Defensive Carry banner

When you see the sign "no firearms" on businesses....

19K views 163 replies 87 participants last post by  nmcolt45 
#1 ·
Do you bring in ammo clips, or must they be removed as well?

And, what do you do with the firearm? Do you keep a lockbox in your truck/car, put it in the trunk, hide under seat, etc. Looking for clever ideas.

Or, can you just unload it? Not really looking for legal advice, just wondering how people approach this issue.

(yes I am new to cc, thanks for the help)

#2 ·
If the posting doesn't follow my state's laws, then I personally ignore the posting as it's not legal. Granted, I'm taking my chances....that's just me. If I do run across a legally posted no carry posting, I just don't go there. Federal buildings and places listed as off limits under law with no requirements to post, I'll disarm and leave the pistol in my vehicle. I may or may not continue to wear the holster and/or spare magazine. Depends on my gear primarily. I have one holster that's very easily taken off and put back on with my pistol intact. In this instance I 'll remove them as one single item.
I'm not giving advice...this is just what I do.

#4 ·
I'm right there too. If the sign is improper, I ignore it. If it's legal and I must enter, I disarm. If it's properly posted and I have choices, I don't enter. The marketplace offers alternatives and I'll patronize businesses who want my money.

#5 ·
The sign issue depends upon which state you're in.:confused:
Some states require the signage to be a certain size and in a specific place to be legal, and other states do not address signage.
In FL, signs mean nothing...but I've never spotted a sign here.:hand1:

#20 ·
The sign issue depends upon which state you're in.:confused:
Some states require the signage to be a certain size and in a specific place to be legal, and other states do not address signage.
In FL, signs mean nothing...but I've never spotted a sign here.:hand1:
Surprise surprise … yesterday I saw one of those signs in FL on the door of a rental office. It looked like the attached sign plus that it had same black text below it saying that firearms were not allowed :gah:

Attachments

#6 ·
If a business displays a No Gun sign, I spend my money elsewhere,
If it is a school or Federal Building and I absolutely have to enter I'll lock the gun up in my vehicle, while still wearing the empty holster that stays concealed under my clothing. Any extra ammo I may be carrying stays where it is, I can't throw it at 800+ FPS.

#7 ·
As others have said, it depends on your states laws as to what legal status the signs carry.

If I must disarm I will lock my weapon in my truck using a COM safe. I usually keep my spare magazine on and depending on the type of holster I'm wearing, may or may not leave it on. Link leads to the type of safe I use.

Cabela's -- Secure-It Handgun Storage Safes

#8 ·
As others have said, it depends on your states laws as to what legal status the signs carry.
I always keep my mags, knife, and flashlight with me if I have to leave my firearm locked away (federal facilities and courthouses notwithstanding).

Otherwise, I ignore posted signs....while I believe it is altruistic to believe you'll take business elsewhere, there are times where you just need to get what you need and move on.

#10 ·
If it's someplace I need to go, I'll continue on in (always carry, never tell). In GA signs have no legal meaning. If it's a place I like, I'll try contacting the owner or management by email or letter letting them know about the law and how I feel to see if they will remove the sign. If they won't then it means that's a place that doesn't want my business.

Places that are off limits by law (government buildings, etc.), I'll lock the gun in the vehicle.

#12 ·
Take your business elsewhere. There is always an alternative. It may take time.

One of our three local banks put up a no guns sign when they built a new building. I didn't say anything, but as things came due I moved my mom's money and opened accounts for my family in the other banks. Now we are down to one CD which will move in February. I never tell anyone I carry, so discussing the sign was not an option for me. I am sure in our small rural Ozark community, the sign has cost the bank a lot of business.

The funny thing is that in Missouri, if you do carry into a posted business, they can ask you to leave. If you leave, no legal action is available to the business owner. So the bank posting has no practical effect, other than to alienate customers whose families have been doing business there for generations.

#14 ·
I have done it 2 times here were I see the sign and just walk away and
I will spend my money some were else!!

#15 ·
It is not the same in all states; in some states those signs means nothing, I other states you will get in big trouble if you do not follow them. In FL they means nothing, but if for some strange reason they realize that you are CCing and they ask you to leave, then you better do it right away, otherwise you are armed trespassing.
Of course, it is illegal to carry in any Federal place.

#28 ·
It is not the same in all states; in some states those signs means nothing, I other states you will get in big trouble if you do not follow them. In FL they means nothing, but if for some strange reason they realize that you are CCing and they ask you to leave, then you better do it right away, otherwise you are armed trespassing.
Of course, it is illegal to carry in any Federal place.

