Need your help.

Need your help.

This is a discussion on Need your help. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey everyone, I'm new here and I'm sure people asked this question thousands of times, but there is so much info out there not sure ...

Thread: Need your help.

Question Need your help.

Hey everyone,

I'm new here and I'm sure people asked this question thousands of times, but there is so much info out there not sure what to believe. I live in Rockland county, NY and currently have a sportsman/residence pistol permit. I was issued it in July of '09. I would like to get my CCW here in Rockland and would like to know how to go about it. Any and all info would be great. Thanks for your help.

-Sam

Welcome to the forum! Plenty of New Yorkers here I'm sure that can help. I hear it's a rough place. I used to be a New Yorker myself, and a Pennsyltuckian. I'm a converted son of the south now. Everything's cool, so don't be a stranger okay?

VIP Member
    Can't help with permit info, but Welcome to the forum...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Welcome! You may wish to start by clicking on the Handgun.us link at the top of this forum. I briefly read it, and the process looks cumbersome to say the least. Good luck to you!
    Guns: Glock 22, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30 & 36
    Rides: 2006 GTO with my turbo system and tune (635 RWHP); 2009 H-D Street Glide with many mods

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum.

Not a NY'er but I'm sure one of our resident NY'ers will chime in with the info you need.

GM
    I cannot answer your question, but I still would like to welcome you to the forum
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Come To Texas We Are The Greatest Place On Earth and Respirosity with lots of states. Just apply for the out of state license, maybe check if we have repirosity with NY.

Nevermind on the Texas license, NY does not honor. Sorry

Best Advice Move To Texas!!!

Thanks for all the help guys. But I would greatly appreciate it if someone from my area had any info on this. I keep hearing the same old antics from ignorant locals.

"You can only get a ccw if you do banking for a company and handle $10,000 or more and have been robbed before with police reports to prove it, or you work for a gun shop and have to protect the merchandise."

That just seems a little far fetched for me. I know Rockland is difficult but that just does not even sound right.

-Sam

Visit or call your local state police office or whoever issues NY gun licenses.

It's not entirely true, but it is a pain. NY is a "may issue" state, so they have to supply you with a "good" reason for denial. But since you already have your permit in NYS, just get a new app and apply for CC. I'm trying right off the bat for CC. I don't think I'll get it, but I'll sure try again in a year.

I'm almost positive you don't have to do the whole fingerprint BS again. Take a trip to your county hall Permit Office and talk to them. Or call. I'm sure they'll be glad to help.
    Last edited by smylypy; January 25th, 2010 at 07:33 AM. Reason: entered contents of pm
    NRA member
    Registered voter
    Make it take an army to back you down.

I called the pistol clerk today and she told me I need to write a letter to the judge asking him and explaining why I would like my CCW. She was nasty and very cold to me. She told me unless I was LEO or a retired LEO there is no way the judge will grant me one. I asked her what was the legal requirements for a ccw so I can get them in order and she said as long as you have a sportsman/resident permit (which I do) nothing else is required. I do wanna get a better understanding of the local laws and get some official NRA training under my belt to have a better chance with the judge. Any other advice would be great.

-Sam

Links