What Lawyers Need to Know?

What Lawyers Need to Know?

This is a discussion on What Lawyers Need to Know? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If you were a criminal defense attorney attending a class on firearms, what kind of technical and legal information would benefit you most?...

Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: What Lawyers Need to Know?

  1. #1
    Ex Member Array Deanimator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rocky River, Ohio
    Posts
    908

    What Lawyers Need to Know?

    If you were a criminal defense attorney attending a class on firearms, what kind of technical and legal information would benefit you most?


  2. #2
    Ex Member Array Treo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,098
    This quote

    "Any Lawyer worth his salt will tell the suspect in no uncertain terms to make no statement to the police under any circumstances "

  3. #3
    Ex Member Array Deanimator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rocky River, Ohio
    Posts
    908
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    This quote

    "Any Lawyer worth his salt will tell the suspect in no uncertain terms to make no statement to the police under any circumstances "
    He shouldn't have a bar card if he doesn't know that.

    I'm thinking more in terms about firearms related things that come up during discovery, trial, etc. I'm talking about the kinds of "facts" that prosecutors sometimes glean from old episodes of "The A Team".

    Based on well known examples, like the guy who just got released on appeal, some defense attorneys allow things to be slipped by them that never should have if they had any knowledge of firearms at all.

  4. #4
    Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,974
    I would think a basic understanding of how a pistol, shotgun and rifle works as well as gun "terms" and be able to name basic parts of said firearms.

    If the lawyer can be quoted with saying something about a gun without sounding like an idiot such as "he loaded a clip in the glock" (when it was a magazine inserted into a pistol)

    Eh maybe I'm just picky

  5. #5
    Ex Member Array Deanimator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rocky River, Ohio
    Posts
    908
    Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    I would think a basic understanding of how a pistol, shotgun and rifle works as well as gun "terms" and be able to name basic parts of said firearms.

    If the lawyer can be quoted with saying something about a gun without sounding like an idiot such as "he loaded a clip in the glock" (when it was a magazine inserted into a pistol)

    Eh maybe I'm just picky
    No, those are worthwhile things. I was thinking of some things less obvious.

    Of course I grind my teeth when people fumble the obvious.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Array boscobeans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    upstate new york
    Posts
    1,178
    Something I think a defense lawyer must be well versed in are the truths vs the lies that exist about guns and bullets. Terms used like machine gun, automatic, cop-killer, dum-dum, black talon bullets spinning like a buzz saw, and the like.

    Depending on the area many jury members may have never even seen a real gun in person. Their only experience or knowledge is from watching the BS on TV or in movies. The above terms can easily stick in a juror's mind during a trial and swing a decision.

    "John Doe was at home when Mr PERP broke down his front door to ask for directions. Mr. Doe fired three shots from his .45 caliber automatic pistol. Mr. PERP fell dead on the spot killed as the almost explosive lead and copper dum-dum bullets, spinning at 30,000 revolutions a minute, tore through his chest. Yes, bullets that cannot even be used by our Military in a war. Bullets outlawed by the Geneva Convention. Yes he fired three of these bullets. Even though just one of these specially designed bullets becomes a blender as it kills anyone in its way."

    As far as the legal aspects... That's where law school and prior positive defense trial transcripts might come into play.

    IANAL and this is OMO . I am sure there is a lot more to it than that.

    bosco

  7. #7
    Ex Member Array Deanimator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rocky River, Ohio
    Posts
    908
    Quote Originally Posted by boscobeans View Post
    Something I think a defense lawyer must be well versed in are the truths vs the lies that exist about guns and bullets. Terms used like machine gun, automatic, cop-killer, dum-dum, black talon bullets spinning like a buzz saw, and the like.

    Depending on the area many jury members may have never even seen a real gun in person. Their only experience or knowledge is from watching the BS on TV or in movies. The above terms can easily stick in a juror's mind during a trial and swing a decision.

    "John Doe was at home when Mr PERP broke down his front door to ask for directions. Mr. Doe fired three shots from his .45 caliber automatic pistol. Mr. PERP fell dead on the spot killed as the almost explosive lead and copper dum-dum bullets, spinning at 30,000 revolutions a minute, tore through his chest. Yes, bullets that cannot even be used by our Military in a war. Bullets outlawed by the Geneva Convention. Yes he fired three of these bullets. Even though just one of these specially designed bullets becomes a blender as it kills anyone in its way."

    As far as the legal aspects... That's where law school and prior positive defense trial transcripts might come into play.

    IANAL and this is OMO . I am sure there is a lot more to it than that.

    bosco
    Those are the sorts of things I'm talking about.

    Thanks.

    Any more?

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Lawyers and NRA
    By jkvan87 in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: April 22nd, 2012, 07:01 PM
  2. Lawyers
    By ZRT600 in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: January 18th, 2010, 11:48 PM
  3. Any lawyers out there to help with a question
    By fitz777 in forum The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: May 2nd, 2009, 06:27 PM
  4. Lawyers; In The Event Of...
    By CelticWolf in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: November 12th, 2007, 11:07 AM
  5. Lawyers
    By TC_FLA in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: April 5th, 2007, 09:13 PM

Search tags for this page

i need a lawyer for rocky river
,

robert any lawyer worth his salt

Click on a term to search for related topics.