Dare travel with higher end guns? - Page 2

Dare travel with higher end guns?

This is a discussion on Dare travel with higher end guns? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've finally concluded that I won't fly commercially with any firearm in my checked baggage that can't be easily replaced! Moral: Don't fly with any ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dare travel with higher end guns?

I've finally concluded that I won't fly commercially with any firearm in my checked baggage that can't be easily replaced!

Moral: Don't fly with any more than you can afford to lose!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain38 View Post
    I've finally concluded that I won't fly commercially with any firearm in my checked baggage that can't be easily replaced!

I fully agree!!!!!
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by cammo girl View Post
    In the olden days, when I flew often with long guns, the people checking you in would either put the "Firearms inside" tag inside OR outside on the bag. There seemed no rhyme or reason to which way they did it. I always preferred to have it inside the bag and would ask them to do it that way eventually. When inside the bag it would still give a screener an OK that they had been declared and checked.

I have not checked one since the TSA rules started but maybe this is still the case. Something to think about anyhow.
    Current law is NO MARKING on outside of luggage to indicate a firearm. Good website to review, has a nice presentation video on youtube.

http://deviating.net/firearms/

The key regulatory requirements to transporting firearms, firearm parts or ammunition in checked baggage are:

* You must declare all firearms to the airline during the ticket counter check-in process.
    * The firearm must be unloaded.
    * The firearm must be in a hard-sided container.
    * The container must be locked. A locked container is defined as one that completely secures the firearm from access by anyone other than you. Cases that can be pulled open with little effort do not meet this criterion. The pictures provided here illustrate the difference between a properly packaged and an improperly packaged firearm.
    * We recommend that you provide the key or combination to the security officer if he or she needs to open the container. You should remain present during screening to take the key back after the container is cleared. If you are not present and the security officer must open the container, we or the airline will make a reasonable attempt to contact you. If we can't contact you, the container will not be placed on the plane. Federal regulations prohibit unlocked gun cases (or cases with broken locks) on aircraft.
    * You must securely pack any ammunition in fiber (such as cardboard), wood or metal boxes or other packaging that is specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition.
    * You can't use firearm magazines/clips for packing ammunition unless they completely and securely enclose the ammunition (e.g., by securely covering the exposed portions of the magazine or by securely placing the magazine in a pouch, holder, holster or lanyard).
    * You may carry the ammunition in the same hard-sided case as the firearm, as long as you pack it as described above.
    * You can't bring black powder or percussion caps used with black-powder type firearms in either your carry-on or checked baggage.

If you are a member of the NRA, even if you lose your weapons you have insurance.
    Bill and Izzie: Proud parents of a soldier.
    I thought of you all day today when I was at the zoo.

Say I'm traveling out of state, can I ups my firearm to the hotel I will be staying at?
    I know you can't ship it complete, holsters and slide in one package,frame and ammo in the other.

I can insure the packages and most nice hotels are pretty trustworthy when it comes to ups items.
    I would trust ups over the airlines.
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I know you can't ship it complete, holsters and slide in one package,frame and ammo in the other.
    I'm guessing that is not legal. The part with the receiver is considered the "gun".

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Well, if I'm traveling to Detroit, should I take my Glock, my Kimber, or my KelTec?

Detroit = Murder City, Inc.

Not a tough choice, what's my life worth?
    Bring ALL of them. But the Wayne County Prosecutor has a bee up her derriere that a 'concealed pistol license means one yeah 1 pistol can be carried. Even if she knows it will get thrown out of court.

And yeah, they confiscate the firearms until it is thrown out. Problem is, things get lost, damaged, substituted during that process.

I for the most part stay out of Detroit and keep to the nice semi quiet suburbs :-)

Mel
    Walther P99 AS full size 9mm
    Kahr P9 compact 9mm

NRA
    Michigan Sheriff's Association
    “The key is to hit them hard, hit them fast, and hit them repeatedly. The one shot stop is a unit of measurement not a tactical philosophy.” Evan Marshall

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Wow, have I been away from here for that long? I had a PM from the end of Sept. greeting me as I signed on (Sorry!).

Yep, I've carried my Wilson Combat in checked baggage. Considering whether to do it again this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Retsupt99
    Well, if I'm traveling to Detroit, should I take my Glock, my Kimber, or my KelTec?

Bring what you feel best with. But TBH, you're hardly more likely to need it visiting here than I am to need mine visiting South Fla. Of course that largely depend on exactly where each of us hang out in either place, as well as chance, our condition of awareness, and a host of other factors.

Not suggesting for a moment you don't carry. You know I carry whenever/wherever legal, and as I understand it you do as well. Just as I think most responsible folk should

Quote Originally Posted by Mel5051
    Bring ALL of them. But the Wayne County Prosecutor has a bee up her derriere that a 'concealed pistol license means one yeah 1 pistol can be carried. Even if she knows it will get thrown out of court.

And yeah, they confiscate the firearms until it is thrown out. Problem is, things get lost, damaged, substituted during that process.

I for the most part stay out of Detroit and keep to the nice semi quiet suburbs :-)

Mel
    Really? This is complete news to me! I've not been hanging out at the proper sites I guess, maybe I'm just out of touch. Of course this has no basis in law, there is nothing mentioning quantity at all. The vague singular title of "Concealed Pistol License" is I presume what she's basing it on. Of course, if it's getting thrown out of court, and she persists in prosecuting, I'd think she'd run the risk of a suit of the County for harassment. Same for the Police/Sheriffs Dept. if they keep arresting.

Can you point me to any threads/articles/websites or organizations that I could go to to get me up to speed on this negative development? Important to me, as I am a Wayne County Resident, and I frequently do carry more than one handgun (in fact often have a secured dedicated gun in the vehicle for times when I am going to a prohibited zone, so when I am carrying on my person at other times, would be at risk).
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    The nice thing about putting a gun in your luggage is that you are then able to lock it with a lock that only you have the key or combo to. No outward marking are allowed (other than the lock, which you can only do with a firearm). So I would say your luggage is safer with a gun, than without, and since your bag gets screened while you are there to unlock it if necessary, you don't have to worry about anyone going through all your stuff.

There is always a chance that the whole bag will get lost though. I think they have insurrance to pay for that, but in general, I don't check anything that I am not willing to part with or is irreplacable.
    Walk softly ...

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post

If traveling to Detroit, I would recommend the 105 Howitzer.

Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    I'm guessing that is not legal. The part with the receiver is considered the "gun".
    but you can ship them as long as there not complete(from exp.)
    And your shipping them to yourself.
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

OK so now I am reduced to taking my P11 pretty much.
    I knew that gun was good for something!

I don't worry about it. I have insurance on every firearm. If one gets stolen in traveling, it will be replaced.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

FWIW several years ago I was part of a squad of guys that traveled all over the country to compete in skeet matches. All four of us had Kolar shotguns that were all valued at over 12K (2 sets of barrels and 3 sets of tubes) and we never had a problem with theft or damage by the airline. Without question you should have adequate insurance for your firearms at all times for home or travel

VIP Member
    If I were able to justify a Wilson Combat, I would carry it anywhere. Sure, it’s 3+k handgun but I see no reason to carry something less for a higher risk area.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links