Texas Highway Patrol

Texas Highway Patrol

This is a discussion on Texas Highway Patrol within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was driving though the Panhandle I-40 when I saw the blue lights behind me. Had my Taurus UL 38 Special in my fanny Pack ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Texas Highway Patrol

Thumbs up Texas Highway Patrol

I was driving though the Panhandle I-40 when I saw the blue lights behind me.

Had my Taurus UL 38 Special in my fanny Pack in my lap.

Officer approached the passenger side and motioned for me to roll down my window......asked for my drivers licence and insurance info.

The first card I could find was my CCW and I handed that to him while I fumbled around my fanny pack for my DL....

He asked "Do you have any weapons in there?"

I said "Yes I have a 38 Special in my fanny pack."

He asked I have a permit or licence for it.......he thought I had handed him my DL.

I told him that the card I handed him was my CCW.

He instructed me to stop fumbling with the fanny pack and to step out of the car.........he was giving signals to his partner that they had a driver with a hand gun.

I met him behind the vehicle and and he told me he was going to retrieve the hand gun.( for his safety)........I explained how to get it from its compartment and he gingerly pulled it out and handed it to his partner who extracted all the rounds.

He said lets sit in the cruiser while they run my info...........

We talked a bit about what I was doing in driving through Texas, family, military service, ect while he ran my info.

His Partner who was in the Back seat handed me my rounds and I put them in my shirt pocket.

He said that he was giving me a warning (I was driving in the passing lane.......no one else on the road)

I said "thankyou".

His partner handed me my Pistol and told me to "make sure I loaded that up after we where done, before I drove off" I said "yes sir".

He said "Not much use in an unloaded pistol cept for a paperweight....I said "thats true".

They gave me back my paperwork and the warning citation, and instructed me to drive carefully and that I could go.

I said thankyou and "keep up the good work"

All in all a good experience.........as I drove off I was impressed with the way they allowed me to keep my dignity and treated me with respect.

My hat is off to The Texas Highway Patrol!
    Thankyou.

Hiway patrol

Very professional!
    They want to go hone at the end of their shift. So, why not handle it professionally, with a good attitude?

We had a recent gun show and there were a lot of LEOs in uniform. I struck up a converstation with a seargent and said " What if you stop me for something like a traffic violation or a tail light out, and I am carrying? "
    He said to inform the officer and follow his instructions. He stated some of the officers will just ask where it is and tell you not to reach for it. Some will just thank you for informing. However, when presenting your license, and reg, put your CWP with them.
    He said they just want to know and should not harrass you. He a;lso said they run across this a lot and are trained in handling it.

VIP Member
    Well done by both parties.

May my first encounter (if ever) go so well.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

All in all a good experience.........as I drove off I was impressed with the way they allowed me to keep my dignity and treated me with respect.
    He treated you like a suspect.

We talked a bit about what I was doing in driving through Texas, family, military service, ect while he ran my info.
    He was pumping you for information

The first card I could find was my CCW and I handed that to him while I fumbled around my fanny pack for my DL....
    Just some friendly advice... get a wallet. When interacting with an LEO, the last place I want my hands are anywhere near my weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post

It's a tough Job.......I was also thinking that as I drove away. I would not want to do it. Every car I pulled over would "be suspect".

It could have been the other way around.......I mean I had the utmost righteous confidence because I knew that I was clean and all my paper work was in order..............Maybe next year I'll have some warrents....who knows........Identity theft could make for an ugly scene with no one to blame but the guy that stole my Identity......It is tough Job.

Maybe it's just me, but why do some LEO's have to give your bullets back in your shirt pocket? Why not keep them in the weapon?
    Sounds like a bunch of toro feces to me.OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I've been stopped 4 times by Texas troopers since I've had my CHL and EVERY time they've been courteous, professional and down right polite! I've handed all 4 my license and CHL at the same time. Only one even asked if I had my CCW with me(which I did in all 4 cases). The CHL was a non-issue with all 4. I got a warning in all 4 stops as well...
    I need to stop speeding to the ranch to deer hunt, I guess!

God bless Texas!:congrats:
    USMC 1984-1992
    To err is human.
    To forgive is divine.
    Neither of which is Marine Corps policy.

"It's all about shot placement."- David (Slayer of Goliath)

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but why do some LEO's have to give your bullets back in your shirt pocket? Why not keep them in the weapon?
    Sounds like a bunch of toro feces to me.OMO
    Not sure....but I expected it. In my CCW class to get my CCW the instructor said that is the way it is done.......to a tea pretty much. And that was New Mexico Law inforcement.

Senior Moderator
    Your are saying that like its a bad thing.

Here is a news flash Treo...

Everyone is treated like a suspect. Like it or not that is the way it is.
    It's how you stay alive.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post

Actually if he wanted to treat him like a suspect, he would have left him standing outside near the car, not sitting in the car, generally they don't let suspects that close to them from my dealings with them.

No, most of the time, our troopers are just shooting the breeze while they wait, the information on that DL will tell them what they need to know, they don't have to pump you for info.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

I have the most respect for LE as I should ,My brother is LEO 25 years in the DROP the first LEO that acts like I'm a criminal knowing my bro's a Leo will knowthat HE is the reason I wont tell em I have a firearm/even if they ask ;-)
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Senior Moderator
    I'm a criminal knowing my bro's a Leo will knowthat HE is the reason I wont tell em I have a firearm/even if they ask ;-)
    You would lie to an LEO that asked if you have a firearm ?

Not smart. Not smart at all.
    Doing that here will get you arrested and you will lose your permit.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyBunny View Post
    Well done by both parties.

May my first encounter (if ever) go so well.
    yup, thats how it should go..i inform a LE officer even if im in a state that does not require it if im packing...just consider it a courtesy.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Your are saying that like its a bad thing.

Here is a news flash Treo...

Everyone is treated like a suspect. Like it or not that is the way it is.
    It's how you stay alive.
    yup, every time I pulled someone over for ANYTHING headlight out, speeding, erratic driving, going too slow(impeding traffic) I always was on my toes..thats when a lot LE officers get killed...ROUTINE traffic stops that turn out to be something more than they appear..like the guy getting pulled over is wanted,has warrants and does not want to go to jail, driving illegal,just committed a crime B4 you pulled him over, etc,etc,etc.....how do I as a officer pulling you over KNOW that that does not fit YOU...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links