How do you carry in your car? - Page 2

How do you carry in your car?

This is a discussion on How do you carry in your car? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Something to consider is getting into an accident. I hope it doesn't happen to any of us, but just like the reasons we carry, it's ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How do you carry in your car?

Something to consider is getting into an accident. I hope it doesn't happen to any of us, but just like the reasons we carry, it's something that should be thought about. Having my gun on a console or seat makes me a bit nervous. Who knows where it will end up in an accident. I'm not concerned about it firing, just losing it, or it even becoming one hell of a projectile.

My Suburban has a center console that's very easy to open, I'm thinking about screwing in a cheap nylon holster either inside of it, or on my side of the outside. I'll post pics of my idea tonight, I'm sure others have done this or something similar.

A holster could be mounted anywhere. Under the steering wheel could work well, and any screw holes will be unnoticed.

Just some ideas.

I clip the holster to my E-brake in the Jeep. That way it's right there if I need it and I can throw a hat over it to conceal it if necessary.
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    On my hip, OWB or if IWB, I tuck any clothing that might get in the way BEHIND the grip. And when I buckle my seatbelt, just like Rugergirl. That way, IF I have to draw, I have a clear path of access and don't get hung up on the seatbelt or a shirt, losing precious seconds.

Unless I have to do the dreaded purse carry, in which case, it's holstered in my purse, and the purse is wide open, on the console right next to me. Again, easy and FAST access is key.
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

When driving I carry in a Ross driving Holster. It's a leather open end crossdraw driving holster with leather flap that slides under the belt and velcros over the front of the holster. Designed to be put on and removed easily while holding the handgun in a nearly horizontal position to the left of the belt buckle, allowing a quick draw while seated.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Hey Y'all: I like this question. I find CC on my person,when in a car, to be a bit much and uncomfortable in that confined position. I pocket carry and just take the firearm out of pocket holster and place it near me in the car. My question is: I live in SC and without looking up the specifics, what are the specifics of the firearm placement? I usually will put it in the glove compartment or the middle console but would love to leave it on the passenger front seat and covered with a ballcap--can I?
    Since we can't open carry, I would be very hesitant to get caught with a gun laying on the seat next to me. I presently suffer thru at least one of the combinations of; Rear-pocket carry (difficult to access), 4oclock IWB or OWB-inside-of-jacket (again difficult to access), or in the console (sill requires an awkward and obvious flip, plus having to reach in there - not very smooth). If I'm going into a bad neighborhood, as I sometimes have to do, I'll move my 4oclock IWB to 9oclock, and that gives me quick access, but I have to move it as soon as I get out of the car, and I don't always have good cover to discretely do so. I'm often carrying a BUG these days, so I'm going to experiment with an ankle hoster for days when I'm doing a lot of driving.

I am currently having Andrew's Leather make me a monarch shoulder holster just for when I am driving alot. Can't wait to get it. I am in a seated position alot with my work.

Ordinarily, I carry the same way as when I get in the car, usually a strongside IWB or occasionally a 2" Model 36 in a pocket holster.

If I know I'm going to have to disarm at my destination, I take holster and all and put them in the glovebox before leaving so that when I arrive, nobody will see me leave an unattended firearm in my car.

Recently, when it was very cold, I tried wearing the IWB crossdraw to make it easier to get to in the car and under my winter clothes. The jury is still out on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by PileDriver73 View Post
    Something to consider is getting into an accident. I hope it doesn't happen to any of us, but just like the reasons we carry, it's something that should be thought about. Having my gun on a console or seat makes me a bit nervous. Who knows where it will end up in an accident. I'm not concerned about it firing, just losing it, or it even becoming one hell of a projectile.

My Suburban has a center console that's very easy to open, I'm thinking about screwing in a cheap nylon holster either inside of it, or on my side of the outside. I'll post pics of my idea tonight, I'm sure others have done this or something similar.

A holster could be mounted anywhere. Under the steering wheel could work well, and any screw holes will be unnoticed.

Just some ideas.
    I recently velcro'd a Don Hume JIT between the console and the passenger seat. It is easy to move the gun from my Supertuck to the car holster and back while still seated in the car.

Many years ago I had a work related issue that required me being conscious to the point of leaving the house with my gun in hand and having it easily accessible on the drive into the city. I usually just placed it on the console then, but a sudden stop put it in the floor under my feet and I had to rethink accessibility.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound.

-- L. Neil Smith

Quote Originally Posted by PaxMentis View Post
    I recently velcro'd a Don Hume JIT between the console and the passenger seat. It is easy to move the gun from my Supertuck to the car holster and back while still seated in the car.
    I wish that option was available to me, but Ohio law requires that when in a vehicle, the firearm be in a holster on my body, in the closed glovebox or center console, in plain sight in a closed container with some sort of fastener, or in a locked container.

IWB on my hip at about 3 o'clock. I will sometimes have my j-frame in the truck also, in the center console when driving, and in a COM secure-it lock box if I leave the truck.

Another thought. YOu could always go the car gun route. A gun dedicated to staying in the car. I don't, because I don't feel I have an issue getting to mine. And there's always the issue of leaving the gun in the car. But there are a lot of folks who do car guns.

I carry a 1911 IWB at about 4 oclock, with a .380 crossdraw in the concealed holster pocket of my vest. The 1911 would be quite difficult to draw while seatbelted in place, thus the .380. Occasionally the .380 migrates to the armrest compartment however, still easily accessable by right hand. Close the lid and it's not visable. 2004 Dodge Neon if you're wondering.
    A 1911 is Not an obsession, it's simply a recognition that it's THE Gun. :-) All others are runner ups. And hey, if all else fails, aim for the nose and fling it to knock out your foe. Let's see y'all do that with a kel-Tec. ;-)

If I'm going to be in the car for an extended period of time I wear my Miami Classic shoulder rig.
    Walther P99 AS full size 9mm
    Kahr P9 compact 9mm

NRA
    Michigan Sheriff's Association
    “The key is to hit them hard, hit them fast, and hit them repeatedly. The one shot stop is a unit of measurement not a tactical philosophy.” Evan Marshall

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nightsonge View Post
    I carry a 1911 IWB at about 4 oclock, with a .380 crossdraw in the concealed holster pocket of my vest. The 1911 would be quite difficult to draw while seatbelted in place, thus the .380. Occasionally the .380 migrates to the armrest compartment however, still easily accessable by right hand. Close the lid and it's not visable. 2004 Dodge Neon if you're wondering.
    Bingo. 2nd gun accessable to draw while in a seat belt thats what I do. Unless I have my .44 magnum then its in a sholder rig.

if i will be spending sufficent time driving i put on my ankle holster. this is the best alternative i have discovered. and still keep my main sidearm on my right hip and ankle on left leg, that way i can draw and still us pedals. Please dont leave a gun in your car at all times(horrible idea) unless you have a well mounted lock box not glove box

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links