Michigan CPL 3rd renewal.

This is a discussion on Michigan CPL 3rd renewal. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm on my third renewal. The first was for 3 years and 5 for the second which expires in March, 2010. I went through all ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Michigan CPL 3rd renewal.

Michigan CPL 3rd renewal.

I'm on my third renewal. The first was for 3 years and 5 for the second which expires in March, 2010. I went through all of the required BS ( $105 + re-fingerprinted etc...). I received a letter indicating that NOW I have to go in front of the Gun Board for approval. I think that it may be because I have moved to a different county that the original issue. Has anyone else had to go in front of the gun board again for a renewal??? Am I missing something? will they ambush me with goofy questions etc...? Thanks,
    Last edited by Mitosis; January 27th, 2010 at 11:09 AM. Reason: spell check
    S&W M&P 340, S&W 4" 629. Glock 30 SF.

2. Remove Ads

Its likely that the reason is because of the move. Just be honest when you are questioned. Remember michigan is a shall issue state. You would have had to do something wrong for them not to renew. Just be confident, youll be fine.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Had to go in for first CPL but rernewals don't have to in Livingston County.
    No trick questions at any gun board that I have heard about, don't worry about it.
    This one will cost full price but expire on your birthday in 2014 (unless your BD is in Jan or Feb).
    Enjoy ...:)

VIP Member
    Depends on your county. Mine (Eaton) used to require a Gun Board interview prior to early last year. What questions will they ask? Depends on who is on the board. Just keep it honest and don't offer extra details. Keep your answers simple and to the point.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    I had to appear before the Macomb County board for mine(new applicant), but from what I understand most folks usually don't have to go before the board the second time.
    What county are you in?
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

what exactly is a gun board? You mean to tell me you have to be evaluated by people in person who will tell you weather THEY think your fit to protect yourself or weather not they like you? that's ******* crazy, I used to like Michigan...
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

I live in Saginaw county and I had to go to the gun board. All they asked is if I knew where could carry and not.I was in there two minutes tops it took longer to verify who I was to them than anything.

The gun board review that I went to (new CPL) in Michigan consisted of all 20 some applicants stand up at the same time, "Repeat after me" swearing that we were who we said we were, and that we were eligible to recieve a CPL. There where not any questions asked, from what I recall.

Don't sweat this.

For the person that asked, CPL's in Michigan are "Approved by a board made up of the sherrif dept. State police and DA's office. I think there may be one "citizen" apointee also.

I think be default the board members are all Pro Carry, so it's usually not a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    The gun board review that I went to (new CPL) in Michigan consisted of all 20 some applicants stand up at the same time, "Repeat after me" swearing that we were who we said we were, and that we were eligible to recieve a CPL. There where not any questions asked, from what I recall.

Don't sweat this.

For the person that asked, CPL's in Michigan are "Approved by a board made up of the sherrif dept. State police and DA's office. I think there may be one "citizen" apointee also.

I think be default the board members are all Pro Carry, so it's usually not a problem.
    If you meet all of the states qualifications the gun board cant say much, If anything, I think the gun board is more of a paper pushing arm than a decision making arm. Sometimes they like to double check things to feel more important than they are.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

GUN BOARD???? You have got to be kidding. Does MI have a knife board too? Or maybe a scissors board. Those are more dangerous than guns IMO. Gun board, that's rich.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinetic View Post
    GUN BOARD???? You have got to be kidding.
    A group of politicians who get to play God for about 15 minutes.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    A group of politicians who get to play God for about 15 minutes.
    Figures. It just sounds lame, like mayonnaise board or something.

Lead Moderator
    In my county we have a board (even for renewal ) but it is a short , easy procedure of law review .
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    If you meet all of the states qualifications the gun board cant say much, If anything, I think the gun board is more of a paper pushing arm than a decision making arm. Sometimes they like to double check things to feel more important than they are.
    It is just another hurdle they put in the way, fortunately my county did not require me to go before the board for renewal.
    Eric

EM1(SS) Retired

For freedom is never free someone else just picks up tab.

Kimber Custom II
    Kimber Eclips Pro II
    Marlin Camp Rifle .45acp

A 9mm may expand but a .45acp won't shrink

Remember there are only two types of Ships in the Navy, SUBMARINES and Targets!

Have never had to go before the board for any renewals, only the first issue. This is in Bay County. It's a throwback to the "old" system before the "shall issue"
    We the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much, with so little, for so long, we are now able to do anything with nothing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links