Is It OK To Use Your CHP To Get Out Of A Ticket?

This is a discussion on Is It OK To Use Your CHP To Get Out Of A Ticket? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I don't think my "preconcieved negative opinions" of the fuzz have anything to do W/ the amount of times I've read " I think I ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Is It OK To Use Your CHP To Get Out Of A Ticket?

I don't think my "preconcieved negative opinions" of the fuzz have anything to do W/ the amount of times I've read " I think I got out of a ticket because I showed the officer my CHP" . There's already been one response stating that they would use their CHP to get out of a ticket if they could

2. Remove Ads

Thanks! I'll try it sometime. And if that don't work and the cop don't give a damn, I'll just have to yell and tell him: "You don't know who I am!" Oh, lest I forget. Soon after getting my CCW license, I was stopped by a cop. I fogot to tell him that I was armed inside my car and had a license to carry and conceal my gun. He reminded me that I was supposed to do so. I guess that I forget all about it, not thinking of scenarios and my surroundings and about what might happen outside while I drive.

Being that it's not up to me whether or not I get one or not. I can see no distinction between the CCP and the attitude of the LEO. If he's a Barney Fife, guess what, I bet you're getting a ticket. If he's a professional and possibly somewhat impressed at how you are reacting to being stopped. That, and given your level of respect is reasonable enough, he may offer a warning and take some small consideration regarding the CCP, but I wouldn't count on it. After all, he's just doing his job and if you brought him to your door, you most likely deserve it.

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    I don't think my "preconcieved negative opinions" of the fuzz have anything to do W/ the amount of times I've read " I think I got out of a ticket because I showed the officer my CHP" . There's already been one response stating that they would use their CHP to get out of a ticket if they could

Sorry. I just figured it was a trick question and you had something else in mind.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

VIP Member
    From my experience, it doesn't matter what kind of credentials you have as to whether you get a ticket or not. I've found in most cases it is how you interact with the LEO that will make a difference. Be civil and treat the LEO like you'd want to be treated and chances are, if he has any leeway in the matter, he'll cut you some slack. Be mouthy, disrespectful and belligerent and chances are he'll throw the book at you.

*sigh*

I miss my park ranger badge. I used to keep it in my wallet, easily seen when I opened it.

I never got a ticket back in those days....my 'faster' days. lol
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    *sigh*

I miss my park ranger badge. I used to keep it in my wallet, easily seen when I opened it.

But did it get you any picnic baskets Yogi??!!

VIP Member
    This thread is pointless, it all comes down to "officer discretion", which has nothing to do with a CHP and never has...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    You might win the Lotto if you play a dollar. You won't if you don't.

If my CWFL has the slightest influence on a LEO to not issue me a ticket, I'm smart enough to listen to him and slow down. I don't need a fine to convince me.

And before one of you wiseguys say I shouldn't be speeding, I'm answering the OP's question--his hypothetical question. No one said I've been stopped, which I haven't in years.

Do you, as a "law-abiding" citizen, have a radar detector in your car? Why? To get you out of a ticket? Humm, sound like being a bit two-faced somehow.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I have been stopped 3 times (speeding) in the last 4 years. The first 2 (before I had my CHL, just got a warning. The last (after getting CHL) I got a ticket. So, in my experience, a CHL will NOT get you out of a ticket.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TX-JB View Post
    This thread is pointless, it all comes down to "officer discretion", which has nothing to do with a CHP and never has...
    Exactly, I know if you have a CCP before I turn on the lights, it certainly won't get you out of a ticket. You won't get a ticket every time either, it depends on you, and me, not what you show me.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    You're thinking about it all wrong. Flashing the CCW is stupid if you think that it's a get out of ticket free card. However, if you get pulled over because you didn't see the speed limit change and you inform as a courtesy, that CCW at least tells the officer that you are among the most law-abiding citizens in his state statistically. Add that to a polite attitude, honesty, and willingness to accept the ticket for the infraction without being a jerk about it and you probably stand a fairly decent chance of getting a warning.

So do I offer my CCW? YES. I don't really need to in AZ because it comes back to the officer on the screen that shows when he or she runs my registration, but it's a courtesy that is part of being respectful and polite.

All that said, I have not been pulled over since I got my CCW so I have no data to add to that part of the discussion.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    *sigh*

I've heard those CCW badges work just as well.

I wouldn't recommend flashing anything to get out of a ticket. It does depend on officer discretion, or as some police chiefs shudder at the thought, "attitude." Many officers, me included will more likely write a ticket to anyone obviously trying to impress us. I've written mayors, other officers (especially feds) and celebrities who are obviously trying to sleaze their way out. I'm not impressed with who you are, who you know, how important you think you are, or what kind of ID you have. Furthermore, some officers are very much opposed to "civilian" concealed carry and may treat you harshly simply because you are armed, under the concept of officer safety. Traffic officers and state police? Fuggitaboudit. They'd write their own mothers.

On the other hand...

On those times I stopped someone for a not-so-serious violation and during the conversation at the driver's window I learned the driver was a permit holder, the conversation usually became one of guns, ammo, shooting, etc., ending in a verbal warning.

Trust me, police officers will not be impressed that you carry concealed firearms and therefore should not receive a traffic citation.
    Mention it if required by law or out of courtesy, but I would not recommend trying to get out of anything.

Sui juris
    U.S. Navy Veteran '65-'69
    Retired Police Detective '71 - '01
    LEOSA Certified
    NRA Life Member / SAF Member
    U.S. Constitution (c) 1791, All Rights Reserved.

Since I do not make the decision whether or not to "award" myself a prize, it's a moot point, personally.

As to the other situations, personally, no, but that is hypothetical because I know of no situation firsthand in which that occurred.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links