Don't Bring A Handgun To A Rifle Fight (video)

This is a discussion on Don't Bring A Handgun To A Rifle Fight (video) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ignatius Piazza: Stop Screaming, Start Shooting… I would have opened on this guy as soon as he was reaching for that weapon. RIP to that ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Ignatius Piazza: Stop Screaming, Start Shooting…

I would have opened on this guy as soon as he was reaching for that weapon. RIP to that LEO.

The officer should have opened fire as soon as the guy pulled the weapon.

At the very end can you can hear a couple gurgling sounds, like the officers last gasps of air?
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

What state and county did this occur?

This makes me sick on so many levels.

Yes, the officer should have opened fire as soon as that dirtbag went for the weapon. As soon as he started dancing around like a freak, the shotgun in the cruiser should have come out.

That's bad enough. But for "Dr" Piazza to use this as part of his sales message is just disgusting. I'm all for after-action reviews, with an eye toward learning what could have been done better, so others have better training. But - that should be absolutely separate and distinct from trying to sell your training program.

Piazza makes me want to vomit. This officer had a family, and for Piazza to use this video to sell his school tells me all I need to know about him and his school.

I also saw his ads in "American Rifleman." He calls himself "America's Millionaire Patriot." Gag me! The guy has an ego about as big as Obama's. And he is "giving away" a free XD pistol to his students. Really? I may not be an economist, but even I know that there is no such thing as a free lunch.

Ugh. I gotta go take a shower. I feel dirty.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

That's awful. My guess is that if it happened today, the bad guy would have been tasered before he had a chance to dig around in his truck and get the rifle out.

Woulda shot him the first time he charged at me. I think I could convince my superior that my life was in danger upon searching the vehicle following the arrest.
    Isn't it always better to call his bluff than he call yours?
    "I believe that's my stapler."

NRA Member for Life
    "I can not, for all the Stars in Heaven, find one instance or occasion or a living example of a woman who gave birth to anything but another human being, regardless of the period of time that baby was in the womb".

I have the utmost respect for the LEOs and military that put their life on the line to protect and defend my country, but this is soo sad.

There is absolutely NO valid conceivable reason for the driver of the truck to pick up that weapon. Period. He asked for suicide by cop as soon as he pulled it from the cab. He should have been put down like the animal he is.

Why did the officer not take action immediately? I am no LEO, but it seems like the time for warning was long over.

My deepest regrets to the LEO's family and friends, but this appears to be either a training issue, or someone who was simply in the wrong line of work.
    Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn. -C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by puncho View Post
    What state and county did this occur?
    Deputy Kyle Dinkheller, Laurens County, GA, was minutes from being off duty when he encountered a speeding pickup truck going 98 mph. The deputy was an ICE (Interstate Criminal Enforcement) officer that dealt with traffic infractions, speeding and the occasional drug bust. This was a low risk or unknown risk stop for speeding. He radioed in the speeding infraction, made a U-turn in the median and pursued the vehicle.

The driver, Andrew Brannan, stopped his vehicle, exited and started a crazy, dancing jig in the middle of the road while swearing at the officer and shouting `I'm a god-damned Vietnam vet." At first, he ignored Dinkheller's commands to step towards the deputy, which always began with `Sir'.

When he finally complied, he attacked the deputy and a scuffle ensued. The deputy implemented the use of his asp and ordered Brannan to `get back'. This procedure was repeated, but after what appeared to be a second scuffle, the suspect returned to his vehicle and retrieved a M-I Carbine from under the seat. The first shots were fired nearly 50 seconds after Brannan returned to his vehicle despite the deputy's commands.

Brannan ignored the repeated commands to put the gun down and Deputy Dinkheller apparently fired the first shot. Brannan, a Vietnam veteran, advanced firing on the deputy. Dinkheller returned fire, but succeeded only in breaking a window in the driver's side of the pickup and wounding Brannan in the stomach. Using `suppressive fire', Brannan systematically, methodically shot Dinkheller in the arms, legs, exposed areas that would not be covered had Dinkheller been wearing a bulletproof vest, slowly executing him. Reloading his weapon Brannan continued firing with the final death shot to Dinkheller's right eye.

