When you see the sign "no firearms" on businesses.... - Page 2

When you see the sign "no firearms" on businesses....

This is a discussion on When you see the sign "no firearms" on businesses.... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Guys, gals, we've had it all wrong! That sign, the gun with the circle around and slash thru it? It obviously means no unholstered sidearms, ...

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: When you see the sign "no firearms" on businesses....

Guys, gals, we've had it all wrong! That sign, the gun with the circle around and slash thru it? It obviously means no unholstered sidearms, so we're good to go.

Leaving and not saying anything won't help the cause. If you see a sign and won't give them your money, tell them. Either write them or talk to a manager. Until they see that they're losing money and WILL be put on a list of businesses not to support, they aren't going to change and will continue to have an unfounded opinion on CCW. Educate, don't ignore.

VIP Member
    I follow the guidance of law and especially if it’s a government facility. Now, I do recall seeing a sign when I was leaving a restaurant and I will not go there again. The doors were constantly open with the Sunday crowd, so I didn’t notice it when I entered. As with others’ I will not spend my money at any business that restricts my carry permit. Example, I know that iHop typically has this type of sign posted.

I had a discussion with a storeowner awhile back and she told me they receive a discount on their liability insurance if they restrict weapons. I asked her if she compared the likelihood of a shooting vs. the growing number of 'conceal carry' patrons that may not enter her business through out the day e.g. lower insurance cost vs. lower sales
    Last edited by Saber; January 24th, 2010 at 12:12 PM. Reason: More to say...
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

I've actually never seeen a sign on a business except my bank and I use the drive through there. I routinely walk right by the signs forbidding OC in city buildings but I'm not OCing either.

I have a lock box cabled to the seat in my car in case I have to lock my weapon ,or other valuables, up.

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    The sign issue depends upon which state you're in.
    Some states require the signage to be a certain size and in a specific place to be legal, and other states do not address signage.
    In FL, signs mean nothing...but I've never spotted a sign here.
    Surprise surprise … yesterday I saw one of those signs in FL on the door of a rental office. It looked like the attached sign plus that it had same black text below it saying that firearms were not allowed
    Attached Images
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

The businesses that do display the sign would be in big trouble with no CC folks in there if some crazed nutcase whooped out a full auto AR and opened fire on everyone in there. They just screwed any chance they had of fighting back by not allowing law abiding CC in their business. Until people realize that there is absolutely nothing wrong with a law abiding citizen to carry a firearm, they will continue to render themselves and others vulnerable to crime.

A buisness? I ignore it completely. That is one reason I carry a very small gun. Happily there aren't many signs around here anymore.

Prohibited government buildings? I leave it in the car, although I almost never go to one of those.

If it is a restaurant or someplace like Best Buy, I take my money elsewhere; if it is a place I can't avoid, such as a filling station, I am concealed and no one knows. With Banks, I hit the drive through and I do as much government stuff (license stickers, etc) through either the mail or at the local grocery store office.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinetic View Post
    The businesses that do display the sign would be in big trouble with no CC folks in there if some crazed nutcase whooped out a full auto AR and opened fire on everyone in there. They just screwed any chance they had of fighting back by not allowing law abiding CC in their business. Until people realize that there is absolutely nothing wrong with a law abiding citizen to carry a firearm, they will continue to render themselves and others vulnerable to crime.
    I totally agree with you! And to make it even worse, that office was in a pretty bad area. Like the bad guys should respect their pretty sign. Morons!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    Example, I know that iHop typically has this type of sign posted.
    I believe that is a individual store policy, not a company policy. None of the IHOP restaurants I've been in have been posted. I've eaten in them in OK, VA, KY and IN to mention a few places.

If the signage is not in accordance with state law I totally ignore the signs. As others have mentioned, "concealed means concealed." In a worst case scenario it's discovered I'm CC'ing the worst the business would do is do a formal trespass on me.

All the malls here in Vegas have signage in their policy as you enter them. BUT, it's not legal the way it's mentioned in the mall policy of no firearms. I just ignore it the few times I actually visit the local shopping malls.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

On a follow-up note... I read that CA laws do not allow a gun to be stored in a lock box that bolted to the car. Sounds weird but that's what I read. You can however use a cable attachment like on the Secure It box from Cabela. I'll gladly stand corrected if anybody knows differently.

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    It is not the same in all states; in some states those signs means nothing, I other states you will get in big trouble if you do not follow them. In FL they means nothing, but if for some strange reason they realize that you are CCing and they ask you to leave, then you better do it right away, otherwise you are armed trespassing.
    Of course, it is illegal to carry in any Federal place.

While I am in agreement with many in this thread and try to take my business elsewhere when I have choices.....the signs do not mean nothing.

There is a property owner (or perhaps company) that also has rights. That should be respected...dont you want your rights respected?

So I'm not objecting to your choices....If you choose to enter and remain concealed, that's your decision. Your priority is your safety, etc. I'm just stating that it's hypocritical to just dismiss others' rights when you value your own so much.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by OldLincoln View Post
    On a follow-up note... I read that CA laws do not allow a gun to be stored in a lock box that bolted to the car. Sounds weird but that's what I read. You can however use a cable attachment like on the Secure It box from Cabela. I'll gladly stand corrected if anybody knows differently.
    Wow.

And those cables are practically worthless. Takes 2 seconds to cut thru. Just make sure it's all out of sight and that you stash valuables before you get to your destination so they dont see you hiding it.

I do everything possible to never leave anything valuable, esp. gun, in my vehicles unattended.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    While I am in agreement with many in this thread and try to take my business elsewhere when I have choices.....the signs do not mean nothing.

There is a property owner (or perhaps company) that also has rights. That should be respected...dont you want your rights respected?

So I'm not objecting to your choices....If you choose to enter and remain concealed, that's your decision. Your priority is your safety, etc. I'm just stating that it's hypocritical to just dismiss others' rights when you value your own so much.
    +1 That is a great point.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links