How do you carry in your car?

This is a discussion on How do you carry in your car? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by kelcarry Hey WHEC724: Another question: If you and several friends go off to a gun range and you are in a pickup ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: How do you carry in your car?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Hey WHEC724: Another question: If you and several friends go off to a gun range and you are in a pickup truck--can you have the weapons (no loaded) on the seat of the truck? There is no other place to put everything.
    First off, I wouldn't rely on some doofus like me for answers on that . Many of these laws are poorly worded and subject to interpretation. However, I would assume that lack of options is not an excuse for bending the rules. I'm frequently bumping into and working with LEO's, so I play it clean .

2. Remove Ads

Here is the issue I have with shooting from within a car or truck. First, having a firearm readily available in your console or passenger seat or whatever is obviously faster than my method, not by much, but its faster. My problem and why I dont teach it is sound (this is not my primary reason, if your life is in danger going def is the last of your worries) and range of mobility. You can shoot out the front window and engage targets to your front, or shoot out your driver side window to your left, or passenger window to your right. You are in a seated position and have to twist around to hit all these marks, let alone shooting one handed is not exactly accurate but can be done if point shooting has been learned. Getting out of the vehicle is by far more advantageous in a gun fight, you can move and find cover more easily and have a greater range of motion.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Hey WHEC724: Thanks for reply. Just wish the people in Columbia spent more time using the king's language with more definitude and less time worrying about the Country of Argentina.
    PS: First time I got to use the word "definitude". Always enjoy writing something on these forums or into local paper. Fine tunes the old brain.
    PPS: Will stick to normal CC while in car and all of us, when we go to range, will use our closed cases with unloaded guns and put the cases wherever we can in the pickup; does not seem right to throw cases in the back of an open pickup. Seems to be the only way to transport.

My truck has a center console unit with a small open space under the radio and heater controls. It's the perfect size for any of my carry guns to fit in. It has a rubber pad on the bottom with a small lip along the outside edge. When people get in my truck, they can't even tell one is in there because the black butt of the grip blends in and it is at the bottom of the verticle part of the console where the drink holders come out horizontally. I'll have to take a picture and post it...not today, we've got about 12" of snow already and still coming down.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

This is probably one of the few situations where lefties may have a slight advantage. Being holstered on my left hip, the seatbelt doesn't get in the way. No need to change anything once I get in the car.
    "Leave the gun. Take the cannoli" Clemenza

I loved the compartment in my tahoe just under the radio. My glock 26 would fit perfect and was very hard to see. It was a sinch to get to.

Quote Originally Posted by BAGMAN View Post
    This is probably one of the few situations where lefties may have a slight advantage. Being holstered on my left hip, the seatbelt doesn't get in the way. No need to change anything once I get in the car.
    +1. But if I weren't a lefty, I'd probably just keep a cheap mouse gun in the center console.

My cz82 resides in a cheap Blackhawk #1 in between my seat.. If I am stopped for any reason I can easily lay the holster on my dash or console.. plus the officer can see it even between the seat if he's paying attention...

Normally, I carry my trusty Browning Hi-Power in an IWB rig in the 3:45 position behind my right hip bone. However, at times when my paranoia meter is tipping towards the red zone, I'll remove it and tuck it high behind my right thigh.

No, it doesn't move around as I drive, and it's always within instant reach. No need for stowing the gun in the center console, glove box, or nailing it to the driver side door. It's simple, it works, and what's more important to me - it's cheap!
    Tony Walker
    Author of the critically-acclaimed How to Win a Gunfight, a common sense approach to self defense.

See my website at www.tonywalkerbooks.com

I took a fobus for my 1911 and screwed it onto the inside wall of the center console. It is very easy to leave the console open when driving and the access is great. IMHO I have found this much easier and safer than trying to draw from holster that is covered by seatbelt.

VIP Member
    I agree with 'Thumper' in that it’s on me all the time. Setting the gun aside will eventually lead to trouble. Be it forgetting to grab it while you go into a store, or some other kind of misstep. I once dismounted to go inside the post office so I placed it inside the door panel and completely forgot about it. Not good! Just when you think that could never happen to you, it will.
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

When carrying my Glock 26, OWB, 3:30, it stays on my hip...HOWEVER...I also have my .357 in the console of my truck, so that all I have to do is raise the cover and retrieve. If carrying my BUG, S&W642, it is on my ankle. If for some reason I'm carrying my LCP, then I just move from right front pocket to inside coat pocket while driving. Works for me...
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Hkchris View Post
    I loved the compartment in my tahoe just under the radio. My glock 26 would fit perfect and was very hard to see. It was a sinch to get to.
    That sounds like the compartment in my 06 Chevy Silverado. Just the right size for my XD40sc, PT709, or any of my snubs. It would have to be a very bazare crash angle for one to come flying out.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

car carry

Hey all you Great Americans....

I carry mine in a pouch between my legs in the car..Easy access and they would never see it coming..

car carry

Hey all you Great Americans....

I carry mine in a pouch between my legs in the car..Easy access and they would never see it coming..

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links