No Firearms signs in NC

This is a discussion on No Firearms signs in NC within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok Everybody talks about what to do when they see a Legal No Firearms sign, and I agree not to give them my business. My ...

Thread: No Firearms signs in NC

No Firearms signs in NC

Ok Everybody talks about what to do when they see a Legal No Firearms sign, and I agree not to give them my business. My question is what is a legal No Firearms Sign in NC, where can I find a link to this . I have looked and cant find it anywhere. Thanks for your help in advance.
    Well You Boys Gonna Pull Them Pistols, Or Whistle Dixie.

2. Remove Ads

Firearms may not be carried:

"any premises, except state owned rest areas or stops along the highways, where
    notice that carrying a concealed handgun is prohibited by the posting of a
    conspicuous notice, or statement by the person in legal possession or control
    of the premises.
    N.C. Gen. Stat. 14-415.11(c)"

There is no mandated style or type of sign in NC. If they post it, ( even with cardboard and crayon) it is illegal to carry inside in NC. If it is posted and you enter, you are already breaking the law. You do not have to refuse to leave in order to be tresspassing. It only has to be in a place where it can be seen before you enter. If there is no sign and you enter, and are then told by someone in charge of the premises (owner or employee) that they don't allow firearms, you must then leave, or you are breaking the law.
    " In theory, reality and theory are the same. In reality, they are not."

GLOCK G23, KAHR CW9, RUGER LCP, TAURUS PT92, TAURUS 689, MOSSY 500

NRA member

Quote Originally Posted by rednecksport View Post
    Ok Everybody talks about what to do when they see a Legal No Firearms sign, and I agree not to give them my business. My question is what is a legal No Firearms Sign in NC, where can I find a link to this . I have looked and cant find it anywhere. Thanks for your help in advance.
    [QUOTE] 14 415.11. Permit to carry concealed handgun; scope of permit.
    (c) A permit does not authorize a person to carry a concealed handgun in . . . (snip) where notice that carrying a concealed handgun is prohibited by the posting of a conspicuous notice or statement by the person in legal possession or control of the premises. .[/QUOTE]

There are no legal requirements for no concealed weapons signage other than "conspicuous notice."

There seems to be a common perception that this means notice must be posted at every public entrance to a property, but I have yet to find a statutory or case law basis for this.

Further, the statute specfically mentions that notice that "concealed weapons" are prohibited, but it seems to be that any signage indicating no weapons is legally binding.

One other note: carrying on a CHP past a no concealed weaons sign is a crime. If you are discovered you can be charged - with or without being asked to leave by the person in chaege of the premises.

On the other hand - no weapons signs have no legal weight on openly carried weapons and incurs no additional penalty on those who are carrying concealed without a permit.

Big Bear beat me to the Post button :)

please take a look at this http://sheriff.co.union.nc.us/ccwinfo.pdf

Every state has its own quirks regarding carrying. NC has a couple, such as:

2. Assemblies and Establishments
    North Carolina law also prohibits any person carrying a gun, rifle, or pistol into
    any assembly where a fee has been charged for admission or into any establishment where alcoholic beverages are both sold and consumed. A concealed handgun permit does not allow a permittee to carry a weapon in these areas.
    4. Events Occurring In Public Places
    North Carolina law further makes it unlawful for any person participating in,
    affiliated with, or present as a spectator at any parade, funeral procession, picket line, or demonstration upon any public place, owned or under the control of the State of North Carolina, or any of its political subdivisions, to willfully or intentionally possess, or have immediate access to any dangerous weapon.
    ----------

No weapons in any assembly where admission fee was charged. No weapons in or at a parade or funeral procession. What's the logic?
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Bug, most of our really bad gun laws predate CC and for some reason they were left in when they passed it. Probably some sort of compromise. And we are having a heck of a time rooting them out. There are some goofy ones.

So tflhndn, does this mean the following?

Conspicuous sign reads "No concealed weapons" = concealed weapons ILLEGAL, open carry LEGAL (but must leave or disarm at request of controller of premises).

Conspicuous sign reads "No weapons" = Both concealed and open carry LEGAL (but must leave or disarm at request of of controller of premises).

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    No weapons in any assembly where admission fee was charged. No weapons in or at a parade or funeral procession. What's the logic?
    Notice that weddings are absent from that list.

The logic is that the other listed items are places where emotions run high, and not necessarily in a good way. The theory there is that adding firearms to the mix is asking for trouble.

I'm not saying I agree with it, but there's the reasoning behind it.
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Quote Originally Posted by smed1869 View Post
    So tflhndn, does this mean the following?

Conspicuous sign reads "No concealed weapons" = concealed weapons ILLEGAL, open carry LEGAL (but must leave or disarm at request of controller of premises).
    yup
    Conspicuous sign reads "No weapons" = Both concealed and open carry LEGAL (but must leave or disarm at request of of controller of premises).
    I am NOT saying this is legal, I am saying the plain language reading of the statute would indicate this - but I would not recommend testing it - just pointing out a quirk in the wording.

As for the other no carry areas... most of those statutes were writted in the early 80s, long before there was a concealed carry permit system in NC.

The no carry where admission is paiid, was an attempt to make them illegal in bars and night clubs.

The funeral and parades ban, was an attempt to disarm a few biker gangs after the attended a funeral in the Charlotte area openly armed to the teeth and appearing parades the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    Notice that weddings are absent from that list.

The logic is that the other listed items are places where emotions run high, and not necessarily in a good way. The theory there is that adding firearms to the mix is asking for trouble.

I'm not saying I agree with it, but there's the reasoning behind it.
    Wrong Bunny! EVERYBODY knows ya got to have a shotgun at a wedding!

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Wrong Bunny! EVERYBODY knows ya got to have a shotgun at a wedding!
    And if it's a formal wedding, the shotguns must be white!!!

Several years ago I officiated at a wedding in which the bride and groom exited under crossed, white shotguns. As they entered their vehicle, they received a ten-gun "salute". No one threw rice or birdseed, but the honor guard bagged a couple of blackbirds.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Links