No carry in certain places what happened?

This is a discussion on No carry in certain places what happened? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I took my MO CCW this weekend and my instructor (former police officer) told us the places that you cannot take a handgun (coutrhouse, police ...

Thread: No carry in certain places what happened?

No carry in certain places what happened?

I took my MO CCW this weekend and my instructor (former police officer) told us the places that you cannot take a handgun (coutrhouse, police station, school, place with official signs, etc..). His comment to us is what do you think is going to happen if you get caught? The replies ranged from being fined to forms being turned in to the state to being arrested. My question is has anyone ever been caught and what happend?

2. Remove Ads

A Few words of advise DON'T GAMBEL ;-)
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

In Texas the punishment varies to where you get caught. In or on a school grounds or school sponsored event it is a 3rd class felony. Others vary.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

I don't plan on carrying in the obvious places (School, Courts, Police, Amusement Parks, Stadiums, Polling Place, bars, Hospitals) but if they have a sign on the door I will probably ignore it. In MO it is it is not even an infraction unless the licensee is asked to leave the premises, refuses to leave, and a peace officer is summoned.

Good write up by a lawyer for MO state law.
    Kevin L. Jamison, Attorney At Law | Author

A guy that worked for me forgot about the gun in his door pocket trying to come to work. He got picked for a random inspection and when he opened the door to get out, he saw the gun. He told the guards about it and they just turned him around to take the gun home and called us to tattle on him.

Military base, BTW.

I don't carry where it is illegal to. I won't comment on the "no firearms desired" signs.

Our instructor (also Missouri, current Police Commander) said there's literally been one infraction ever given in Missouri, to his knowledge. Most people, when asked, just leave.

I won't ignore any signs, but I'm not particularly looking for them, either. Only when I think a place might have the sign, such as a mall. Interestingly, Chesterfield Mall doesn't have a notice. Felt better for it, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete14 View Post
    I took my MO CCW this weekend and my instructor (former police officer) told us the places that you cannot take a handgun (coutrhouse, police station, school, place with official signs, etc..). His comment to us is what do you think is going to happen if you get caught? The replies ranged from being fined to forms being turned in to the state to being arrested. My question is has anyone ever been caught and what happend?
    The only off-limits in Missouri are busses, schools and federal buildings. The first because of a bus jacking statute, the second because even though there is no state penalty for carrying in a school, since you aren't authorized (like Utah) federal off-limits apply, the third because the fed can do whatever it likes.

Read the statute. The penalty for carrying in one of the 17 innumerated off-limits places is that you may be asked to leave. That makes it just like getting spotted in any place, whether listed or not.

Links