Don't Bring A Handgun To A Rifle Fight (video) - Page 5

Don't Bring A Handgun To A Rifle Fight (video)

This is a discussion on Don't Bring A Handgun To A Rifle Fight (video) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by maddyfish I watched the vid. That cop was mentally weak. Not a tough minded individual at all. And it got him shot ...

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Don't Bring A Handgun To A Rifle Fight (video)

Quote Originally Posted by maddyfish View Post
    I watched the vid. That cop was mentally weak. Not a tough minded individual at all. And it got him shot up.
    His previous troubles with being too aggressive also add to my opinion of him. Mentally tough cops don't need to be overly aggressive.
    His past problems likely stemmed from his mental weakness. Weakness and fear that led him to be overly aggressive when not needed. And overly scared, weak, and inactive when needed.
    Kind of like know it all Internet forum tough guys...

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aimhigh View Post
    No words....
    ^^^
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

I watched the vid. That cop was mentally weak. Not a tough minded individual at all. And it got him shot up.
    His previous troubles with being too aggressive also add to my opinion of him. Mentally tough cops don't need to be overly aggressive.
    His past problems likely stemmed from his mental weakness. Weakness and fear that led him to be overly aggressive when not needed. And overly scared, weak, and inactive when needed.
    And you are qualified to make this assessment, how?
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Kind of like know it all Internet forum tough guys...
    Are you referring to yourself? Certainly not me?

You can hear this guys weakness in his voice. Weakness. Guys like this can go years, or even entire careers without trouble. But when they come up against a real predator, they go down. There are far too many guys like this in law enforcement now.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    I dn't believe he systematically did anything he just unloaded on the cop until he could get close enough to finish him off
    Though combat is chaos, superior training and experience (a "system") usually prevails.

Brannan, a former Vietnam veteran and military trained killer, then began a gun battle with the young deputy, resulting in dozens of rounds being discharged at close range between the men. Both Dinkheller and Brannan reloaded several times in under 30 seconds. Brannan hit the deputy at least 10 times with the .30-caliber carbine, systematically disabling him until the final fatal shot.
    Brannan ignored the repeated commands to put the gun down and Deputy Dinkheller apparently fired the first shot. Brannan, a Vietnam veteran, advanced firing on the deputy. Dinkheller returned fire, but succeeded only in breaking a window in the driver's side of the pickup and wounding Brannan in the stomach. Using `suppressive fire', Brannan systematically, methodically shot Dinkheller in the arms, legs, exposed areas that would not be covered had Dinkheller been wearing a bulletproof vest, slowly executing him. Reloading his weapon Brannan continued firing with the final death shot to Dinkheller's right eye.
    Brannan charged the ambush as trained.
    Unfortunately, the deputy was not systematic in exactly what he wanted Brannan to do and where. He issued at least five repeated commands:
    Come here.
    Get your hands out of your pockets.
    Get back, now. (away from me).
    Step back, now. (get out of the car).
    Put the gun down.

Are you referring to yourself? Certainly not me?

You can hear this guys weakness in his voice. Weakness. Guys like this can go years, or even entire careers without trouble. But when they come up against a real predator, they go down. There are far too many guys like this in law enforcement now.
    I guess not being a Know it all makes me unqualified to dispute your assertions.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Originally posted by JodyH
    He had been reprimanded a week before for pulling his weapon on a guy that had dived under the seat to get his wallet.
    I don’t see how that would influence his decision to tell the suspect to drop what was clearly a gun 5 times before opening fire.

Originally posted by maddyfish
    Crude way of putting it but it does convey the fact that the Officer wasn’t committed to the fight and didn’t have the proper mindset. IMO the officer started out waaaaaaaaay behind the curve and never caught up and it did cost him his life

Originally posted by maddyfish
    You can hear this guys weakness in his voice.
    Point, Maddyfish. The Officer wasn’t commanding Brannan to put down the gun he was begging him.

You don't have to like the facts but I'd say this video is pretty compelling evidence of what happens when you refuse to accept them.

There is a big difference in using this Video to learn and critique rather than criticize him. That Police Officer was out there to Protect and Serve. Let us try to Respect that. Cops are human beings and subject to the limitations that involves. This A-Hole was never going to comply and the Officer did hit the guy Center Mass, it was a failure to stop, he was outgunned and he was out fought. But he was also brave and honorable.

That Police Officer was out there to Protect and Serve.
    The police do not "protect". In order to protect they would have to assign a cop to guard you 24/7

the Officer did hit the guy Center Mass, it was a failure to stop,
    When he finally got into the fight.

The work of Political Correctness.
    "All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent"
    -Thomas Jefferson-

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pistology View Post
    Brannan charged the ambush as trained. ....
    That is exactly what I thought. Also, I thought the deputy would have charged as soon as the guy started pulling out the rifle.

My presumption is police have immediate action drills for gun fights and other situations. I am probably wrong about that. Immediate action training is probably unsuited to dealing with civilians.

From my perspective, law enforcement can be a no-win proposition for the officer.

WOW that's really tough.

Had Front site used that video 10 years ago I woould have thought that they were money mongering pigs.
    I really feel bad for the officer and his family.
    But the video should and is being used for in your face training.
    We all can agree that it should have ended in the good guys faviour but he made the error in judgment that cost his life.

The video has convinced My wife that mind set is everything and wants more training,so in that aspect the"sales" video worked.

VIP Member
    Though combat is chaos, superior training and experience (a "system") usually prevails.
    The mind most set to fight will prevail.
    If mindset is equal, then might will prevail.
    If might is equal, then training and technique will prevail.

Brannan charged the ambush as trained.
    Unfortunately, the deputy was not systematic in exactly what he wanted Brannan to do and where. He issued at least five repeated commands:
    The deputy was not set to fight and wound up bringing "A Handgun to a Rifle Fight".

Missed opportunity

Quote Originally Posted by tiwee View Post
    That is exactly what I thought. Also, I thought the deputy would have charged as soon as the guy started pulling out the rifle.

My presumption is police have immediate action drills for gun fights and other situations. I am probably wrong about that. Immediate action training is probably unsuited to dealing with civilians.

From my perspective, law enforcement can be a no-win proposition for the officer.
    The Officers BIG tactical mistake was letting him get back into his vehicle. He should have stayed hands on until he subdued him. Non Lethal weapons such as Taser and OC Spray were called for but this was several years ago. He did have a baton and should have used it to control this guy.
    Ain't Arm Chair quaterbacking fun? (sarcasm)
    Take whatever is said on this site with a grain of salt there can be some very ignorant people giving advice and making comments here.

No, it got him killed.

I can't help but notice, a little respect for that fact missing from your post.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Sponsored Links