Is It OK To Use Your CHP To Get Out Of A Ticket?

This is a discussion on Is It OK To Use Your CHP To Get Out Of A Ticket? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Is It OK To Use Your CHP To Get Out Of A Ticket? One of the most common themes I see in all these ‘LEO ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is It OK To Use Your CHP To Get Out Of A Ticket?

One of the most common themes I see in all these ‘LEO Encounter” threads is the idea that the OP didn’t get a ticket because he flashed his CHP. I’m curious what the groupthink here is on that. If it’s OK for me to flash a CHP (as if) to get out of a ticket is it OK for a cop to flash his badge for the same reason? How about a dirt bag that hides behind a family member’s badge to get out of traffic tickets?

(IMO) Unless a cop is on police business that requires him to violate traffic laws he should be subject to the same law as the rest of us. Likewise a CHP holder or a family member should be held to the same standard. Actually, since many here feel that we’re “a cut above” (where’s is that puking smiley when you need it?) shouldn’t we be held to a higher standard?

So what do you think?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    I think I have to "flash" my CHP to the officer regardless of intention...but that's just Ohio law.

Most states you HAVE to show your CHP.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Although I don't have to show my CWFL to a LEO here in FL., if it will get me out of a ticket, I will. It's not like I'm some scumbag; I was probably just going too fast.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

In Texas we are required to give our CHL to the leo when we are stopped.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Razor 0297 said Most states you HAVE to show your CHP.
    That's actually not true there are 48 states that have some type of "Right To Carry' Legislation and only 8 require notification and one (Texas) provides no penalty for non compliance.

In fact the minority of states require you to inform

Oldvet said I was probably just going too fast.
    Then you should be ticketed

Quote Originally Posted by drjavelina View Post
    In Texas we are required to give our CHL to the leo when we are stopped.
    And in Michigan

I think the use of the word "flash" connotes a scenario in which someone would think that a quick glimpse of the CCW would change the outcome of the stop. I think it's more along the lines of it's required in some states to reveal that you have a firearm on you and in the states that it's not, many feel it's a courtesy to the officer that initiated the stop. If he/she decides to take it into consideration in giving a warning rather than a citation...then so be it.

One of the most common themes I see in all these ‘LEO Encounter” threads is the idea that the OP didn’t get a ticket because he flashed his CHP.
    I think it's a ridiculous notion. The carry permit is not a "get out of jail free card" and no cop I'm acquainted with thinks so either. If you break the law and get caught better count on paying your fine.

I certainly hope this doesn't get into a ******* contest about whether or not LEO's, CHL holders or other purposely do stuff because they think they can get away with it.

As far as using your CHL to get out of a ticket, I just don't buy that. In TX you are required (new law in Sept 09 may remove penalty, but doesn't change the law) to show your DL and CHL when official contact is made with a sworn peace officer while your carrying a concealed weapon. So, I do just that, and even if it wasn't the law I probably would anyway.

I don't do it with any hopes that I will get out of a ticket or whatever, I do it out of courtesy for the officer. That lets him know right away that I have a gun and a license for concealed carry. If they choose not to give me a ticket fine. If they give me a ticket, well I probably did something that warranted it.

Knocking on my desk, it is wood, I have not been pulled over for a moving violation or any other infraction while in a vehicle in almost 20 years. I hope to keep it that way.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

While I realize that Treo has alot of negative preconceived opinions of police interactions and will be drawing some interesting conclusions here.....

Why would anyone think that having a CPL (in my state) would get them out of a ticket?
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    No. But, I made up my mind, before getting my CCL, to ALWAYS inform, if stopped.
    "Leave the gun. Take the cannolis."
    NRA Member
    SIG SAUER P220 Elite Stainless & P238
    Glock 23
    S&W 431PD

You are just exercising your 2nd Amendment rights. A right that just about anyone except felons (& mentally disqualified) can exercise if they so choose.

If you look at it another way, there are plenty of ways you could 'exercise' your First Amendment rights in a traffic stop and easily land yourself in jail.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Flashing CHP

I seriously doubt that showing your card would make any difference to a LEO.
    "Leave the gun. Take the cannoli" Clemenza

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    While I realize that Treo has alot of negative preconceived opinions of police interactions and will be drawing some interesting conclusions here.....

Why would anyone think that having a CPL (in my state) would get them out of a ticket?
    exactly right cause in reality it doesn't... its usually up to the LEO to ticket them or not. there is no rule that says we CHP holders are immune to the traffic laws.

Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    I think I have to "flash" my CHP to the officer regardless of intention...but that's just Ohio law.

Most states you HAVE to show your CHP.
    In Ohio, only if you have a firearm on your person or in the vehicle at the time of the stop. If you don't, you don't have to notify. However, if you are driving a vehicle registered in your name, and the LEO has a mobile computer terminal in his squad, the fact that you have a permit will flag. If he runs your plate through radio dispatch, that fact will also flag, and the dispatcher will normally inform him/her. Once your DL is run, your permit is flagged as well.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links