Silent Thunder by Garrett

This is a discussion on Silent Thunder by Garrett within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone have this. Looks like a nice tuckable, good quality etc.. Any opinions on it? Also looks the same as the one by Tucker with ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silent Thunder by Garrett

Silent Thunder by Garrett

Anyone have this. Looks like a nice tuckable, good quality etc.. Any opinions on it? Also looks the same as the one by Tucker with the same name. Looking to carry a M&P 9C with it. Usually wearing shorts and polo shirt tucked in. Live in South Florida. Hopefully that is enough info for some advice.
    Thanks

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I'll have to check it out. I too live in the south FL sauna, although I rarely tuck a shirt in (a lifelong habit).

I have a ProCarry LT from the Holster Store and am pleased with it so far. Can't tuck with it, and I would like that option on the rare occasions I might.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Hey Vet, where in FL are you? I am near West Palm Beach. Here is a link to get a better look at the holster. Tucker has one as well and that is where these pics are from. I think Tucker and Garrett made it together but now they both make one with the same name.
    The M-1911 Pistols Organization E-zine

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Port St. Lucie, right up the street. I usually go to the range at Sebastion to shoot. Don't care for indoor ranges around here.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I have a Tucker Silent Thunder IWB for my Glock 26 that I bought from Tucker Gunleather about two months ago. Interestingly, the holster has "Garrett Industries" stamped on the inside. I've wondered who, so I'm glad I've found out about the joint effort now.

I've been very pleased with the holster. However, I haven't been carrying long, so I don't have a lot of basis for comparison. The holster is very well made. Before I bought it, I was worried about how secure it would be with a single contact point, but that hasn't been a problem at all. It even stayed put when I had to shovel snow (which is only very rarely necessary here and probably never necessary in FL). They rigidity of the kydex keeps the holster open after drawing the gun, so reholstering is very easy. Holster tension is easily adjustable and, as advertised, drawing the gun from the holster is very quiet.

If I had to pick out something to complain about, I'd say that they should have used a slightly larger groove for the front site. The groove on my holster seems to be a little bit off center, so the front sight on my gun has almost dug through the leather near the spot where the sight comes to rest when the gun is holstered.

All in all, I'm very pleased with my purchase and I wouldn't hesitate to make the same decision again.

Edit: I forgot to mention that it does tuck well for me, but I usually carry with shirt tail out.
    Last edited by pangloss9; January 27th, 2010 at 07:20 PM. Reason: forgot to mention something

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I'll have to check it out. I too live in the south FL sauna, although I rarely tuck a shirt in (a lifelong habit).

I have a ProCarry LT from the Holster Store and am pleased with it so far. Can't tuck with it, and I would like that option on the rare occasions I might.
    I know what you mean, I live in south FL sauna too. I have been looking at that holster for a while now. I like that the idea of having a kydex holster lined with leather. I discovered that my CC firearms are getting what I believe is surface rust, and I think that it is because of the body perspiration and the humidity in this place. Hopefully this holster will help.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by pangloss9 View Post
    I have a Tucker Silent Thunder IWB for my Glock 26 that I bought from Tucker Gunleather about two months ago. Interestingly, the holster has "Garrett Industries" stamped on the inside. I've wondered who, so I'm glad I've found out about the joint effort now.

I've been very pleased with the holster. However, I haven't been carrying long, so I don't have a lot of basis for comparison. The holster is very well made. Before I bought it, I was worried about how secure it would be with a single contact point, but that hasn't been a problem at all. It even stayed put when I had to shovel snow (which is only very rarely necessary here and probably never necessary in FL). They rigidity of the kydex keeps the holster open after drawing the gun, so reholstering is very easy. Holster tension is easily adjustable and, as advertised, drawing the gun from the holster is very quiet.

If I had to pick out something to complain about, I'd say that they should have used a slightly larger groove for the front site. The groove on my holster seems to be a little bit off center, so the front sight on my gun has almost dug through the leather near the spot where the sight comes to rest when the gun is holstered.

All in all, I'm very pleased with my purchase and I wouldn't hesitate to make the same decision again.

Edit: I forgot to mention that it does tuck well for me, but I usually carry with shirt tail out.

I have been looking for one of those for a while now. Can please tell how rigid the holster is? Does it “squeeze” together after unholsteriing and for that reason it is a pain to reholster, or does it keep the form and therefore it is easy to reholster?

Hey Vet, holy crap. What a small world. I work in Vero so I go right through PSL everyday. One of the guys that I work with lives in Sebastian and goes to the range I think you are talking about. I think it is the Indian River range or something like that. My wife and I have never been to an outdoor range so we would like to go there one day and check it out.

Hey GM, ok, where in FL are you? Anywhere near me and Vet?

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by jumeda33 View Post
    Hey GM, ok, where in FL are you? Anywhere near me and Vet?
    I am in Fort Lauderdale. Not so far away from you I guess, but I do not have a clue where Port St. Lucie is, I moved down to this sauna for not so long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    I have been looking for one of those for a while now. Can please tell how rigid the holster is? Does it “squeeze” together after unholsteriing and for that reason it is a pain to reholster, or does it keep the form and therefore it is easy to reholster?
    GM, the holster is rigid and keeps its form after the pistol is drawn. Before I had this holster, I tried a belly band. That's when I discovered how much I wanted a holster that made it easy to put the gun away. If you get this holster, you definitely won't have to worry with it squeezing together when the pistol is out.

GM
    GM, the holster is rigid and keeps its form after the pistol is drawn. Before I had this holster, I tried a belly band. That's when I discovered how much I wanted a holster that made it easy to put the gun away. If you get this holster, you definitely won't have to worry with it squeezing together when the pistol is out.
    Thanks a lot for the info; that is exactly I wanted to hear

I received my Silent Thunder for my 1911 from Tucker about two weeks ago. Wow! What a great holster. The kydex and leather are quite thin, so IWB is not an issue. The leather makes for a smooth quiet draw and still holds the gun snug. The kydex is very strong and retains its form without the slightest hint of collapsing. The clip adjustment for cant is great and allows the user to set the holster for just the perfect ride. It is tuckable, but I haven't worn it with a tucked shirt.

Delivery was three weeks from day or order, but that included the Christmas and New Years holidays.

I haven't had a long time to wear it, but I love it. Up until now I've not been a fan of IWB wear. This holster turned me. I can actually wear this comfortably all day, and typically don't even notice it's there.

Sponsor

Tucker and Garrett

Tucker Gunleather and Garrett Industries are strategic partners. Tucker Gunleather sells most of the holsters that Garrett makes and the business is growing.
    Garrett is innovative and dependable and always looking to improve the product.
    Tucker himself concentrates on his leather gear and Garrett makes the kydex (Silent Thunder). New products are in the works from both sources.
    I'm the common link. I own the Tucker Gunleather website and so I spend all my time with customers on the phone and answering emails, while Tucker and Garrett are working hard to fill the orders.

Does that help explain the relationship?

Rob

GM, just to help you a little with Florida geography, PSL is 1 hour north of West Palm Beach. You are about 25-30 south of me. Welcome to FL.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links