Turned in the paperwork

Turned in the paperwork

This is a discussion on Turned in the paperwork within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, I turned in my paperwork last Tuesday. I meant to post but then I went on a camping trip. Anyway, the PD told me ...

Thread: Turned in the paperwork

Turned in the paperwork

Well, I turned in my paperwork last Tuesday. I meant to post but then I went on a camping trip. Anyway, the PD told me that it would take about 2 weeks for it to come back. I didn't have to interview with an officer or anything. They made it sound like it was an assumed thing that I would be getting the permit.

I don't know how much of this was standard policy or is due to the fact that I know the entire police force and work with them regularly as a Deputy DA.

Anyway, I will post again once I have it. Then will start the interesting part. I have never carried a weapon regularly before. I plan on carrying most of the time (because otherwise what is the point). Do you just get used to having it there all the time to where it is like a cell phone or keys. I am hoping that I become comfortable but not too comfortable because it is a firearm. Any tips for that first few days?

Good. Carry all the times, not just part time.
    frankmako

You either always carry or you never carry. That's my motto.
    George Washington: "A free people ought to be armed."

Quote Originally Posted by cali-da
    Anyway, I will post again once I have it. Then will start the interesting part. I have never carried a weapon regularly before. I plan on carrying most of the time (because otherwise what is the point). Do you just get used to having it there all the time to where it is like a cell phone or keys. I am hoping that I become comfortable but not too comfortable because it is a firearm. Any tips for that first few days?
    Welcome from another CA member!

I've had my permit for awhile now and it's a real positive. It is a huge responsibility, but I find I feel more serene and certainly more cautious. Here is a thread I posted after my first few days carrying.

What county are you in? I would hope most counties would issue to a deputy D.A.....unless you are in the Bay area.

Let us know how it goes.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Pardon my ignorance , but since you are an "officer of the Court" ,
    do you get to Carry on the Job?
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Unfortantely no. The title of officer of the court just is a bunch a fancy words that include certain obligations of integrity and professionalism when I am performing legal work. There are a lot of attorneys out there who ignore said obligations and their only motivation is to win and to get money. This group of ethically bankrupt attorneys makes a bad name and reputation for the rest who try and help people or people like me who like to put slime behind bars.

I am hoping eventually, due to the fact that DAs deal with the same kind of trash as police officers, the legislature will at least make it easier for DAs to get a CCW or place DAs in a new category where we can carry at all times without a permit. All a DA would need is his badge and ID.

However, for now, DAs pay for the weapons, the training, and the fees and continue to get CCWs

Assistant Administrator
    Sounds good to me and hope the wait is no longer than expected.

Oh and yeah - as much as law permits, make your carry dedicated at all times.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Hello
    As for the first few days of carry I can offer this advice. Learn to carry with out worring about the weapon. If you find yourself checking to see if it is still there others will take notice. Look in the mirror while at home and carrying the weapon and dressing in several styles to find what works best on your body type. Carry as much as possible even at home for the first few weeks until you just accept that the weapon is there and you are comfortable in your carry.
    I know all this sounds simple but basics are what it is all about. Practice all above until it feels good and it will be.
    Philip L. McCleary
    Security via CCW
    and a lot of practice
    Dispatchers have the best jobs
    we tell the police where to go and they have
    to do it. Policy manual says so.

de N4LNE

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    I have had mine for a short while and I must say it sure feels weired the first few trips out with a gun on your side. Good luck and be safe.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

The one thing that helped me get over the odd feeling of carrying concealed was to carry at home while waiting on my permit. It's basically just a matter of getting use to the added weight on your hip.

As was already said, I check the concealment in the bathroom mirror before heading out the door to make sure printing is at a minimum. Any time I get out of my truck I try to make sure my shirt tail is still covering the gun while standing between the truck seat and partially opened door, after that I try really hard not to "fidget" with anything.

I'd like to think your position with the DA's office would ensure your permit gets approved, let us know how it goes for you.
    Jack

Sponsored Links