When you see the sign "no firearms" on businesses....

This is a discussion on When you see the sign "no firearms" on businesses.... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Only state and federal governments have the authority to declare a location off limits to firearms. A business owner can put up all the signs ...

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: When you see the sign "no firearms" on businesses....

Only state and federal governments have the authority to declare a location off limits to firearms. A business owner can put up all the signs they want but I'm not going to tell them I'm armed. It's none of their business. An employer can make firearms a part of their employment contract, but that doesn't mean you are in violation of any law if you choose wear a concealed weapon at work. It just means you are in violation of the employment contract.

I'm certainly not going to allow a business owner to deny my second amendment right, I don't care what sign or policy they have.
    "You have to answer for Santino, Carlo. You fingered Sonny for the Barzini people."

2. Remove Ads

In Missouri posted business can only ask you to leave; only refusal will result in legal problems and then only a trespass ticket.

That said WHY would you want to give your money to someone who wants to deny your right to defend yourself?????
    I carry "NO GUNS=NO MONEY" cards and will walk in, hand them a card and leave. I will go out of my way to avoid such businesses.

There is a sign at the Taco Mac at the GWCC in downton Atlanta that actually sates "No guns" has the cicrle picture and then adds "even if you have a permit" underneath then goes on to list GA State laws. We won't be going back.

Quote Originally Posted by mcosr View Post
    My great uncle has always told me he'd rather be alive to stand trial for carrying where prohibited than dead because he obeyed a sign & something happened...
    I agree 100%
    "A free people ought to be armed." - George Washington

BTW, I went to the Ringling Brothers CIrcus today at Philips Arena. Philips Arena looks in your purse and asks you to show them what's in your pockets. Nobody asked me if I had my gun or checked for one.

Tennessee law:
    Posted notices shall be displayed in prominent locations, including all entrances primarily used by persons entering the building, portion of the building or buildings where weapon possession is prohibited. If the possession of weapons is also prohibited on the premises of the property as well as within the confines of a building located on the property, the notice shall be posted at all entrances to the premises that are primarily used by persons entering the property. The notice shall be in English but a notice may also be posted in any language used by patrons, customers or persons who frequent the place where weapon possession is prohibited. In addition to the sign, notice may also include the international circle and slash symbolizing the prohibition of the item within the circle. The sign shall be of a size that is plainly visible to the average person entering the building, premises or property and shall contain language substantially similar to the following:
    PURSUANT TO 39-17-1359, THE OWNER/OPERATOR OF THIS PROPERTY HAS BANNED WEAPONS ON THIS PROPERTY, OR WITHIN THIS BUILDING OR THIS PORTION OF THIS BUILDING. FAILURE TO COMPLY WITH THIS PROHIBITION IS PUNISHABLE AS A CRIMINAL ACT UNDER STATE LAW AND MAY SUBJECT THE VIOLATOR TO A FINE OF NOT MORE THAN FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS ($500).

no one has challenged what the "substantially similar" means in a court of law.
    If they don't want my gun...they don't want my business or my money. I won't go in.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

In Oklahoma it's my understanding from more than one source that signs don't really mean anything legally. If it's a place I legally can't carry such as a federal building or school, I follow the requirements of the law for disarming. If it's a business that has a sign posted, I walk right in and do my business that time for convenience's sake, but make a mental note not to give them my business anymore.

