Is It OK To Use Your CHP To Get Out Of A Ticket?

This is a discussion on Is It OK To Use Your CHP To Get Out Of A Ticket? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Treo That's actually not true there are 48 states that have some type of "Right To Carry' Legislation and only 8 require ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Is It OK To Use Your CHP To Get Out Of A Ticket?

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    That's actually not true there are 48 states that have some type of "Right To Carry' Legislation and only 8 require notification and one (Texas) provides no penalty for non compliance.

In fact the minority of states require you to inform

Then you should be ticketed
    Really? Have you ever jaywalked? How about parked in a handicapped momentarily while your wife hopped out? Or spit your gum out the window? Maybe you have smoked before it was legal for you to do so...or drank?...

None of us can uphold the law perfectly...are you implying that we should all be "ticketed" each and every time we were wrong? My CPL has aided me during traffic stops and I am not ashamed about it at all (of course here in Michigan we MUST show it if stopped), I have been told "well I see you are a good guy, so I will not give you a R&R"...and things like that.

Sorry, perhaps I am the only one who breaks the law from time to time...although I most certainly do not intend to or set out to do so.
    Pray for our nations leaders!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    When I was a young and dumb LEO I got pulled over a few times so I would simply flash my badge. It didn't always work and it wasn't the right thing to do. Today, I remain mixed as to disclosing my permit when not required, although I haven't been pulled over in nearly 25-years. "In youth we learn, in age we understand"
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

If it helps, it helps, if it doesnt, it doesnt. I try to behave, but I am human and want to have some fun (nothing really bad, just donuts in parking lots with the kids). Let the chips fall were they fall.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Nope. The only ethical means for avoiding traffic citations are boobs and tears. If you don't have the one and can't muster up the other, and the officer wants to reward your responsible citizenship (as evidenced by your CCW) you must - in good conscience - refuse. Respectfully insist that he or she write you a full summons.

Seriously, I've spoken with several friends in LE and while it is not a requirement for me to disclose CCW status (Missouri) they all agree that they like to hear it first from the driver on a traffic stop so that's my policy. I've only been pulled over a few times since CCW has been legal and so far disclosure hasn't saved me from getting a ticket, but if the officer were so inclined; by gumminy, I'd take it.

Now, flopping a CCW badge out there like you thought it was a secret "get out of a ticket" handshake - well, that's not likely to play out well.

Joe

I don't think flashing a CCW automatically guarentee's anyone a free ride from any type of ticket! That's up to the LEO's disgression and I doubt if it's determined by the fact that the individual is carrying a CCW permit! More so by exactly what the circumstance's are and how you act!

Really? Have you ever jaywalked? How about parked in a handicapped momentarily while your wife hopped out? Or spit your gum out the window? Maybe you have smoked before it was legal for you to do so...or drank?...

None of us can uphold the law perfectly...are you implying that we should all be "ticketed" each and every time we were wrong? My CPL has aided me during traffic stops and I am not ashamed about it at all (of course here in Michigan we MUST show it if stopped), I have been told "well I see you are a good guy, so I will not give you a R&R"...and things like that.

Sorry, perhaps I am the only one who breaks the law from time to time...although I most certainly do not intend to or set out to do so.
    I've done all of the above. Doesn't change the fact that they are illegal and in no case would I use my CHP to get out of my punishment for any of the above

However, if I've done something really stupid and am being asked to get out of my vehicle by an LEO, you bet your sweet A$$ I'm going to let him know I'm wearing a firearm BEFORE I get out.
    I agree 100%

Quote Originally Posted by drjavelina View Post
    In Texas we are required to give our CHL to the leo when we are stopped.
    Texas has repealed that requirement. However, I will display my CHL because of (i) habit, and (ii) to let the LEO know that he is not he is not dealing with some bad guy. That being said, I do not expect any special treatment.
    Live every day so that you can, with a clear conscience, look all men in their eyes and tell them to go to hell.

Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    you need to add Michigan to the list, at least if you are armed.
    You are right. Somehow I forgot Michigan when I checked handgunlaw.us.

Sorry for the omission.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by cwblanco View Post
    Texas has repealed that requirement. However, I will display my CHL because of (i) habit, and (ii) to let the LEO know that he is not he is not dealing with some bad guy. That being said, I do not expect any special treatment.
    I believe you are confused about what changed. You are still required to notify, but the criminal penalty for not doing so has been repealed.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

I want no contact with the police.

That's why I don't speed or drive drunk.

Speeding or driving drunk, THEN rendering imaginary "courtesies" isn't "no contact". I'd rather get some place sober, five minutes later rather than do things which the law does not require me to do in an arrogant attempt to escape the consequences of my own actions.

VIP Member
    Follow the law; if it happens to do you a favor, take it.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    if i thought it would help i would present my passport and birth certificate...i dont really care how you get out of a ticket as long as its legal...more power to you...

Quote Originally Posted by raytracer View Post
    Nope. The only ethical means for avoiding traffic citations are boobs and tears.
    LOL

What if you get a female cop? No outs at all? Big biceps?
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

What if you get a female cop?
    Hope she's a lesbian

Hah, friend of mine is a State Trooper here in Texas and just for grins I asked him if having a CHL would make it less likely for me to get a ticket.....his response......."CHL holders get tickets just like everyone else".....haha
    Yep, I'm a Male Nurse.....Focker

Kimber Ultra CDP II
    Beretta PX4 9mm
    Ruger LCP
    FN Herstal PBR .308

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links