obtaining permit suffolk va.

This is a discussion on obtaining permit suffolk va. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I,m new to this so I apologize if I'm doing this wrong.Does anyone know how long it takes to receive you're permit after the application ...

I,m new to this so I apologize if I'm doing this wrong.Does anyone know how long it takes to receive you're permit after the application has been filed in Suffolk Virginia.Thank you

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    VA law states that the maximum time a locality can take to issue a permit or denial is 45 days. If it has gone that long then the receipt that you get from the clerk of the court becomes your temporary permit until the real one shows up.

So, unless you get denied - no more than 45 days.

VIP Member
    By law they have 45 days to issue or deny once you apply. Don't know about Suffolk, but Henrico Co. takes the full 45 days on an initial application, a little faster on renewals.

Suffolk is pretty good. If your stuff is already in and the PD has finger printed you then it shouldn't be too long.

My original permit(s) were from Portsmouth. I moved to Suffolk several years ago and back in '06 I had to renew.

I think it took me about 3 weeks.

Like others have said Virginia is a "shall issue" state and Va. Code states it can take no longer than 45 days for them to process your CHP request.

Be Safe,

NosaM
    "In a crisis, you will not rise to the occasion, but you will default to the level of your training."

45 days, as indicated above...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

The city of Petersburg has been known to take longer than 45 days and deny that they had to issue a copy of the application as a de-facto permit. They used some "creative math" and other inventive rule interpretation. See link below

petersburg CHP process - Virginia - Stories From The States - OpenCarry.org - Discussion Forum

VIP Member
    If it takes more than 45 days. please let VCDL know.

Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc. (VCDL)

BTW -- as you are new to VA CHP, you might want to check out VCDL w/o waiting the 45 days.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

got the letter from the sheriff

I just got the letter from the sheriff saying I was approved and he has forwarded it to the court for final approval.They will call me when the permit is ready.Ya'll are good luck,I just inquired about this a few hours ago.Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shockmhd View Post
    I just got the letter from the sheriff saying I was approved and he has forwarded it to the court for final approval.They will call me when the permit is ready.Ya'll are good luck,I just inquired about this a few hours ago.Thanks
    Interesting.

The Sheriff does not approve applications for CHPs...the only decision authority is the judge. The sheriff only does a background check.

The court shall consult with either the sheriff or police department of the county or city and receive a report from the Central Criminal Records Exchange.
    The court shall issue the permit and notify the State Police of the issuance of the permit within 45 days of receipt of the completed application unless it is determined that the applicant is disqualified.
    If the court has not issued the permit or determined that the applicant is disqualified within 45 days of the date of receipt noted on the application, the clerk shall certify on the application that the 45-day period has expired, and send a copy of the certified application to the applicant. The certified application shall serve as a de facto permit, which shall expire 90 days after issuance, and shall be recognized as a valid concealed handgun permit when presented with a valid government-issued photo identification pursuant to subsection H, until the court issues a five-year permit or finds the applicant to be disqualified.
    Quotes from: LIS > Code of Virginia > 18.2-308
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

^ Yeah but the letter or call you get would be from the sheriff, the judge is too busy.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rmac58 View Post
    ^ Yeah but the letter or call you get would be from the sheriff, the judge is too busy.

Particularly on Wednesdays in warm weather at the country club.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

In Suffolk the court clerk is who calls you. You pick up your permit in the clerks office on the first floor on the right side of the Godwin Building.

Be Safe,

NosaM
    "In a crisis, you will not rise to the occasion, but you will default to the level of your training."

Got my permit

Follow up to how long does it take to get a permit in Suffolk Va.Got my permit today from circuit court took 22 days.Not bad Go Suffolk!

Links