need help

need help

This is a discussion on need help within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ok let me reword it my bike club is throwing a party and i am the only one with a ccw and they wanted me ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need help

need help

ok let me reword it my bike club is throwing a party and i am the only one with a ccw and they wanted me to carry while i was checking people at door. so is this ok i cant find the answer nowhere on the net. I am in the state of tn.

don't see why it wouldn't be as long as you're not drinking

Quote Originally Posted by p93man View Post
    Let me reword it. My bike club is throwing a party and I am the only one with a CCW. They want me to carry while I check people at door. Is this ok? I cant find the answer anywhere on the net. I am in the state of TN.
    I'm all for carrying but how does it relate to your job of checking people at the door? Is the bike club anticipating trouble? Are you expected to serve as security? If that is the case I would pass on the door check job if I were you as it could turn out to be trouble you don't need.

Quote Originally Posted by davychanchan View Post
    don't see why it wouldn't be as long as you're not drinking
    +1
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

What are you "checking" for and where will you be? At a bar? Private residence? Other? I'm not from TN but you should check the TN carry laws -- particularly if this party is at a bar.

If they are expecting you to be an "off duty cop" you should not take on the job.

You may want to call your permit issuing authority, that or else the states attorney general. This could be a start or a dead end, but it never hurts to ask! This could be one way to get it straight from the folks that have to answer to the state.
    If Guns kill people then all of mine are defective!
    My idea of gun control is using BOTH hands!

Permits in: ND (resident), CT, UT, FL, AZ & MN
    North Dakota Concealed Carry Instructor
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

CHECK YOUR STATE'S LAWS!

In SC, if you are employed as an armed security guard, you must be licensed. You may not have any real police powers, including using your weapon.

Administrator
    What happens if there is trouble and you're actually forced to use your firearm?

Are you ready and willing to turn your life upside-down...and do you have a goodly amount of money in the bank to hire a good attorney?

What if you are forced to use your firearm and you miss your intended target and hit an innocent bystander?
    Are you ready to lose everything you own and do some jail time plus lose your license to carry a firearm forever?

What if a group of troublemakers "gang" on you and take your firearm?

Tell your MC Club to spend the $50.00 & hire an off duty LEO to work your door security.
    They could use the overtime and you don't need the jail time if things go wrong as they OFTEN do.

Just my personal opinion on that.

This is a tough place. i am sure you dont want to upset any members of the club, and you want to show your loyalty to the club! But as previously posted, are you willing to go down that bad road if something go wrong? If you so desire.....
    1st--- check your state law
    2nd---double check again
    3rd-- If you are going to be at the door, you should not be the one checking people in. from a tactical stand point, there should be some one checking the people in, and you opposite side, not drawing attention, giving you complete attention to the task at hand. and a tactical advantage.
    Personally, I like the idea of hireing an off duty officer. only bad things can happen if you put yourself in a position of "authority".
    I dont know your club, and the presence of other clubs in your area, but if you have problemswith other clubs, and they show up, the **** just hit the fan, and you have big problems. JMO.... Dont do it!
    S&W M&P 9C
    RUGER LCP
    S&W 5906
    COLT DET. SPEC.
    S&W 686-6"
    "If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck", Author un-known

Tell your MC Club to spend the $50.00 & hire an off duty LEO to work your door security.
    A BIG +1,000 to that! You can even get off duty State Constables to work private security. Just make sure your place is in his jurisdiction.

Let's talk about why you are the only CCW holder... Gotta' get these guys permits! But back on topic, hire an off duty LEO. No question about it. Once your club buddies understand the responsibility of CCW, they will definitely know better than to ask you to undertake this huge liability.

I've thought and thought , and I gotta ask:
    If the club is so bad you need armed security at a party, should you really be a member and should you be known to carry firearms around them?

Quote Originally Posted by p93man View Post
    ... they wanted me to carry while i was checking people at door.
    Hm. Someone wants you to formally be a greeter/bouncer, but to be armed while you do it. If it were my own home, I can see no problems. But accepting a role at someone else's request ... I am not saying there would necessarily be any additional legal jeopardy involved, but it's something to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    What happens if there is trouble and you're actually forced to use your firearm?

Are you ready and willing to turn your life upside-down...and do you have a goodly amount of money in the bank to hire a good attorney?
    That's what it comes down to. I suppose, you're going to be at that venue anyway. If something ugly does happy, you defend yourself.

But what I'm getting at is the defense of others, the defense of "the place." That's essentially taking a "job" and manning a post. Yet, you're unpaid, and you're likely untrained for it. Uncertain whether TN cares.

As well, what if there is alcohol being served as a function of this party. Any problems carrying, then? Particularly if you're effectively part of the establishment's "staff" (ie, the bouncer)?

For all those reasons, it might be worth hiring a couple of "bouncer" type folks, if formal vetting of people at the door is to be done.

I'm all for being armed at such a place. I'd do it anyway (under OR statutes), no doubt about it. But I don't think I would do so as an official greeter/bouncer. At minimum, I would just prefer to be the "gray man" and not in a forward position that way, if armed. I'd prefer the flexibility of coming from the side in a bad situation. Having to do so while in the effective employ of the establishment, though, puts a whole different spin on things. Before doing that, I would want an attorney's blessing, and an insurance policy covering that role. I'd prefer to avoid any entanglements in terms of essentially being the armed security dude, without training, a license, whatever might be required in the state. (But then, I'm cautious that way.)
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I'll echo what some other members have already mentioned about acting as a "security officer" at the biker club party. DO check local laws if that is something that you need to be licensed to do so all the same. Do you need insurance in the event something "unfortunate" happens at this party?

This is something to think about before you assume the duties of "checking" arriving guests at the door. What would you do if something at the party goes very bad while you are duty checking arriving guests? I'll let you consider that aspect of the job. This is why most private events hire "outside" private security companies for this type job. What this does is indemnify the group who hired them from ANY civil or criminal liability. If something happens at this party they are NOT responsible. YOU are responsible!

When something goes wrong they ALWAYS blame security! If anything bad happens at this event YOU as security may be held civilly & criminal liable if there is a bad experience at this party. Are you ready to assume this responsibility?

I've worked as an armed & unarmed security officer. I've worked parties, social events, etc. where I checked various forms of ID at the venue entrance. Some people were permitted to enter without incident. I had to deny entrance to some individuals as well. Some of these individuals did not take being denied entrance to the event well at all. It could have gone VERY bad VERY quickly.

Here's another aspect of working as someone who's duties will involve carrying a firearm. When I worked "armed security" my employer as per state law here in Nevada was REQUIRED to have $1,000,000.00 liability insurance PER INCIDENT!!! Are you willing to assume that kind of responsibility? You might want to check what insurance you might be required to carry if you are armed. Every state has different requirements.

Sorry for the legth of this reply but you should understand what you are contemplating undertaking. If you act as a "security officer" checking people at door of this private event this is something to consider.

Been there, done that!
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Are you ready and willing to take on and face the responsibility with possible potential, if not probable, legal and civil liabilities? Will there be beligerant mean macho manly drunks with guns and knives who like to fight? Will there be jealous girlfriends and wives? Will they have to show off by messing with the bouncer?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links