Armed Citizen Legal Defense Foundation?

This is a discussion on Armed Citizen Legal Defense Foundation? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Is anyone out there a member of the ACLDF? I know we have had a few discussions about lawyers lately, and I got to some ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar

Is anyone out there a member of the ACLDF? I know we have had a few discussions about lawyers lately, and I got to some research and this group came up. It seems like it is fairly new, but I like the concept of what they are doing and they have some big names supporting them. I was hoping for some feedback from people who have experience with them to say if it is a good organization, and what the selection of lawyers looks like. I know they are fairly new, and might not be that large yet?

Any info?
    Walk softly ...

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    I'm interested in getting the same info. They were recommended to me a little over a year ago, and I've procrastinated my way into still not having joined up. They sound good though.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

GM
    I was going to start a thread and ask that question. It sounds like a good idea, but I would like to know more about it before joining.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

If you mean the Armed Citizen's Legal Defense Network (ACLDN), created by Marty Hayes and supported by a network of like-minded attorneys, Mas Ayoob and numerous others in "the business" ...

I believe it's a good concept. The idea is to provide help to upstanding people for when SHTF, legally speaking. A review of the case can be made, and an initial sum can be provided to get the legal ball rolling in situations where ACLDN believes the defensive actions taken were justified. The group works with attorneys across the country to provide a network of people skilled and knowledgeable in the area of defending the justifiable self-defense case.

Haven't had occasion to require the services, thankfully.

If this is the group you're thinking of, I would suggest speaking with a few of the attorneys on the list, as a starting point.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    If this is the group you're thinking of, I would suggest speaking with a few of the attorneys on the list, as a starting point.
    Yes, that is the group I was talking about. The "Fund" or "foundation" comes in depending on what part of the organization I guess.

As far as talking to the attourneys, that isn't an option. The list is only available after you join the network. That's one of the reasons I was asking. Does anyone know how many lawyers they have for WA State? Specifically Tacoma area?

If they have a few lawyers in the area, or at least one that is close to me, I will probably end up joining.
    Walk softly ...

Sounds like a good idea. I will have to check them out.
    "All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent"
    -Thomas Jefferson-

I don't know, couldn't that be twisted as premeditation by an overzealous, anti-gun prosecutor?

"Why did you join this organization if you didn't plan on killing Mr. ___?"

Doesn't the NRA and GOA provide help with legal fees like this? At least that isn't their only function so it wouldn't look SOO bad to the sheep on the jury.

I also don't like that they won't let you see if there's a lawyer in your state before joining. I could pay eighty-five bucks and then find out there aren't any affiliated lawyers in my area, or even my state.
    Ron Paul 2012

There are three kinds of Yankees: Yankees, Damn Yankees, and Floridians

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    I would say it's worth checking it out at the very least and inquiring into what they have or don't have.

As far as the overzealous prosecutor, the same could be said for buying a gun in the first place right? By buying that gun, you planned on killing Mr. ____? didn't you. I'd rather take my chances by having a lawyers card on me and answering for that.

I think I'll check it out also.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Quote Originally Posted by BigStick View Post
    Yes, that is the group I was talking about. The "Fund" or "foundation" comes in depending on what part of the organization I guess.

As far as talking to the attourneys, that isn't an option. The list is only available after you join the network. That's one of the reasons I was asking. Does anyone know how many lawyers they have for WA State? Specifically Tacoma area?

If they have a few lawyers in the area, or at least one that is close to me, I will probably end up joining.
    I don't know how many lawyers are in WA but they are based out of Onalaska, WA so I would imagine that they have a pretty good network here.

Quote Originally Posted by Guardian View Post
    I would say it's worth checking it out at the very least and inquiring into what they have or don't have.

As far as the overzealous prosecutor, the same could be said for buying a gun in the first place right? By buying that gun, you planned on killing Mr. ____? didn't you. I'd rather take my chances by having a lawyers card on me and answering for that.

