Defensive Carry banner

I finally joined the +1 carry club

5K views 61 replies 41 participants last post by  Cold Warrior 
#1 ·
Since I got my permit about 2 months ago, I have been carrying a pf-9 every day, ever since israeli style. I just had a fear of carrying +1, not because I was worried about pulling the trigger (I am very confident in my safe gun handling), but I was just paranoid about mechanical failure of the gun, or somehow the round igniting without the primer being struck. I knew all the reasons why I should carry +1 I just couldn't seem to get over my fears. After seeing the video of the store keeper shot and killed fumbling trying to rack his gun, it really got me to thinking of the possibility of screwing up racking the slide under stress...after reading all the posts on here and ktog.org with all the reasons you should have one in the pipe, I loaded one in the pipe and went about my day...I will admit for the first hour or so I was nervous...but after getting over my fears I will now carry +1 all the time...thanks to everyone whos comments may have helped me get over my issue.

#3 ·
Repetitive practice will overcome your apprehension. However, I am NOT a fan of the Israeli style. I carry a 1911 ready to go. If I need it, the last thing I need to contend with is more mechanical processes. There's just too much at stake!

#11 ·
It's only "+1" if you top off the magazine after chambering a cartridge.

If you just have one in the chamber and are short a cartridge in the mag it's CONDITION 1.
Isnt it still Condition 1 if you carry +1 (and still have a full mag)?

#6 ·
Congratulations. You are better prepared for defense. Practice, always carry holstered (trigger covered), and use safe gun handling techniques. Stay safe and do not get complacent. Be very consciencious about posessing lethal force and carrying a loaded weapon. It is a huge responsibility. The bullet belongs to you even after it leaves the muzzle. Proper care and precautions in safe gun handling are your best measures. Take care.

#9 ·
Congrats on your new carry style...you've just saved a second for a potential 2 second decision.:comeandgetsome::hand10:

#16 ·
the term +1 comes from gun capacity...10 +1 means the mag holds 10 and +1 in the chamber for a total of 11 rounds available...

the fear of a round going off without a primer strike is like getting hit by lightening on a sunny day...and if one decided to go off under the same condition in a magazine youd be in worse shape than one coming out of the barrel and shooting you in the leg or foot...it would be like having a grenade in your holster....its a pretty safe tool and most accidents are due to negligence...not a failure of some sort...

#18 ·
Israeli Method
The "Israeli Method" is a point shooting system devised by the Israel Defense Force (IDF) for use in training personnel to use rifles, submachineguns, and handguns.
In its initial stages of training, it closely resembles the FSA method. In later stages, training in the rapid acquisition of the sights is taught, as well as a more advanced method of pointshooting.
In the United States and Canada, the term "Israeli Method" is generally believed to refer to the carrying of a semiautomatic pistol with its chamber empty. However, the carrying of the chamber empty served a safety consideration, rather than a tactical consideration. In past decades, due to severe budget constraints, IDF purchased and issued large quantities of antiquated sidearms, the mechanical safety of which was questionable. In recent decades, as budget concerns are increasingly alleviated and more modern, standardized sidearms are issued, this mode of carry is increasingly being phased out. It should also be noted that specialized personnel, such as police and special forces units, have typically carried newer and safer firearms, and have rarely used this mode of carry.

#31 ·
Please post a warning if you post that video. It made me sick to my stomach....and there was no blood or gore in it. It was the situation in general.

That said, I recommend seeing it. Brings the reality of 'your average gunfight' home. Even chambered, IMO that guy never should have gone for his gun.

#20 ·
congrads on your +1 membership. many times a post comes along about
carrying in cond.1.. and as stated many times, the odds of the weapon not
firing are way in your favor. when i first started ccw, i had similar fears and
after reading numerous posts about the subject and talking to people about
carrying +1, thier had mentioned that rather quickly, the fear desipated.
and thier were right. before ya know it, your going about your day ( in +1
mode) minus the fear. stay safe and good luck to ya.

#23 ·
+1 :bigdeal:

#26 ·
Since I got my permit about 2 months ago, I have been carrying a pf-9 every day, ever since israeli style. I just had a fear of carrying +1, not because I was worried about pulling the trigger (I am very confident in my safe gun handling), but I was just paranoid about mechanical failure of the gun, or somehow the round igniting without the primer being struck.
I don't believe there is a confirmed case of a holstered gun discharging of it's own volition in recorded history. :wave:

#27 ·
Well, before buying that second gun or that super fancy elephant trimmed holster, consider a reputable gun course. It will do wonders to build your confidence and skills. I’ve been shooting for a long time, although I plan to attend such a course as well.

#29 ·
Granted both of these had primer strikes, caused by identical mechanical failures. A spring powered firing pin held in place by a small lever, which over time, sheared through it's contact point on the firing pin.

#37 ·
:congrats: Congratulations on the upgrade :congrats:
I carry a Kimber 1911 myself "cocked & locked" in +1 condition of course :yup:

P.S.. Dont forget to top off that magazine after you rack 1 in the pipe :wink:

#42 ·
The video also shows the storeowner take multiple close-range hits and keep firing.

To me, this drove home the point about 'stopping' your attacker. Even more, since it obviously can be so hard to do so no matter how well or fast you shoot or how 'big' your bullets....it drove home that I should always look for a way to avoid a gunfight, period.

IMO, this storeowner shouldnt have gone for his gun, round chambered or not.

#44 ·
yea i thought thats what i saw also, so in a case like this where its just somebody coming to murder you, theres not going to be a whole lot you can do, but at least with one in the chamber, you might have a better chance of getting the scumbag also, so he cannot kill someone else

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.