Is It OK To Use Your CHP To Get Out Of A Ticket?

This is a discussion on Is It OK To Use Your CHP To Get Out Of A Ticket? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by archer51 From my experience, it doesn't matter what kind of credentials you have as to whether you get a ticket or not. ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Is It OK To Use Your CHP To Get Out Of A Ticket?

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    From my experience, it doesn't matter what kind of credentials you have as to whether you get a ticket or not. I've found in most cases it is how you interact with the LEO that will make a difference. Be civil and treat the LEO like you'd want to be treated and chances are, if he has any leeway in the matter, he'll cut you some slack. Be mouthy, disrespectful and belligerent and chances are he'll throw the book at you.
    Well said!

A traffic stop is stressful enough and it comes as a pleasant surprise when a driver is cooperative and respectful. If everything is in order, I'm more likely to a verbal as a courtesy.

But it also depends on the department's policy. There are some agencies that hand out tickets no matter what or who you are. In fact, the department that has jurisdiction where I live is like that, LEO or not. They actually brag about the number of tickets they issue to LEOs of other agencies. The state troopers in my area are the same. So much for the myth of the so-called brotherhood in blue.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    If an LEO gives you or anyone a pass for an obvious infraction, they ought to be fired--period--end of story. Sorry guys, I have no respect for any of you who find this a great idea.

I inform so I won't get shot digging for my wallet. Not for a free pass.
    Not to make the officer feel "at ease" either.
    Semper Fi

I am on a motorcycle 9 out of 10 times I get stopped. I "flash" mine just so everyone is on the same page. Has it ever gotten me out of a ticket? I'm not sure, but there are times I have not gotten a ticket. I'm not sure what the reasoning was. I carry IWB at 5 o'clock. My wallet is DIRECTLY under my gun and I don't want the cop to catch a glimpse and flip out. No point in getting shot or being face planted when it would have been SO much easier to pull out my CCW
    Freedom itself was attacked this morning by a faceless coward, and freedom will be defended

I think NO!

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    For me, it is a courtesy to the officer to let him know. If he chooses not to give me a ticket, that is up to him. I would consider it in the same line of thinking as being polite and respectfull. Don't expect it to get you out of trouble, but if it does, then great. If not, accept the consequences of whatever you were stopped for.
    Walk softly ...

If I get stopped for speeding, I'm gonna get a ticket. I have a radar detector in my truck.

That being said, my expectations are to be treated with respect, fairly and professionally. I will return the favor. If I am knowingly breaking the law, I can see no reason why I should be shown any undue consideration other than the above. For every choice, there are consequences; some good and some not so good.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    Is It OK To Use Your CHP To Get Out Of A Ticket?

One of the most common themes I see in all these ‘LEO Encounter” threads is the idea that the OP didn’t get a ticket because he flashed his CHP. I’m curious what the groupthink here is on that. If it’s OK for me to flash a CHP (as if) to get out of a ticket is it OK for a cop to flash his badge for the same reason? How about a dirt bag that hides behind a family member’s badge to get out of traffic tickets?

(IMO) Unless a cop is on police business that requires him to violate traffic laws he should be subject to the same law as the rest of us. Likewise a CHP holder or a family member should be held to the same standard. Actually, since many here feel that we’re “a cut above” (where’s is that puking smiley when you need it?) shouldn’t we be held to a higher standard?

So what do you think?

I don't believe what I hold or what type of badge I carry gives me any special privilege and I'll take my lumps with everyone else. It's called integrity and unfortunately it seems to be lacking in our society now a days.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

I don't really think my showing a CCW permit is going to do much deciding on whether or not I get a ticket, but rather if the LEO stopping me got a 'kiss' from his wife as he left for work that morning.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    If I get pulled over I don't flash anything. In MI disclosure is required, and if if it weren't I would disclose out of respect. Being honest never hurts either.
    The last time I was stopped, was a few years before I got my CPL. I had been visiting a friend and heading home just before 10:00. Not much traffic, nice warm evening, the Mustang was running great and I decided to "exercise" it a bit, OK well a lot. I stopped at the traffic light, waited and stomped on it hard, dumping the clutch at about 3,000, and went through first and second gears hard and fast. And that's when I saw the flashing lights. I backed off quick and pulled over on a side street, shut it down, turned on the dome light and waited.
    The officer walked up and said" I suppose you have a real good excuse for all that, and an interesting story, let me hear it".
    I gave him the pure unvarnished truth, I let my good sense go right out the window and just drove it the way I built it to be driven. I told him I knew better and just gave in to temptation.
    He literally started laughing, and told me he has never stopped a more truthful person, and since I knew better, he would let me go with a warning.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

MoHawk said I carry IWB at 5 o'clock. My wallet is DIRECTLY under my gun and I don't want the cop to catch a glimpse and flip out. No point in getting shot or being face planted when it would have been SO much easier to pull out my CCW
    That's a damn good reason to inform

Gaurdian said I don't believe what I hold or what type of badge I carry gives me any special privilege and I'll take my lumps with everyone else.
    QFT

What Archer51 said......

I know as certain as one can know, without being told so, that I have on numerous occasions been 'cut slack' when I was eligible for a citation, because of my respectful, 'yes sir', 'no sir', attitude, even to officers many years younger than myself.

The latest episode was when my 'bike' throttle hand got a sudden nervous twitch coming onto an interstate highway. I try always to 'flash' my 'upbringing' credentials.

I would not even consider 'flashing' the permit.
    Extremism in the Defense of Liberty is No Vice--Moderation in the Pursuit of Justice is No Virtue. - Senator Barry Goldwater

Anything you can do to get out of a ticket is fine with me.
    That said, I have been driving for a living for a lot of years & been stopped more times then I can remember. (Old age helps with not remembering things) The vast majority of times I have been given warnings. The only time I can remember being stopped since I got my permit, I did disclose (it's the law here in MI) and I did get a ticket.
    I was speeding, that is against the law, I deserved the ticket. Under the circumstances that it happened, I don't believe I endangered anyones life, but I did break the law.

I don't see where showing your CPL, (even if not required) is any different than calling the officer "Sir" or Mama".

Imagine these two scenarios (assume you are not a CPL holder and are not armed;

1. The officer approaches your car, you keep your hands at 10 and 2 and ask "Yes officer, did I do something wrong?"

2. The officer approaches your car and while your digging through your glove box you ask him "What the **** is your problem, did the doughnut shop run out of creme filled? Don't you know I have better things to do than talk to an ******* like you."

Both well within your rights, and more than likely have happened;
    Which is least likely to get you a ticket?

Quote Originally Posted by MoHawk View Post
    I am on a motorcycle 9 out of 10 times I get stopped. I "flash" mine just so everyone is on the same page. Has it ever gotten me out of a ticket? I'm not sure, but there are times I have not gotten a ticket. I'm not sure what the reasoning was. I carry IWB at 5 o'clock. My wallet is DIRECTLY under my gun and I don't want the cop to catch a glimpse and flip out. No point in getting shot or being face planted when it would have been SO much easier to pull out my CCW
    This is why I stopped carrying my wallet in my back pocket when I got my CPL. I now have a creditcard case/ money clip in my left front pocket.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links