Is It OK To Use Your CHP To Get Out Of A Ticket?

This is a discussion on Is It OK To Use Your CHP To Get Out Of A Ticket? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Rugergirl If I get pulled over I don't flash anything. Too bad. I'm betting you might be able to get out of ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Is It OK To Use Your CHP To Get Out Of A Ticket?

Quote Originally Posted by Rugergirl View Post
    If I get pulled over I don't flash anything.
    Too bad. I'm betting you might be able to get out of a lot of tickets otherwise.

I've been very fortunate over the years to have not gotten what I deserved in the way of "driving awards" as we call them. These were all before my CC permit. It boiled down to the interaction with the LEO, doing everything to make his job easier, and being brutally honest. They can see BS in a heartbeat given the folks that they deal with on a daily basis. Be respectful and courteous and they may give you what you deserve or they may give you a break. It's completely up to them and I'm cool with it either way.

PS. If I thought it would help, I'd probably toss it out there. VA you don't have to inform, but I would out of courtesy and precaution. If it influences the other, then that's just icing on the cake.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

2. Remove Ads

its been said, but here in michigan you're required to show an LEO your permit
    which may lead to conversation, which may lead to you getting off easy
    -Jim

i have serious doubts that "flashing" your license to carry will get you out of any ticket, whether you deserve the ticket or not. anyone who thinks that probably carries one of those "concealed carry badges", too.

Most cops have already made up their mind if they are going to issue a ticket on the violation and mitigating circumstances,how far over speed limit,weaving in and out of traffic,blowing stop sign in a high accident area,It would take something extraordinary to change an officers mind,and the fact you can legally carry a gun ain't it
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    Is It OK To Use Your CHP To Get Out Of A Ticket?

One of the most common themes I see in all these ‘LEO Encounter” threads is the idea that the OP didn’t get a ticket because he flashed his CHP. I’m curious what the groupthink here is on that. If it’s OK for me to flash a CHP (as if) to get out of a ticket is it OK for a cop to flash his badge for the same reason? How about a dirt bag that hides behind a family member’s badge to get out of traffic tickets?

(IMO) Unless a cop is on police business that requires him to violate traffic laws he should be subject to the same law as the rest of us. Likewise a CHP holder or a family member should be held to the same standard. Actually, since many here feel that we’re “a cut above” (where’s is that puking smiley when you need it?) shouldn’t we be held to a higher standard?

So what do you think?
    Try flashing your CHP Badge at a cop...see how far that gets ya...

No it leaves the impression you are impersonating an officer and it wont bode over well with the officer tending to you. Now if you are tinning your CHP for a favor then you deserved to get flamed.
    One more step and it's on!

Administrator
    I stopped hundreds if not thousands of motorists, and have been flashed everything from boobs to badges. Dorks that try to impress or intimidate get invites to do the same at the court house. Honest, upstanding citizens usually get a "watch your speed and have a good night".

It makes no difference what you have or who you think you are, I use discretion and look at the totality of the situation. Making a judgment call at the time of incident is what I'm paid to do.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by BAGMAN View Post
    I seriously doubt that showing your card would make any difference to a LEO.
    Agreeded! I prefer to inform the officer I am a permit holder and armed. With my hands at 10 & 2 on the stearing wheel I will ask what to do from there. What the officer decides to do from that point is up to them! However, if I fight the ticket, in a court of law the judge will know that I was not hiding ANYTHING!
    If Guns kill people then all of mine are defective!
    My idea of gun control is using BOTH hands!

Permits in: ND (resident), CT, UT, FL, AZ & MN
    North Dakota Concealed Carry Instructor
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    I think I have to "flash" my CHP to the officer regardless of intention...but that's just Ohio law.

Most states you HAVE to show your CHP.
    That's the way it is in my neck of the woods....or used to be. I still consider my DL and CHL as one single form of ID. I've never "used" nor intended for my CHL to get me "out" of anything, but more often than not, it has let me go on my way unscathed. This is not to say I expect similar treatment in the future, nor would I test any limitations for any false sense of security that might come from past experiences. Besides......I have little idea how circumstances would work out differently if I had no CHL in these instances now. It just is what it is.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Hey Guardian: Thank you for an excellent reply. Agree 100%. If an LEO wants respect he has got to earn it and that means obeying the same rules and laws as the rest of us. Goes for any CCWPers, want respect?--obey the law and don't go down the road of entitlement with your permit. I'm tired of hearing about entitlements anyway with what is going on in DC. Just had a case in SC with an LEO finally pulled over for speeding, evading etc. She had to be restrained, put to ground and handcuffed because she became abusive, pulling the "do you know who I am and, by the way, my Lt. husband in your police dept will take an interest in this, and I always give other LEOs a "break" garbage. She finally has been fired after a bit of a delay, which makes the whole issue stink even more since it was all on video and audio, particularly since she was not arrested on the spot and just got to go home pending investigation.

Originally Posted by razor02097

Most states you HAVE to show your CHP.
    That is incorrect. Only 9 require that you inform:

Alaska, Arkansas, Louisiana, Nebraska, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Carolina and Texas.

Handgunlaw.us
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Hey Guardian: Thank you for an excellent reply. Agree 100%. If an LEO wants respect he has got to earn it and that means obeying the same rules and laws as the rest of us. Goes for any CCWPers, want respect?--obey the law and don't go down the road of entitlement with your permit. I'm tired of hearing about entitlements anyway with what is going on in DC. Just had a case in SC with an LEO finally pulled over for speeding, evading etc. She had to be restrained, put to ground and handcuffed because she became abusive, pulling the "do you know who I am and, by the way, my Lt. husband in your police dept will take an interest in this, and I always give other LEOs a "break" garbage. She finally has been fired after a bit of a delay, which makes the whole issue stink even more since it was all on video and audio, particularly since she was not arrested on the spot and just got to go home pending investigation.

Thank you my friend. I'm glad that they took care of that situation.

Sixto - Exactly, integrity all the way my friend.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    That is incorrect. Only 9 require that you inform:

Alaska, Arkansas, Louisiana, Nebraska, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Carolina and Texas.

Handgunlaw.us
    you need to add Michigan to the list, at least if you are armed.

"Okay"? "Using" the CHL to get out of being ticketed?

Seems to me the choice isn't in our hands. Our aberrant behavior is what it is. Being ticketed for that shouldn't have anything to do with some alternate form of identification. From the point of view of an officer, it shouldn't be any more than that.

Okay to attempt to curry favor, in some way, because one has a CHL? I'd say that this would make many of the claims against us true, if one were to stoop to such a thing. Plus, the "C" in CHL means "concealed." It's not a threat. It's staying where it is. If the officer and I engage outside the car, that's something else but, for a run-of-the-mill stop, I see no real need to display it. But that's just me. YMMV.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    That's actually not true there are 48 states that have some type of "Right To Carry' Legislation and only 8 require notification and one (Texas) provides no penalty for non compliance.

In fact the minority of states require you to inform
    That's correct. We do not have to inform here in NY.

My opinion hinges on the stop. If I'm being stopped for speeding or some other traffic violation, there is absolutely no reason for me to introduce a weapon into the scenario. An LEO's job is nerve racking enough at that point, and I'll keep the "situations" to a minimum, be very polite and respectful, take my ticket and be on my way. Never would I "flash" my license like it's going to do something for me. No one needs to know about it.

However, if I've done something really stupid and am being asked to get out of my vehicle by an LEO, you bet your sweet A$$ I'm going to let him know I'm wearing a firearm BEFORE I get out.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links