Las Vegas bound. Carry question.

This is a discussion on Las Vegas bound. Carry question. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First, I'll preface this in that I know I am responsible to verify all "facts", laws, etc. and should not rely on the folks in ...

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar

First, I'll preface this in that I know I am responsible to verify all "facts", laws, etc. and should not rely on the folks in the anonymous Internet for legal advice.

I also know the area to which I am traveling, having lived there for a few months in 2007.

Now, onto my question. I am going to Las Vegas for a few days of training (career type training). This will include my living on site at a Union training facility, and going to school there during the day.

I have no intention of carrying while in the classroom setting. I do however think I'd like to take a pistol with me, both for in my "dorm room" (like a hotel, and I would suspect to be considered my "home"). I do know Nevada does currently honor the Michigan CPL. I even have several firearms registered with the locals (not nec. I am sure for out of town visitors, but again, I was living there for a time).

My question revolves to one or two specific notations in their "prohibited locations" I find at the site linked from Handgunlaw.us.

Prohibited Locations

* A permit holder must NOT carry a concealed firearm into:
    * Any facility of a law enforcement agency.
    * A prison, city or county jail, or detention facility.
    * A courthouse or courtroom.
    * A public airport and/or a public building that is located on the property of a public airport.
    * A public building that has a metal detector at each public entrance.
    * A public building that has a sign posted at each public entrance indicating that no firearms are allowed in the building.
    * Any facility of a public or private school without written permission.
    * Any facility of a vocational/technical school, or the University of Nevada, or Community College System without written permission.
    * Any other building owned or occupied by the Federal Government, the state, or local government.
    * Any other place where carrying a concealed firearm is prohibited by state or federal law.

The above provisions do not apply to a judge in the courthouse or courtroom he presides or employees with his authorization. They are also not applicable to the employee's of the above facilities. Violation of this section is a misdemeanor.
    Specifically, the area I added bold to the text. It would depend on a definition I would think, however I will be wearing a tag that says "owner" in the facility, as we do collectively own the place. And it is not a school generally open to the public. I've asked and have been told there are no metal detectors or signs. Again, not intending to carry on any part of campus other than in my room and to and from my rental car. What are your thoughts on this?
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Wow those crickets are chirping loudly!

53 reads and no input at all? Cool, I'll work it out. And I pretty well covered it in my opening remarks I guess .
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Well that's a hard one. Unions in general in my experience are pretty anti freedom. I'd say to properly conceal it, not ask anybody, and not worry about it.

Note-by properly conceal I don't mean some big G19 or whatever covered, barely, under a shirt. I mean concealment that you'd bet your job on.

Well, since you don't have a CCW valid in NV, how would you carry anyway? The only way would be to OC, and I doubt that will sit well with the unies.

Also, if it is a privately owned company with a training center (like McDonalds Hamburger University for instance) I don't think it is a non-carry place by law. But again, the law is for concealed carry, not open carry. There is not a single law against OC in the state, so technically you could OC in a school, but I would advise against it.

"Specifically, the area I added bold to the text. It would depend on a definition I would think, however I will be wearing a tag that says "owner" in the facility, as we do collectively own the place"
    Do you own the place/business/school?
    "* Any facility of a vocational/technical school, or the University of Nevada, or Community College System without written permission."
    Give yourself written permission!
    S&W M&P 9C
    RUGER LCP
    S&W 5906
    COLT DET. SPEC.
    S&W 686-6"
    "If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck", Author un-known

Quote Originally Posted by G19inLV View Post
    Well, since you don't have a CCW valid in NV, how would you carry anyway? The only way would be to OC, and I doubt that will sit well with the unies.

Also, if it is a privately owned company with a training center (like McDonalds Hamburger University for instance) I don't think it is a non-carry place by law. But again, the law is for concealed carry, not open carry. There is not a single law against OC in the state, so technically you could OC in a school, but I would advise against it.
    Nevada honors the Michigan Concealed Pistol License. He can carry concealed in NV with his MI permit.

Why not simply call the facility and ask?
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Does Michigan offer non-resident permits? I ask because MI permit is good in more states than my Utah permit. Thanks!

Resident only. We honor all resident permits.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum Mikie View Post
    Does Michigan offer non-resident permits? I ask because MI permit is good in more states than my Utah permit. Thanks!
    No, sorry. Michigan only honors permits issued by the State you reside in. The upside is, they (we) honor ALL States permits/licenses (issued to their residents) even if that State does not honor ours.

Quote Originally Posted by G19in LV
    Well, since you don't have a CCW valid in NV, how would you carry anyway?
    I guess I should have clarified that. Yes, NV now does honor my Michigan license (that is pretty new, we were just added less than a year ago I think it was).

Quote Originally Posted by JoeCS1
    Do you own the place/business/school?
    In a manner of speaking, yes. It is owned by my union, and we (collectively) do own it. They do issue us badges that say "owner", but of course there are people in charge of the facility. I think it would be far fetched to consider myself having the authority to give myself written permission.

But beyond that, I don't plan to carry through the facility or while in classroom/shop areas. The purpose is for defense in my abode (like a hotel room, but at the facility which might be a technical violation), and then when I venture out off the grounds to various eateries clubs and attractions.

I did ask the local Business agents here, if there were metal detectors or signage. They say no to detectors, and saw no signage. I did explain why I was asking (not their favorite topic, but they know better at this point than to make an issue when several of us there were looking for the answer for the same reason). Not really interested in tipping my hand to anyone there to call and ask.

Whether it's a trade school as defined is the biggest question. While in a way it may be, it is not open to the public, not even open to us to sign up, we have to be invited to attend a few specialized classes. Mostly, the school is used to develop curriculum and train the instructors for our Apprenticeship programs throughout the Country.

Thanks for all the responses, I've pretty much decided to take my 1911, some proper holsters and cover garments. I have a cabled lock box, and can leave it in the rental car during class, go out for the evening, then bring it to my room at night. That will minimize any carrying on the property (in fact I could unload it and place it in a back pack which should relegate it to being transported as opposed to carried concealed, until I reach the vehicle).
    Regards, T Bone.

While in the NV area, you may want to consider taking a class at this location. I have yet to go there but it seems like a good place to get some training

Gun training | Firearms Training
    If Guns kill people then all of mine are defective!
    My idea of gun control is using BOTH hands!

Permits in: ND (resident), CT, UT, FL, AZ & MN
    North Dakota Concealed Carry Instructor
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

Yes, Front Sight is on my "to do" list, but unfortunately this trip won't allow time for that. Barely more than my work training, can't stay extra days, have a wedding to go to the day after my return. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Regards, T Bone.

I have attended the 4 Day Defensive Handgun Training at Front Sight and I have to say it was well worth it (even though I got to attend for free!) I promised myself that if I were to ever own a gun that I would take some sort of training course first. I never wanted to own a gun until I moved to the Las Vegas area. I purchased a Glock 26 (intending to someday carry concealed) and attended the Front Sight training. I was so afraid to even touch the gun and had no idea how to use it when I went. Halfway through that first day I already felt so comfortable handling the gun because I had learned how to do so safely. After 4 days, I felt like I had been handling the gun my whole life. I eventually got my CCW and decided that the Glock was too bulky to carry, even in my purse, so I just got a Ruger LCP to carry. If you ever do attend Front Sight, be sure and try to attend before the summer months. I attended in June and it was dreadfully hot and of course you are outside all day.

Links