What condition do you carry your ________ (fill in gun type) ccw in?

This is a discussion on What condition do you carry your ________ (fill in gun type) ccw in? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am curious about this. I hear and read different things. Chambered, not, safety on or off, cocked, etc. I am trying to learn more ...

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: What condition do you carry your ________ (fill in gun type) ccw in?

Distinguished Member

Question What condition do you carry your ________ (fill in gun type) ccw in?

I am curious about this. I hear and read different things.

Chambered, not, safety on or off, cocked, etc. I am trying to learn more about the real world of cc and how to balance safety with performance.

I am carrying my LCP without one in the chamber but there are those that say this is worthless.

FYI in my state that is considered "loaded".

2. Remove Ads

I always carry chambered, safety on, or in the case of the Glock, just chambered.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

Cool

Condition One. Full mag and one in the chamber. It's the only way!

Glock 21... always chambered and ready if needed.
    13 + 1 of .45ACP!

I'm confident in the gun's security and safety, but also have an additional level of comfort by ensuring it's always holstered in a locking-retention holster! No need for the trigger to be exposed until in my hand.
    Boomer Sooner!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cammo girl View Post

Chambered, not, safety on or off, cocked, etc. I am trying to learn more about the real world of cc and how to balance safety with performance.

I am carrying my LCP without one in the chamber but there are those that say this is worthless.

How quickly can you draw your gun and rack the slide? Can you do that as fast as you can draw and pull the trigger?

My gun does not have an external safety, it is has a de-cocking lever. I carry 1 in the chamber and magazine topped off to full capacity. First shot is DA, remainder are SA until gun is empty or hammer is dropped by way of the de-cocking lever.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Chambered and ready to go. No saftey switch just the grip safety and glock trigger. Springfield XD 9sc

Glocking it with one in the chamber and a full mag.

I carry a .357 mag with all wheels loaded
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

GLOCK 19 in a Crossbreed Supertuck, complete with full 15 round magazine and one live bullet in the chamber. Oh yeah I keep my boogerfinger off of the boomswitch until I'm ready to bring the pain...

Joker1
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Senior Moderator
    If you are going to carry a gun, carry it as it is meant to be used.

Jacking a round into the chamber requires two hands for most people.

Can you guarantee that you will have both hands at your disposal when you need them the most? Can you jack a round in the chamber while keeping both eyes on the threat? Can you do it when someone is grabbing or hitting you?

Don't handicap yourself. Not keeping a round in the chamber is a training issue that comes from lack of confidence.

Get by that and carry properly.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

The state may consider that loaded, but in the real world it's as good as empty for all of the reasons that I'm sure you've already read here and in other forums. I'm a LEO, when I put on my gun, it is ready for action because if I need it I probably REALLY need it to go bang right then and there's no time to fool with racking the slide. There's no difference between me carrying my gun for work and you carrying yours for self defense. If you need to use it, it needs to be ready.

I carry all of my handguns fully loaded - pistols: round chambered/full mag, revolvers: full cylinder. As to safeties, cocked or not, etc, that depends on the gun. In the case of your LCP (and my P3AT), there are no safeties other than a long trigger pull and the one between your ears. However, the design of the gun is such that it can be carried safely with a round in the chamber and it will not fire unless the trigger is pulled, even if dropped, and it will never do anything by itself.

A loaded gun is always faster to fire than an unloaded one. Anybody that tells you otherwise is full of crap.
    “Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

Distinguished Member
    Archer51: How fast? Although I am working on it, it's far from seamless. This is precisely why I am bringing this up.

Classes don't really teach you much about actually CARRYING it (holsters, condition, etc).

I don't want to acquire bad or unsafe habits as a beginner. I started carrying it without bullets or magazine just to get used to the idea. Now I feel fine with a full mag but unchambered. Maybe the chambering is the next step after I get a few more hundred rounds through it and more practice.

I probably look like a real knucklehead here but this is helping me think through the process.
    Last edited by cammo; January 29th, 2010 at 06:44 PM. Reason: additional thoughts

Senior Moderator
    I don't want to acquire bad or unsafe habits as a beginner.
    That is commendable. Carrying a gun with an unloaded chamber is a bad habit.

How fast is it?

Look at it like this. If I grab you and slam you to the ground, are you going to be able to pull the gun out,use both of your hands to jack a shell in the chamber and raise it up to shoot me?Do you think that I will stand there and let you or will I step on your arm or try to kick the gun out of your hand?

Its a brutal world out there.

Now, lets say all of the above happens. You get the unloaded gun out of your pocket or holster or whereever it is and you simply shoot me.

How much faster is it?

Its fast enough to be a matter of life or death.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

1911 cocked, locked and fully loaded, plus the 1 in the chamber. My uncle-in-law, will not carry with one in the chamber. That is how he had to carry in the Army. I keep trying to trade him his G36 for a rock. I keep tellin him he will be able to get it into action quicker. Just so you don't think I'm a cheapskate, I got him a really shiney, polished rock, way prettyer than the Glock
    Like arrows in the hand of a warrior, so are the children of ones youth, blessed is he who has a quiver full of them.They will not be ashamed, they will speak with thier enemies at the gate.

Psalm 127:4-5

Archer51: How fast? Although I am working on it, it's far from seamless. This is precisely why I am bringing this up.

Classes don't really teach you much about actually CARRYING it (holsters, condition, etc).

I don't want to acquire bad or unsafe habits as a beginner.
    Then start carrying your gun as it was made to be carried. Simpler is better, that's one of the reasons behind the DAO semi-auto design like your LCP. No safeties, no decocker, just draw and fire, like a revolver. By messing around with trying to be fast with racking the slide when you draw, you're creating a situation where more can go wrong than by just carrying the gun loaded. Like I said, when you need a gun, you probably need it right then and there's no time for messing around. That gun won't do anything on it's own, loaded or not, as long as you don't pull the trigger it won't fire, it is safe.

Try this, load your gun, one in the chamber, full mag. Put it in it's holster and set it on the kitchen table. Check on it from time to time and you will find that it doesn't move, it doesn't fire, it doesn't do anything and without somebody to activate it it never will. Now, there's no difference between it sitting on the table in it's holster or on your belt or in your purse in it's holster. You don't need to fear it, you control it, it will only work when you want it to.

Stop practicing the draw and rack, you're learning bad habits and creating risk. Instead, use that time for proper practice.
    “Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Links