backup mags and I wouldn't have to switch mags but once.
    Ron Paul 2012

There are three kinds of Yankees: Yankees, Damn Yankees, and Floridians

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links