I think I'll check it out also.
    Yeah, I guess. Wasn't really trying to diss them. Sounds pretty nice and they definitely give you your money's worth. I'm just worried about looking too prepared.
    Ron Paul 2012

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I looked under the affiliated attorneys and couldn't get it to return a single one. Am I missing something?
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Quote Originally Posted by MinistrMalic View Post
    I looked under the affiliated attorneys and couldn't get it to return a single one. Am I missing something?
    I'm pretty sure you have to be a member first.
    Ron Paul 2012

Quote Originally Posted by BigStick View Post
    Yes, that is the group I was talking about.

As far as talking to the attourneys, that isn't an option. The list is only available after you join the network.
    Right. Well, that's one of the benefits of joining the group.

It's an annual, renewable fee, and part of that is that you get access to the list of "affiliated" attorneys they are working with. Not all states have one or more attorneys, yet. Some have none.

Washington has five, with four in the Sea-Tac area.

I don't know, couldn't that be twisted as premeditation by an overzealous, anti-gun prosecutor?

"Why did you join this organization if you didn't plan on killing Mr. ___?"
    Absolutely, planning ahead is "premeditating" on a topic. We'd all be better off if more people did so. Probably, we'd have less crime, as a culture. Going to Harvard, Stanford or UPenn is "premeditation" on doing business (if in B-school), but that's hardly proof that a person is desirous of becoming a white collar criminal of epic proportions. It's an absurd argument, which most any attorney ought to be able to cast aside fairly simply, if made by even a zealot from the other side. Gaining intel about the scope and scale of anyone's pursuits, even a CHL, is simply sane advice, particularly given the number of zealots out there desiring to cut you off at the knees when daring to attempt to defend yourself or your family.

Speaking with the Dean of Admissions is rational, when considering applying to a University. Speaking with a tax guy and an attorney when evaluating a business plan prior to launch is sane advice, when starting a new business. None of those involve life or death decisions, though. But, dare speak with an attorney as part of understanding what you're getting yourself into with a CHL, which might well turn out to involve life-and-death issues, then you're considered a pre-criminal in the initial planning stages? Not.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; January 25th, 2010 at 01:56 AM. Reason: grammar
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

It's an annual, renewable fee, and part of that is that you get access to the list of "affiliated" attorneys they are working with. Not all states have one or more attorneys, yet. Some have none.

Absolutely, planning ahead is "premeditating" on a topic. We'd all be better off if more people did so. Probably, we'd have less crime, as a culture. Going to Harvard, Stanford or UPenn is "premeditation" on doing business (if in B-school), but that's hardly proof that a person is desirous of becoming a white collar criminal of epic proportions. It's an absurd argument, which most any attorney ought to be able to cast aside fairly simply, if made by even a zealot from the other side. Gaining intel about the scope and scale of anyone's pursuits, even a CHL, is simply sane advice, particularly given the number of zealots out there desiring to cut you off at the knees when daring to attempt to defend yourself or your family.

Speaking with the Dean of Admissions is rational, when considering applying to a University. Speaking with a tax guy and an attorney when evaluating a business plan prior to launch is sane advice, when starting a new business. None of those involve life or death decisions, though. But, dare speak with an attorney as part of understanding what you're getting yourself into with a CHL, which might well turn out to involve life-and-death issues, then you're considered a pre-criminal in the initial planning stages? Not.
    That's not what I said. I never said that I believed it made you a criminal. I said that the prosecutor might be able to make THE JURY think that. If you go and talk with a lawyer no one knows about it but you, and even if they did they are barred from using what you said as evidence. Join this thing and it will probably be in the newspapers. If you join the GOA you get help with legal fees and you can explain it as joining a lobby to protect your 2nd Amendment rights.

I might just join once I get a job and buy a gun, or I might join the GOA instead. I was just trying to discuss the pros and cons instead of going with the crowd and making the standard "WOW! That's cool, I need to join that" post. Sorry, I thought this was a discussion board. My bad.
    Ron Paul 2012

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar

ccw9mm - Since I assume you're a member, could you be so kind as to check how many affiliated attorneys are in Louisiana? I think I'm finally gonna go ahead and join up, but it would be kind of a shame to sink $135 for a year's membership (for me and my wife) and then find out they don't even have any attorneys that know my state's laws.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links