A personal request as to those who carry... - Page 5

A personal request as to those who carry...

This is a discussion on A personal request as to those who carry... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by varob As I was reading through these post it brought up some memories of the battle scars I used to see at ...

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: A personal request as to those who carry...

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    As I was reading through these post it brought up some memories of the battle scars I used to see at a public range I use to belong to. It seemed like every week there was a new hole or blast mark where some kind of careless act took place.

Scary
    Funny you say that, I think it was the late 90s, the Covington Police dept. of Ky. replaced the lighting in their indoor range. I got to take several of the spot lights home for my use. I wish I could have used more of them, except they were full of holes. Bullet holes.

Yes these were mounted on the ceiling, and were full of holes.

My wife has the same problem with not being able to close only one eye.

In a real life situation, do you really want to close one eye, and loose that field of view? I have found that with practice, point shooting with both eyes open can be well within combat accuracies at close ranges.

For now, when target shooting, I just tape over her non-dominant eyepiece, and she does quite well. Her point shooting needs some work, but she has a CTC laser grip on her 642 to help out until she gets the hang of it.

I was taught to shoot with both eyes open. I can't imagine doing it any other way, especially in a combat-type situation.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Thanks for this logical and well thought out post. This gentlemen should by all means have learned a valuable lesson that day from you Jang, if he didn't, well you tried and that's all anyone can do.

Good sound post KelCarry, I agree with the portion that you should at least be able to hit the target during the course, lord at the very least.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Note: This gentleman was the hands down worst shot I have ever directly witnessed in my life.
    WOW!

I have had to deal with some pretty bad shooters over the years, but this one sounds worse than anything I've ever had.

I agree with you 100%. If you are going to carry, it is your responsibility to be safe. As Massad Ayyob so eloquently puts it, "Each bullet you fire at a bad guy, has a lawyer attached."
    "We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

U. S. Navy, Retired
    NRA Life Endowment Member
    Firearms Instructor

The fear of litigation is overblown.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    It is scary that there are people without the necessary shooting skills, legal background, or emotional control who carry firearms. This includes both good guys and bad ones. I have found the firearms teaching and educational system to be both welcoming and accommodating. I wish more people took advantage of it.

Thank you Janq for attempting to show this gentleman the light. He is the one who must take the next step.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by C Paul Lincoln View Post
    These stories make me realize how fortunate I am to have my own range at home. How do you guys deal with this?

CP Lincoln
    Oh! *perks up*

Would you like a new best friend?

Just kidding. I have friends out my way here that built a range on their place....it's the weather that keeps me off of it more than anything.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyhead View Post
    ...In a real life situation, do you really want to close one eye, and loose that field of view?...
    Please re-read the full, not parsed, statement as in my OP detail with regard to why I asked the gentleman to shut an eye for me.

Or go here to my followup there after for specific clarity as I had addressed the question; http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...67-post37.html

I was not and did not suggest shooting with one eye closed as a method.
    Although if he/we had been for example practicing bullseye type shooting, and actually handling a gun to shoot, then in such case closing an eye would be an appropriate suggestion as per norm for that sport. Which was not the case here.

- Janq
    Last edited by Janq; January 30th, 2010 at 11:13 PM.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Jang:

Sorry, I was not referring to your post, but another.

I fully understand what you were doing at the range and why.

My apology for not using a quote and thereby causing confusion,.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Oops...!

I totally agree with you guys.
    God gave us two eyes for a reason, and he knew from the outset we'd at times be using them in a fight.

Two eyes is a distinct tactical advantage in combat over the old school/TV cowboy one eyed squint n' shoot method.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I belong to a private shooting club. Most times during the week it is empty, and I work shifts so that is when I choose to shoot. No issues and I can practice draws, etc by myself.

Weekends aren't bad either, most people are pretty good and includes some really good amateur and police shooters.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

Performance requirements?

TN has preformance requirements. 50 rounds at 3, 7, and 15 yards. My understanding is that noone fails. In my class an elderly lady, new to shooting, had a new dao revolver, Was failing. The instructor had her rent a sa/do auto to pass the class.

I'm not in favor of the performance requirement! If this women needs her gun it's likely to be point blank range.

I wish the class had spent more time on how NOT to carry a gun. I fear standing line at wallmart and someone fumbling around in a purse with a dao no manual safety in that purse. Or a Plaxico Buris (sp?) situation.

This is a perfect example of why people are AGAINST letting just anybody have/carry a handgun.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by TCWVHW View Post
    This is a perfect example of why people are AGAINST letting just anybody have/carry a handgun.

Tom

The same can be said about people having kids, and yet...what power do we/should we have to restrict that right?

As it is, at least gun ownership can be restricted by felony convictions and mental health issues.

(Little bit 'o Devil's Advocate there, sorreh)
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Sponsored Links