While I am in agreement with many in this thread and try to take my business elsewhere when I have choices.....the signs do not mean nothing.

There is a property owner (or perhaps company) that also has rights. That should be respected...dont you want your rights respected?

So I'm not objecting to your choices....If you choose to enter and remain concealed, that's your decision. Your priority is your safety, etc. I'm just stating that it's hypocritical to just dismiss others' rights when you value your own so much.

#17 ·
Leaving and not saying anything won't help the cause. If you see a sign and won't give them your money, tell them. Either write them or talk to a manager. Until they see that they're losing money and WILL be put on a list of businesses not to support, they aren't going to change and will continue to have an unfounded opinion on CCW. Educate, don't ignore.

#18 · (Edited)
I follow the guidance of law and especially if it’s a government facility. Now, I do recall seeing a sign when I was leaving a restaurant and I will not go there again. The doors were constantly open with the Sunday crowd, so I didn’t notice it when I entered. As with others’ I will not spend my money at any business that restricts my carry permit. Example, I know that iHop typically has this type of sign posted.

I had a discussion with a storeowner awhile back and she told me they receive a discount on their liability insurance if they restrict weapons. I asked her if she compared the likelihood of a shooting vs. the growing number of 'conceal carry' patrons that may not enter her business through out the day e.g. lower insurance cost vs. lower sales

#25 ·
Example, I know that iHop typically has this type of sign posted.
I believe that is a individual store policy, not a company policy. None of the IHOP restaurants I've been in have been posted. I've eaten in them in OK, VA, KY and IN to mention a few places.

#19 ·
I've actually never seeen a sign on a business except my bank and I use the drive through there. I routinely walk right by the signs forbidding OC in city buildings but I'm not OCing either.

I have a lock box cabled to the seat in my car in case I have to lock my weapon ,or other valuables, up.

#36 ·
The signs at city buildings (Castle Rock) said no firearms and didn't mention OCing . They threatened $1,000 fine and 1 year in jail. I texted the sign to RMGO and they contacted the city DA and threathened an injuction if they didn't change the sign. The DA said the city wasn't trying to limit CCW.

#21 ·
The businesses that do display the sign would be in big trouble with no CC folks in there if some crazed nutcase whooped out a full auto AR and opened fire on everyone in there. They just screwed any chance they had of fighting back by not allowing law abiding CC in their business. Until people realize that there is absolutely nothing wrong with a law abiding citizen to carry a firearm, they will continue to render themselves and others vulnerable to crime.

#22 ·
A buisness? I ignore it completely. That is one reason I carry a very small gun. Happily there aren't many signs around here anymore.

Prohibited government buildings? I leave it in the car, although I almost never go to one of those.

#23 ·
If it is a restaurant or someplace like Best Buy, I take my money elsewhere; if it is a place I can't avoid, such as a filling station, I am concealed and no one knows. With Banks, I hit the drive through and I do as much government stuff (license stickers, etc) through either the mail or at the local grocery store office.

#26 ·
If the signage is not in accordance with state law I totally ignore the signs. As others have mentioned, "concealed means concealed." In a worst case scenario it's discovered I'm CC'ing the worst the business would do is do a formal trespass on me.

All the malls here in Vegas have signage in their policy as you enter them. BUT, it's not legal the way it's mentioned in the mall policy of no firearms. I just ignore it the few times I actually visit the local shopping malls.

#27 ·
On a follow-up note... I read that CA laws do not allow a gun to be stored in a lock box that bolted to the car. Sounds weird but that's what I read. You can however use a cable attachment like on the Secure It box from Cabela. I'll gladly stand corrected if anybody knows differently.

#29 ·
Wow.

And those cables are practically worthless. Takes 2 seconds to cut thru. Just make sure it's all out of sight and that you stash valuables before you get to your destination so they dont see you hiding it.

I do everything possible to never leave anything valuable, esp. gun, in my vehicles unattended.

#34 ·
In Indiana, such signs are rare, and in most cases, not legally binding.

The last one I actually saw was a few years ago in Indy, I believe in Methodist Hospital, where my mother was undergoing a procedure.

I had been there several hours before I noticed the sign. I was carrying as usual, so I went back to reading my magazine, and my pistol stayed concealed.

If I had been asked to leave, I would have.

#39 ·
Get a lockbox mounted in your vehicle, and I am with most others here only place i dont carry are those required by law. If your business says no carry i will spend elsewhere. Great thing at my old job owner had sign that said emloyees and patrons may or may not be packing. Loved that sign

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.