Security Clearance and CCW - Page 2

Security Clearance and CCW

This is a discussion on Security Clearance and CCW within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As others have said, NO YOU SHOULD NOT WAIT . I have a top secret DOD clearance and no problems at all....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Security Clearance and CCW

As others have said, NO YOU SHOULD NOT WAIT. I have a top secret DOD clearance and no problems at all.
    IF YOU STAY READY, YOU AIN'T GOT TO GET READY

Go get that permit...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

no way.

ts / sci here with others. No problems. Go Fetch!

COLD WARRIOR:
    What is it exactly that you show at gun shows? I know of no document or badge that would be proper to show to the person on the other side of the table. Clearances are not something I would bandy about outside of the workplace that required them.

VIP Member
    Having a CHP will have no affect on obtaining a security clearance. I held a Secret and a Top Secret clearance while in the military and also had a carry permit.

I've talked with my local FFL dealer about this. Many of his customers have security clearances from many different branches of the Federal Government (the Capitol is less than 15 minutes from here). A good number of these also have concealed carry permits. He has noticed only one interesting thing. He has had two cases of Federal Government employees with Top Secret clearances have the Virginia State police instant background check come back denied. In one case the guy had an outstanding domestic abuse complaint and ended up having to return his Springfield XD to the seller. In the other case the fellow got all huffy but left.

It seems to me that the two procedures are completely independent, but that the instant background check stays more on top of "issues "than the paperwork clearance process.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    If anything, the CC permit should hasten your security clearance.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Go for it.

The two have nothing to do with each other; having a CCW will do nothing for the clearance process.

The govvie folks doing the security checks could care less if you have a CCW, and the CCW background check touches only a fraction of what the security check does (depending on level).

But do leave your weapon at home if you go for the poly 8^)

I seem to recall the early days of the Obama administration, regarding getting jobs with them, an official announcing that concealed firearm permit holders need not apply.

Other than that, there should be no problem. Obtaining a permit demonstrates your respect for obeying the law. Don't try to hide it, because that may look suspicious and it will come up on a basic check. On the background form where it says to list any other licenses, permits, etc, list it.
    Sui juris
    U.S. Navy Veteran '65-'69
    Retired Police Detective '71 - '01
    LEOSA Certified
    NRA Life Member / SAF Member
    U.S. Constitution (c) 1791, All Rights Reserved.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    I seem to recall the early days of the Obama administration, regarding getting jobs with them, an official announcing that concealed firearm permit holders need not apply.

Getting a clearance is one thing. Getting a job is another -- esp. at a police level.

As I said above, some anti-RKBA supervisor might just not select someone for any reason, as long as they don't admit it -- just picked someone who "fits better."

At the highest levels they don't even need to hide it.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

I have DOD clearance and there were no issues. I was pleasantly surprised to see how many folks I work with have a CCW.

No...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Mic
    How could exercising your 2am rights hurt geting a clearance
    Timid people sleep peacefully at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Molôn Labé!

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post

Getting a clearance is one thing. Getting a job is another -- esp. at a police level.

As I said above, some anti-RKBA supervisor might just not select someone for any reason, as long as they don't admit it -- just picked someone who "fits better."

At the highest levels they don't even need to hide it.
    The person who picks you for employment where a DOD clearance is required is not usually the same person who see the security app. In fact they are done online through the OPM now so your local FSO/SSO will see the main app not the private part. At this point though you are hired contigent on you getting the clearance approved. So, technically you get the job offer before you fill out the paperwork and even if the security guy is HR guy he/she doesn't adjudcicate the clearance just fill out the correct docs etcs...
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links