Don't Bring A Handgun To A Rifle Fight (video) - Page 3

Don't Bring A Handgun To A Rifle Fight (video)

This is a discussion on Don't Bring A Handgun To A Rifle Fight (video) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; That officer was woefully unprepared to take the drivers life for whatever reason. Using this situation as an advert is disgusting, but it should remind ...

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Don't Bring A Handgun To A Rifle Fight (video)

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    That officer was woefully unprepared to take the drivers life for whatever reason. Using this situation as an advert is disgusting, but it should remind those that attempt to step in harms way that they must have already decided that they are capable of killing another human.
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

OMG that is very, very, very hard to watch.....

God Bless that Deputy and is family.........

I am not a LEO and "armchair quarterbacking" is easy sitting in the comfort of you home watching this......

but as soon as that nut-job pulled out that rifle the Deputy should have STOPPED SCREAMING and started focusing on his front sight......at that moment the time for commands is over, shoot to kill!!!!!

DAMN that is hard to watch..........OMG!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob 24 View Post
    They caught him the next following day and he was executed. you can google his name and it will show the court execution order...etc

GOOD!!!!! piece of human-filth deserved it in every way

That is chilling, and difficult to watch a man, a LEO, lose his life. Senseless tragedy, his wife and children suffering such a loss. His son was born after his death. I can't even put into words how this makes me feel.

To all LEOs (current and former), thank you for the risks and sacrifices that you and your families deal with every day. You never know what to expect. There is no such thing as a routine traffic stop.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

VIP Member
    Clearly this was hard to watch. However, this LEO had multiple opportunities to take down the suspect but unfortunately he couldn’t bring himself to do it. Be it extreme fear or something else. In any event, this video serves as a sobering reminder that we must commit to use deadly force, when the threat is clear and unavoidable.

Makes me feel better that I signed up for Massad Ayoob's class...
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Makes me feel better that I signed up for Massad Ayoob's class...
    Curious, was that on your own or through your department ?

This video, along with numerous others that also ended badly for the officer, was shown in my Georgia academy class last year. The officer's experience is being used to train new officers in both what was done right, in terms of escalating force, and what could have been done better, in terms of using deadly force at the moment an already aggressive subject went for a weapon. However, the same question will continue to confront each new officer: can he or she make the judgment call and recognize the need to employ deadly force in the fraction of a second they will have to decide? For many, judgmental pistol shooting classes give them the first taste that they might be responsible some day for having to make the deliberate decision to take a life and simunitions training, where available, makes it even clearer. Civilians expect the police to always give them the benefit of the doubt and to scrupulously adhere to the use of force continuum. They also expect shoot/no shoot situations to be absolutely clear one way or another. You will read on this forum numerous comments criticizing police actions when they stop and search people. However, for the single officer on patrol, where backup is commonly 20 minutes away, he or she is always caught between the rock (of community expectations) and a hard place (the possibility that a traffic stop will suddenly turn violent). In the end, training, experience and personality all come into play. Most officers I know want to give someone they have stopped the benefit of the doubt. Some pay a high price for it. The answer, as we could see in hindsight, unfortunately, was for the officer to shoot as soon as the subject went for his M1 carbine and refused the first command to drop it and back out of the truck's doorway.

A civilian should not be in the type of situarion portrayed in the video, in terms of making a traffic stop, but could be in any number of situations where situational awareness could lead to a safe retreat or, where a safe retreat was not feasible, the ability to anticipate an opponent's actions and be prepared to react accordingly.

ps, I took Mas Ayood's LF1 course prior to going to the academy and highly recommend it to anyone who carries. At the very least, take the two-day classroom legal portion of it. In the meantime, his venerable book, In the Gravest Extreme, still has plenty of relevant information in it.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    This makes me sick on so many levels.

Yes, the officer should have opened fire as soon as that dirtbag went for the weapon. As soon as he started dancing around like a freak, the shotgun in the cruiser should have come out.

That's bad enough. But for "Dr" Piazza to use this as part of his sales message is just disgusting. I'm all for after-action reviews, with an eye toward learning what could have been done better, so others have better training. But - that should be absolutely separate and distinct from trying to sell your training program.

Piazza makes me want to vomit. This officer had a family, and for Piazza to use this video to sell his school tells me all I need to know about him and his school.

I also saw his ads in "American Rifleman." He calls himself "America's Millionaire Patriot." Gag me! The guy has an ego about as big as Obama's. And he is "giving away" a free XD pistol to his students. Really? I may not be an economist, but even I know that there is no such thing as a free lunch.

Ugh. I gotta go take a shower. I feel dirty.
    I must agree with the above post. I think this should not have been used to market his business. I think front site is extremely expensive training anyway. I agree, very bad. You could hear the terror in the LEO's voice and I feel very sad for the LEO's family. RIP.

Type 3 Offender

This was a Failure to Stop on a Type 3 Offender. A Type 3 Offender does not act in a rational or expected manner. The BG showed no effects from being hit COM. He was determined to KILL this Officer and he did. It was poor officer tactics meets superior firepower, that looked like a Mini 14 to me? The real lessons here? Take decisive action early. If overmatched exit if at all possible. Long Guns beat Handguns. The 308 looks better all the time. Oh yeah and I am glad they executed that SOB.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    Curious, was that on your own or through your department ?
    Actually no, it's been a long time since I carried a badge. This one is on me, and its something I wanted to do last year but I was a day late and several dollars short. This time, I bit the bullet and committed to the class. It’s called the MAG-40 course and it’s a 4-day event. I fully expect to get humbled, and more importantly, learn from a master.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

GM
    That was horrible. God bless the Officer and is family.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

It's disgusting that this was used as an advertisement. The guy running that school must have no soul. After seeing that, I'll never visit the school regardless of what people say about the training. I'd rather be untrained than give money to someone who'd make money being an armchair quarterback about a man's death.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    I don't know whether to focus on the tactical lessons, the hideousness of using the tape as a sales tool or the disgust I feel for the murderer.

I'll skip the tactical; I'm not a LEO or a LEO trainer, so there is very little I could offer on that count. Like someone else ably said, "armchair quarterbacking" is all it would be, and I lack the qualifications to make a meaningful contribution.

The murderer was just begging to be killed. I wish Deputy Dinkheller would have ventilated the murderer. Most of my venom flows for the murderer here. There was no eason to start a gunfight with Deputy Dinkheller, let alone murder him. Unless the murderer had an active warrant out on a murder charge, the murder was as mystifying as it was disgusting.

I've got a little venom saved up for the two-bit hustler that (deliberately used "that" instead of "who", grammar fans) is trying to make a buck off of Deputy Dinkheller's mind-numbingly senseless and revolting murder, too.

Beyond the obvious (take something extremely disturbing and make money off of it) I cannot fathom why he is doing it. If you go over something many times and cannot derive a reason for it beyond the obvious, then the obvious must be what it is about.

I hate thinking someone is so shallow.

But that's what the evidence shows, ladies and gentlemen.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

Very Sad

It was very difficult for me to listen to the young officer's screams, I honestly wish I could have been there instead of that young man. As to Dr. Pizza, he and Front Site training are nothing but nonsense, i.e. look at the videos on his foolish site. His bad guys are pieces of paper that all look the same and don't shoot back.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links