Tour of Duty: 4 yr
    Badge Number: 37

Cause of Death: Gunfire
    Date of Incident: Monday, January 12, 1998
    Weapon Used: Rifle; .30 caliber
    Suspect Info: Sentenced to death

Deputy Dinkheller was shot and killed after pulling over a man on a rural road about 6 miles north of Dublin, Georgia. During the traffic stop he called in for backup. Before the backup arrived he was shot by the man with a rifle. He was able to return fire, striking the suspect in the stomach. The suspect was found during a search the next morning and taken into custody. The incident was videotaped by an a camera in the cruiser. On January 28, 2000, the suspect was found guilty of murder and on January 30 was sentenced to death.

Deputy Dinkheller is survived by his pregnant wife and 22-month-old daughter. Deputy Dinkheller's son was born in early September, 1998.

No words....
    "You can say 'stop' or 'alto' or use any other word you think will work but I've found that a large bore muzzle pointed at someone's head is pretty much the universal language."

NRA Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org

Okay, so this happened about 12 years ago. Surely there has been some additional or remedial training between then and now. Surely this recorded incident has been pored over by every LE department from Maine to Blaine, and the mistakes were noted and corrected.
    This should never have happened, but by God, it should never happen again.

NRA Member for Life
    "I can not, for all the Stars in Heaven, find one instance or occasion or a living example of a woman who gave birth to anything but another human being, regardless of the period of time that baby was in the womb".

Yes, there were abuses and mistakes made during the bad old days, prior to lawsuits and Miranda Rights abuses; but people used to know when to "STOP!" when they were told to by cops, because they KNEW that they could and would be shot. Now, cops are afraid that they will be sued and fired before they retire, risking their lives and not coming home to kids and wives. That nut with the shotgun did not dress like he was wearing a vest, did he? Uh-oh, he was getting off work and did not expect such a hassle over a speeding ticket, probably, just wanting to write the ticket and then go home.

Piazza makes a good point but unfortunately by providing criticism for the last moments of a public servant's life.

Powerful and emotional advertising is one thing, but I think this just demonstrates a mastery of heartless douchebaggery.

I'm speechless, the officer should of opened fire immediately after the suspect grabbed his weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    Yes, there were abuses and mistakes made during the bad old days, prior to lawsuits and Miranda Rights abuses; but people used to know when to "STOP!" when they were told to by cops, because they KNEW that they could and would be shot. Now, cops are afraid that they will be sued and fired before they retire, risking their lives and not coming home to kids and wives. That nut with the shotgun did not dress like he was wearing a vest, did he? Uh-oh, he was getting off work and did not expect such a hassle over a speeding ticket, probably, just wanting to write the ticket and then go home.
    I don't know where you spent your formative years, Cold Warrior, but the bad guys in my neighborhood, I mean the real bad guys, wouldn't even take as long as the guy in the truck did to light up that LEO. I know what you're trying to say, because that's how I was raised too. But unfortunately, not everyone had the same, respectable and righteous upbringing that we had.
    With all due respect, are you, or have you ever been, a LEO? Are you trying to say that LEO's, when finding themselves in a life and death situation, actually think about and are worried about the gunman suing them, before and/or after they've stopped a criminal in his tracks, thereby saving their own life? Really?

Point of interest: who is the "nut with the shotgun"? The bad guy didn't have one. The LEO definitely didn't use his (if he had one).

IMO, a twenty-two year old, no matter how smart he is, doesn't have near enough experience, or for that matter, training. In all honesty, how much training does a fella from Dublin, Georgia (no offense to my honored Georgians) really get?

"Uh-oh, he was getting off work and did not expect such a hassle over a speeding ticket, probably, just wanting to write the ticket and then go home."
    That's an awfully big assumption to make without having the whole story. By and large, the men and women who choose to serve in law enforcement are professionals. Thank God for them.

NRA Member for Life

Quote Originally Posted by cryogenic76 View Post
    Piazza makes a good point but unfortunately by providing criticism for the last moments of a public servant's life.

Powerful and emotional advertising is one thing, but I think this just demonstrates a mastery of heartless douchebaggery.
    Well said. I'd never give a penny to that douchebag.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Links