The thing about carrying into a business with a sign for me is this: their sign means nothing legally. The only thing they could get me for is trespassing if they see it, ask me to leave and I don't. However, allowing them to see it breaks the cardinal rule of CC to begin with. So basically, as long as I'm doing my job as a responsible CCer, they should never have reason to ask me to leave.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Mediocre View Post
    BTW, I went to the Ringling Brothers CIrcus today at Philips Arena. Philips Arena looks in your purse and asks you to show them what's in your pockets. Nobody asked me if I had my gun or checked for one.
    I brought the kids there for the Royal Rumble and might have carried if I had known it would be that easy.
    The lady at the door tried to give me some Crap about the tiny KNife/tweezer/toothpick/scissor swiss army knife thing on my key chain. The blade is maybe 1 inch long and 1/4 wide.
    Unbelievable

Sled

As far as the law goes, it is the firearm that cant go in, not the ammo. So a magazine holster is ok. But ammo is no good without the gun, and you dont want to bring added attention to yourself as you walk back out to the car where your gun is...so my advice is leave it all in the trunk. Use a clip on/off holster for easy removal.
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

LLT
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Again....it depends on the law of your state. In VA, signs do not have the weight of law.

Indulging in your fantasy, after it's all over....you look the manager in the eye and say..."Boy, aren't you glad you had a sign up?"

Really? I was under the impression that here in VA, if a sign is posted, you carry anyway and are caught, it's a trespassing charge (whereas in other states, you must be notified to leave first) - is that not the case?

Further - what constitutes proper signage in VA? For example, nearly every mall I've been in here has "No weapons" posted on the main mall entry doors, but we usually enter through a store (Sears, Macy's, etc.) and those rarely have signs posted at the entrances nor are there any from entering from the store to the mall? I'm under the impression the signs must be posted at all entrances (one would assume this would include the store entrances) otherwise, they're not valid - but I've not been able to pin an answer down for sure.

As far as Im concerned. They can't see my weapon they don't know it's there Unless it is a LAW that I can't carry there I will carry and if by some chance I am spotted and asked to leave Ill never spend my money there again.
    NRA Member

Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

In SC they have to meet very specific requirements - If it is properly posted, then I don't go if I don't have too - if I do, I secure the weapon in the car before going in. Although right now it stays in the car unless I am at my office, as I am waiting for the permit to arrive, but that is what I will do. If I have a choice though I will go to a similar business that isn't posted.

I was checking my law on this and this in what I found out.
    164.265 Criminal trespass while in possession of firearm. (1) A person commits the crime of criminal trespass while in possession of a firearm who, while in possession of a firearm, enters or remains unlawfully in or upon premises.
    (2) Criminal trespass while in possession of a firearm is a Class A misdemeanor. [1979 c.603 2]
    To define enters or remains unlawfully in or upon premises I looked to the definitions in this:
    164.205 Definitions for ORS 164.205 to 164.270. As used in ORS 164.205 to 164.270, except as the context requires otherwise:
    (3) “Enter or remain unlawfully” means:
    (a) To enter or remain in or upon premises when the premises, at the time of such entry or remaining, are not open to the public or when the entrant is not otherwise licensed or privileged to do so;
    (b) To fail to leave premises that are open to the public after being lawfully directed to do so by the person in charge;
    (c) To enter premises that are open to the public after being lawfully directed not to enter the premises; or
    (d) To enter or remain in a motor vehicle when the entrant is not authorized to do so.
    (6) “Premises” includes any building and any real property, whether privately or publicly owned. [1971 c.743 135; 1983 c.740 33; 1999 c.1040 10; 2003 c.444 1]

After reading this definition of "enter or remain unlawfully" in clause (c) it states: To enter premises that are open to the public after lawfully directed not to enter the premises. So I guess the judge would say that the sign lawfully directed me to not enter with my firearm and there for was unlawfully entering. Then you could potentially be convicted of criminal trespass while in possession of a firearm. I would check your states law on criminal trespassing before carrying on posted private property.

Levathain, the issue for you, then, is whether you can be "lawfully directed not to enter the premises." This would be the case if signs have any legal standing in your state (I don't know your laws, so I don't know if they do). If they don't have any legal standing, then "lawfully directed not to enter the premises" could only be done by law enforcement offers or by laws prohibiting firearms in certain places.

I don't believe there is a law pertaining to private property and signs, not that I have read yet but I believe this decision would be decided in court.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Links