I just purchased a level 2 kevlar vest

This is a discussion on I just purchased a level 2 kevlar vest within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; to go along with my everyday carry setup. I will wear it for a week to see it it's something I wan't to commit to. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I just purchased a level 2 kevlar vest

I just purchased a level 2 kevlar vest

to go along with my everyday carry setup. I will wear it for a week to see it it's something I wan't to commit to. I am hoping that it doesn't make me sweat. Other than that, it's lightweight, low profile, and very comfortable.

I know that many who ccw, don't wear armor. However, if all goes well, I hope I will be able to transition into any uncomfortableness like I did when I first started carrying. The vest is not rated to stop rifle rounds, but it's a start in the right direction as I welcome any tactical advantage in a firefight.

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Being the sweat-bucket I am I doubt I could tolerate wearing one, tho just occasionally would like the option.

Any pic of this one? How was cost - steep?
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I am with Chris, I have to have air blowing on me at all times while in the car. I just plain run hot. I have looked at vests but couldn't tolerate the heat it would generate. Winter wear would be ok though.
    George Washington: "A free people ought to be armed."

Wore one daily for 14 years. Uncomfortable?? Yes......except when someone pointed a gun at me.

Still wear one when traveling or training.

Quality vests are not cheap..and I always bought the best. The one I keep in the truck is 20+ years old and i would not hesitate to wear it today. Newer ones are lighter and more comfortable.

They do a nice job keeping the chest warm...regardless of the temp!!!
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

6000' above sea level - Albuquerque NM USA
    Be sure to wear rubber shoes with it - a licensed, carrying citizen is more likely to be struck by lightning than shot.

So why didn't you get Threat Level III?

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Not only in a firefight but also attack from a bladed object and to a certin extent, impact wounds.

I can't/wont, but if you can tolerate it,hey.......more power to ya. -------

For a civilian I think that is a waste of money. Now, if you got money to waste, I could give you my information and send me a check.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Lead Moderator
    I have 1 I use for night time prowlers now. keep it under the mattress and ready to go. I say wear it if ya can stand it. As for me, i sweat too much. Heck I will wear a t shirt in the winter , while the girlfriend is bundled in swaters and 4 layers of clothes.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Not in Michigan

Rocky,

I agree with you and if I remember correctly they are illegal to own in Michigan unless you are LEO.

Eric

PJH
    And I thought I was the only one who could sweat through my shirt in the middle of winter.

-Paul

Lead Moderator
    Never heard of body armor illegal in MI. Last I knew it was illegal for felons to possess though.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

OK everyone, I just finished the day with the vest and I must say, I am impressed with how comfortable I was. It did keep me pretty warm though but since I'm a pretty skinny guy it would probably take more to make me sweat.

P95 Carry, to answer your question, I purchased the vest used but in good condition from a pawn shop for $90, I'll try and post a pic of it on me with all of my carry gear so you guys can see how easily I can conceal it all. And Erich, It's actually a level 3A, I just checked the inside panels and it really made my day when I found that out. A good condition (made in 2001) level 3A for only $90 is a steal in my mind. Did I just get luck or is this vest not that good compared to others? Looking back on it, I should have checked it before I purchased it but the guy said it was a level 2 and I believed him as I have done business with him before. Guess I just lucked out this time.

Here is the link to the website for my model of vest, its called the scorpion but they don't list prices so I have no idea what it's worth. http://body-armor.com/vest_style_display.php?style=3&
    if you look at the bottom of the page and select the armor lite ballistic series, you can see my model number GP-1000-IIIA.

I don't even think I have to decide if I will wear this everyday. This much protection for so little cost, not just money wise but also concealment and comfort wise. You'll see what I mean when I post a pic. The only problem I can forsee with wearing this armor is that when I go to give someone a hug, they will probably feel it and wonder why I'm wearing it, possibly blowing my cover, maybe I'll just wear a thick jacket when I go to visit family, it's Washington state so thats not too unusual. Anyway, sorry if I was rambling, I'm just excited because I thought as a poor college student, I wouldn't be able to afford a Level3A, I thought I was getting a steal when I thought it was a level 2. Basically, I think I've got a new addition to my daily carry!

Sounds like a good deal to me, if it's undamaged. Those things aren't real cheap.

I've heard that vests are also credited with a few "saves" from ordinary vehicle accidents.

I don't know that I'd wear one on a daily basis unless I had been personally threatened, but if I had one I'd sure wear it to any public shooting range. Might save you from some idiot.

KC

Closed Account Array Steelhorse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SSKC
    ......but if I had one I'd sure wear it to any public shooting range. Might save you from some idiot. KC
    Even one idiot at the range is reason enough. I wear one everytime I go to the range.

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    Wearing avest makes just as much sense as CC. You're just as unlikely to need either a vest or a gun, but if you need the one it would be nice to have the other.

I never can undertand people who are willing to carry a gun that they're vastly unlikely to need, and then criticize those who decide to try a vest. Pot-Kettle.

If you can get used to wearing it I say go for it. I have a military IBAS without the plates that I keep around for truely SHTF situations. It's equivelent, more or less, to Level II.

I've thought about buying a used Level II or IIA myself.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links