What does it mean if a state is called "shall issue" - Page 2

What does it mean if a state is called "shall issue"

This is a discussion on What does it mean if a state is called "shall issue" within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by JD It means as long as you meet the requirements, you get issued a permit when you apply. I think the emphasis ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What does it mean if a state is called "shall issue"

Originally Posted by JD
    It means as long as you meet the requirements, you get issued a permit when you apply.
    I think the emphasis is a little different more like Unless you don't meet the requirements the must isssue you a permit and if you're turned down it has to be for a specific reason.

IOW the burden of proof is on the State to show that you shouldn't be allowed to carry rather than being on you to prove you should

What does it mean if a state is called "shall issue"
    Pax has explained it well in post #8. A system of "May Issue" is based in racism, favoritism and basic predjudice as permits are issued at the pleasure of an official, generally the presiding Sheriff. "Shall Issue", on the other hand requires that anyone who applies, pays the required fees, passes a backbround check, completes any required training and basically meets all requirements must be issued the license.

Quote Originally Posted by reyno2ac View Post
    As I understand it the requirements are usually just a clean record, not a performance test. That's the way it is in michigan. You take the class, apply for your CPL (concealed pistol license), wait anywhere from 1-8 weeks and they mail it to you.

Well... In the required class in MI you have to "qualify" with a handgun. Show you can hit a target. And pass a written test showing a basic knowledge of the laws. Background check, fingerprint, pay fees........ THEN some counties still make you appear before "The Board" to get your permit. BUT... They MUST issue you the permit unless they can prove you don't qualify.

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    It means as long as you meet the requirements, you get issued a permit when you apply.
    That is it!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Quote Originally Posted by Leader View Post
    Well... In the required class in MI you have to "qualify" with a handgun. Show you can hit a target. And pass a written test showing a basic knowledge of the laws. Background check, fingerprint, pay fees........ THEN some counties still make you appear before "The Board" to get your permit. BUT... They MUST issue you the permit unless they can prove you don't qualify.
    +1 thanks for posting the correct info on MI.

Treo
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JD
    I think the emphasis is a little different more like Unless you don't meet the requirements the must isssue you a permit and if you're turned down it has to be for a specific reason.

IOW the burden of proof is on the State to show that you shouldn't be allowed to carry rather than being on you to prove you should

Treo, I think your splitting Hairs on this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post

This one nailed it........

In PA, you fill out the app, they take a pic and if your record is clean...you'll get it in 3-4 weeks or sooner delivered by the good ole USPO.
    Regards,
    Shane Stagg
    Coopersburg, PA
    NRA Lifetime Member
    USCCA Member
    NAFC Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shanester66 View Post
    In PA, you fill out the app, they take a pic and if your record is clean...you'll get it in 3-4 weeks or sooner delivered by the good ole USPO.
    Depends where you are. The law allows issuing authorities 45 days from submission of an application to issue, or deny. A lot of counties will issue on the spot. Some take a few days. Some take several weeks. Some take longer than the law allows.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post

Everyone repeat after me...

IF YOU MEET THE REQUIREMENTS YOU WON'T BE TURNED DOWN IN A SHALL ISSUE STATE.

"Requirements" = background check (this includes mental issues etc), training class, live fire, applying on day ending in "Y"... whatever the state requires.

If they turn you down, it's because YOU DON'T MEET THE REQUIREMENTS.

I honestly can't remember what it took the first time I was issued a LTCF in PA. I was 21 at the time, and both of the referrences I gave were city police officers who were close friends of mine. I've had mine for nearly 37 yrs now. PA is a "shall issue" state.
    I know that last time that I renewed my LTCF it took an entire 5 min of my time. Including the photo and the PICS check (PA State Police Database.) My new LTCF was handed to me before I left the Sheriffs Office. It took me longer to find a parking spot near the Sheriffs Dept., than it did to get my renewal.
    Even though PA doesn't have any class or shooting requirements, back in the 90's I was working as a PI and needed to be both bonded and also have Lethal Weapons Act 235 Certification. Since that was given by a LEO academy, and took an entire week including classroom and range time, and was under the auspices of the PA State Police, I believe I would be eligable based on that to get a permit in any state that required some type of training. (Of course I mean if I were living there.)
    Good luck and always stay safe.
    USCCA/DEFENSIVE HANDGUNS
    GSSA/NRA
    DEFENSIVE CARRY
    GLOCK TALK
    PAFOA/American Gun Owners

Some states make 'shall issue' to mean that you'll have your permit in a week or two...others make shall issue to mean that in six to nine months they'll give you the permit that they HAVE to issue.
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; January 31st, 2010 at 07:51 PM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links